• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lowballing at it's finest on vans

Bly

Wow, that layout is something else. As much as I sometimes love to bash poor design and get too frank on occasion, you just never know the back story though. The client may have totally insisted on what they want. I kinda have a feeling that may be the case here. The overall layout and design doesn't totally blow, it just has way too much info.

Could be a classic case of whoever was/is designing it just simply gave up and collected a paycheck. Sometimes you just can't educate a customer to benefits of less is more.

But man oh man, classic example of what NOT to do on a wrap!

I did a signboard for a lawyer once and he insisted on a slab of text that looked like a chapter of the bible. I advised against it but he knew better.
Being a lawyer I made sure he signed off on it and I made sure it was completed and installed on time.
When it was up of course he complained about it being too hard to read but he knew he was screwed and payed up.

Some people.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
But cut vinyl will last longer than a print.

Have to agree.

Color... your design/layout is so simple, that whole thing could be cut out, weeded, taped, applied and finished in about 2 to 2-1/2 hours all total and you'd have a ten year product vs. a 4 year product. Could easily get $475 or $500 for that beings that it's a fleet, but the idea of printing all that out, laminating it and all the other parts that go into wrapping.... just sounds odd to me, regardless of how much you like or dislike something. In my opinion, you are certainly not offering or giving the customer a superior product.

Sorry man.......... :Oops:

J

john1

I guess i am looking at things differently anymore when quoting vans. I look at the sides as basically a 4x8' or 8x2' for example and base my materials with mark up and production and installation time for pricing. Value has a lot to do with things as well, a van is a billboard on wheels and if you look at the cost of a billboard per month you will see why "a lot" for a van isn't really a lot at all.

One thing i have learned lately is value and cost vs cost alone

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
YES...A client of mine just sent me this photo and said he wanted his van to have all this same info on it too.

I basically told him "no!" in his own best interests.

Yikes! Sorry if someone here did this job, I'm not out to bash!

Yea, I don't think THIS one came from Dan's portfolio of clean advertising designs~

Looks like they missed a few spots on the front fenders and kick panels behind the rear wheels.

wayne k
guam usa

gabagoo

Have to agree.

Color... your design/layout is so simple, that whole thing could be cut out, weeded, taped, applied and finished in about 2 to 2-1/2 hours all total and you'd have a ten year product vs. a 4 year product. Could easily get $475 or $500 for that beings that it's a fleet, but the idea of printing all that out, laminating it and all the other parts that go into wrapping.... just sounds odd to me, regardless of how much you like or dislike something. In my opinion, you are certainly not offering or giving the customer a superior product.

I don't think he did it as a wrap...certainly not at that price.

RobbyMac

YES...A client of mine just sent me this photo and said he wanted his van to have all this same info on it too.

I basically told him "no!" in his own best interests.

Yikes! Sorry if someone here did this job, I'm not out to bash!

Yea, I don't think THIS one came from Dan's portfolio of clean advertising designs~
Holy crap. They just raised the bar on 'how much wood can a woodchuck chuck' (or something) with that mess of text.

HulkSmash

Have to agree.

Don't be sorry. To each their own.

3m claims it's a 7 year vinyl with the lam. I just think cut vinyl looks cheap. Hate it. Don't use it unless i have to. Not to mention it fades much quick then printed vinyl with lam.. with my experience. Not to mention i usually have 3-4 rolls of control tac sitting around, and not ever single color of cut vinyl..

this is NOT a full wrap. Just dicut control tac.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Colorado,
where are you reading 7 years on printed/lam'd Controltac?
I get customers asking me this all the time and the best I've found reading through their product bulletins is 3years.

wayne k
guam usa

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Colorado,
where are you reading 7 years on printed/lam'd Controltac?
I get customers asking me this all the time and the best I've found reading through their product bulletins is 3years.

wayne k
guam usa

That's kinda what I'm talking about. Unless your using the old Scotch Printing methods or thermal, there's nothing much more than 3 to 5 years WITH laminate. That's for the inks. The media might last 7 years, but not combined with the ink. We're in the Northeast and I'm lucky if we get 5 years....... where most cast vinyl will easily last 7 to 9 years before fading or looking bad without any lamination.

I know the true solvent printers would boast about 5 years without lamination, but I don't know of any that got that consistently.

HulkSmash

That's kinda what I'm talking about. Unless your using the old Scotch Printing methods or thermal, there's nothing much more than 3 to 5 years WITH laminate. That's for the inks. The media might last 7 years, but not combined with the ink. We're in the Northeast and I'm lucky if we get 5 years....... where most cast vinyl will easily last 7 to 9 years before fading or looking bad without any lamination.

I know the true solvent printers would boast about 5 years without lamination, but I don't know of any that got that consistently.

sorry, just left the office, I have some documentation there. um, might be confusing life expectancy with what Avery ez. I have a huge chart i show to customer i made based on what companies give me for expectancy.

There's wraps out there we did 5 years ago that still look bright and sexy. but obviously it all depends on how it's treats, and where it's stored.

Baz

My experience with printed cast vinyl (3M or Avery or Oracal) as long as it's laminated with a cast film the colors should look good for 5 years ... After that colors start to fade. Reds, yellows, fleshtones will go first. I personnaly think the colors on computer cut cast vinyl will last longer than printed/lam vinyl since the color is part of the vinyl itself.

Not to say i don't use printed/lam cast vinyl for regular text also. I can get lazy and bunch up all the graphics in one production run. So print everything on the sheet, lam it all and cut it all at once. I even run 48" premask in the laminator and mask everything one shot also.

I do like leaving at least .1" of white or so all around the cut graphics. Makes it look nice and classy (ie: expensive).

SARTampaBay

I think Gino was onto something. If he had actually put the text of the Gettysburg address on the van, it would have cleaned up the layout, and been more interesting to read. Yeesh.