• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lowballing at it's finest on vans

J

john1

Found out locally a guy is doing full size vans (2500 chevy type) in single color cut vinyl for $355 and $400 for double color using "a standard font". Includes two sides and rear doors.

I was just blown away when i heard that, Wow. :omg:

I might outsource all my production and installs to this guy and make some easy money lol

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
well, that really isn't that much of a lowball offer depending on the size of the work ... with a 30 inch roll of material he would probably only use about 4'-7' of vinyl for most vans ... I would do that job for about $400. If it's top to bottom about 20' of vinyl ... HELL no.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Not too much of a low ball for me either. Vans start at $400 for me. That's two sides, window panel area (one long side & one short side). Rear is extra.

HulkSmash

how would you do "standard font" top to bottom? put a book on each side?

rofl. so true

a typical side is about 35x25. one on each side. then the back panel.. in cut vinyl?

yeah 400 is not low balling. But i rarely do cut vinyl so

Border

how would you do "standard font" top to bottom? put a book on each side?

YES...A client of mine just sent me this photo and said he wanted his van to have all this same info on it too.

I basically told him "no!" in his own best interests.

Yikes! Sorry if someone here did this job, I'm not out to bash!

Yea, I don't think THIS one came from Dan's portfolio of clean advertising designs~

Attachments

• VAN_Page_1.jpg
    VAN_Page_1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 85
  • VAN_Page_2.jpg
    VAN_Page_2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 66

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We had a customer which we were doing both sides and rear of their vans for $350. Not much lettering, but a consistent customer for at least 20 years. Noticed a year or so ago we weren't doing his vans and when I called, he didn't return my call.

Saw him just the other week at a local home builders show and point blank asked him what was going on ??

He said, Oh my son is now running things..... so I walked over to junior and he proceeded to tell me they have a guy that comes to them and letters the trucks on site for $225. and he knew I couldn't drop that far.

I asked him if he was happy and he said.... well, for the most part, yeah. The guy never puts the stuff in the same spot and things seem to change size from truck to truck, but the savings..... we can't complain.

I guess ya just get what ya pay for.

As for your trucks copy from top to bottom, the Gettysburg Address and on the back yet to boot...... sounds a little cheap to me for $350, but no one can really tell without seeing the actual layout, difficulty in weeding and applying and how much waste there really is involved. If this was a once and done... no frickin' way, but a fleet, ah.... I might consider it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
YES...A client of mine just sent me this photo and said he wanted his van to have all this same info on it too.

I basically told him "no!" in his own best interests.

Yikes! Sorry if someone here did this job, I'm not out to bash!

Yea, I don't think THIS one came from Dan's portfolio of clean advertising designs~

Yikes !! That's at least a $2,500 to $3,000 job. Looks like a different chapter on every section and panel. Maybe that truck just sits at a busy intersection all day long. :rolleyes:

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
We had a customer which we were doing both sides and rear of their vans for $350. Not much lettering, but a consistent customer for at least 20 years. Noticed a year or so ago we weren't doing his vans and when I called, he didn't return my call.

Saw him just the other week at a local home builders show and point blank asked him what was going on ??

He said, Oh my son is now running things..... so I walked over to junior and he proceeded to tell me they have a guy that comes to them and letters the trucks on site for $225. and he knew I couldn't drop that far.

I asked him if he was happy and he said.... well, for the most part, yeah. The guy never puts the stuff in the same spot and things seem to change size from truck to truck, but the savings..... we can't complain.

I guess ya just get what ya pay for.

As for your trucks copy from top to bottom, the Gettysburg Address and on the back yet to boot...... sounds a little cheap to me for $350, but no one can really tell without seeing the actual layout, difficulty in weeding and applying and how much waste there really is involved. If this was a once and done... no frickin' way, but a fleet, ah.... I might consider it.

You know Gino, you have some of the best customer stories. But I have seen that happen a lot. There is a dude in town that I don't think remembers his placement from one side to the next ... straight ... just not the same place ... and dirt cheap. Lost a few customers to him because of that ... couple returned since it wasn't exactly what they were expecting.
You never know, you might see them again one day on your client roster. :toasting:

anotherdog

I guess it's what the customer will settle for. Crappy layout slapped on with cheap vinyl.
I have seen van signage done with black deck paint and a 1inch brush, just like I have seen store signage done with a spray can on cardboard.

ForgeInc

Wow, that layout is something else. As much as I sometimes love to bash poor design and get too frank on occasion, you just never know the back story though. The client may have totally insisted on what they want. I kinda have a feeling that may be the case here. The overall layout and design doesn't totally blow, it just has way too much info.

Could be a classic case of whoever was/is designing it just simply gave up and collected a paycheck. Sometimes you just can't educate a customer to benefits of less is more.

But man oh man, classic example of what NOT to do on a wrap!

HulkSmash

We do fleets for This company.

We charge about 580 for this. It's ALL 3m 180 with 8518 lam.

I'm the most expensive shop in a 70 mile radius.

400 for 1 color cut vinyl is not low balling.. by any means.

Attachments

• 381101_326731837344348_151452451538955_1508189_106786745_n.jpg
    381101_326731837344348_151452451538955_1508189_106786745_n.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 68

ProWraps

do you throw in the cookedness for free?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

hehe. loves ya.

gabagoo

Do you digitally print everything then die cut it all?

I wonder why you just would not cut coloured vinyl on a job like this?

the price is fine although I have always found weeding the smaller copy when laminated can be a real pain especially if it is air egress.

HulkSmash

Do you digitally print everything then die cut it all?

I wonder why you just would not cut coloured vinyl on a job like this?

the price is fine although I have always found weeding the smaller copy when laminated can be a real pain especially if it is air egress.

cause i hate cut vinyl. And i like to provide the highest quality product available. - cast vinyl with lam.
and this takes me about 8 minutes to install compared to an hr to install cut vinyl in pieces.