• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Losing connection between PC & Valuejet

FatCat

OK, Mutoh VJ 1204 - Wasatch 6.5
The RIP computer is a stand-alone box, direct connected to the printer with a crossover cable, no switch, router etc. I can ping the printer with no problem...

I've printed some small things since getting my printer up and running last week with no problems. While attempting to run a 12' long banner on first attempt I get a Winsock error about 3/4 through. After talking to the Wasatch people I turn off my energy saver settings (which we believed was the problem) and attempted to re-print. This time barely got through 1/3 before error.

So I re-run a file from last week (small 18" x 24" yard sign print) No problems....!?!?!?

At this point just looking for some ideas/help as to what is causing this.

FatCat

Firmware is 1 version back from the current (1.17 or something like that - I was told by a Mutoh tech it is up to 1.18?)

No firewall setup as this is a standalone RIP station not on our network.

I was able to complete the job by lowering the resolution to 540 x 720 instead of 720 x 720. I'm thinking there is some kind of buffer/memory issue? Computer has 4 GB of ram and a 120GB hard drive and the printer is stock - so not really sure what the issue would be.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

randya

Could actually be a marginal cable or network card.

Quick and easy enough to replace the cable.

I would uninstall the network card under Device Manager and let Windows refind it and reload drivers.

Defrag the drive and check for available hard drive space.

All the Winsock errors I have seen have been from RIP to Network.

May be work uninstalling the RIP and reinstalling as well.

FatCat

Tried switching cable - no dice.
I'm running through the ethernet port on the MOBO - not a card.

Mutoh says it can't be a printer problem or the printer screen would show an error.

FWIW - this seems to be size related. If i RIP at a lower resolution I don't seem to have any issues. However, if I bump it up to 720 x 720 or 1440..etc. then I get the Winsock error immediately once the spooler starts.

*BTW - I just had a good friend stop in today who is an IT guru for a large fortune 100 company. He says the computer itself is good to go with no hardware issues. His gut is that it is RIP or settings related. I've been on and off the phone with Wasatch since yesterday, and hopefully am starting to get somewhere with this.

I will post back with what I find.

FatCat

I think you have hit on the issue - spooler.

Probably throughput more than size.

So if throughput is the issue, what is the cause or remedy?

Computer has a P4 2.8 and 4GB of ram, so I can't think it's processor related. Do I need a larger drive, or perhaps faster drive? Or should I be looking somewhere else?

*Sorry, not an IT guy.

randya

How much free disk space are you showing.

I am not sure about Wasatch but they may be ripping and printing at the same time.
if the drive fills up, it could interupt the ripping enough to starve the spooler.

It is also possible that the spooler is corrupt.

Have you tried deleting the Windows spooler and Wasatch and reinstalling?

Sorry, I am not much of a Wasatch expert....

FatCat

Hi Randy, I tried downloading and running the SEND.exe file from Mutoh's website. Unless I am doing something wrong (hard to say since there are no instructions) I am getting a connection denied message.

Still not sure what the issue is. Cable? Computer? Printer? etc.?

I can ping the printer, and I can print small files to the printer, just not hi-res or very large files???

This is driving me nuts and I've got lots of stuff I need to print.

*sigh*

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
-Sean.

poslive

Sean,
in Wasatch go to File-Preferences-Memory Tuning and check what your RIP memory allocation is set for. We have ours set to 500 and almost never have this issue and we print some enormous files at 720x720 dpi. If that doesn't help try the RIP and Print option from the Job tab before adding the image to the layout. That will RIP the image and send it to the Print queue. When you add it to your layout from there it will print immediately without having to RIP.

I hope this helps!

bbeens

To add on to TJ's comments, regarding the Rip and Print suggestion you would need to have 'Hold for Layout' check in 'Unit Options' otherwise the print would start before you could add the job to your layout.

Sean-

I left a VM for you this morning. Give me a call when you can and we can continue troubleshooting your issue.

Bryan

FatCat

YEEESSSSSSS!!!!!

Finally got the situation resolved. Very weird, and still don't know what to think of it. I was dealing with Chris at Mutoh (very nice and patient guy BTW) and he suggested I get a new crossover cable. So at lunch I stopped by our local Radio Shack to pick up a cable. In the process, I locked myself out of my truck - first time in my life, and still not sure how I managed to do it. Luckily my friendly mechanic wasn't too far away and drove over to help me get back in.

So, back to the shop, plug in the new cable and....nothing. Still getting same error. Chris and I go over everything again, top to bottom, ping printer, check and re-check settings...still no dice.

Finally Chris suggests we completely change IP addresses on both the computer and the printer. VOILA! Everything works!!!

Chris, you da' man!:notworthy:

I owe you a beer buddy.

*Bryan - sorry for not calling back yet, between being on the phone with Chris, running for a new cable, locking myself out of my truck and everything else - it's a wonder I can remember my own name. :Big Laugh:

Not sure WHY that fixed it, but the printer works now, and I am happy!!!!

bbeens

Sean-

No worries at all. Happy to hear you are up and working with no issues. I will also add my thanks to both Randy and Chris. I have always had good results when dealing with the Mutoh folk in AZ. If you have any further issues feel free to contact the Wasatch support line 1-800-683-8214.

Sean, unless you object I will close the open service log.

Bryan

negrozx

I am having the same isssue with Wasatch 6.3 and Windows 7 in a Mutoh VJ 1604... I do what you said here but still not working for me