• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mac with designjet 5500 installation problem

hero_honda

Hi guys, great forum! already learnt so much just browsing around. New to the printing game. I just got hold of a HP designjet 5500 with UV conversion on it to test if i want to buy it. It only has a network output (i assume this is how it is with a large format printer). I cant really install it for some reason. I came with no software of CDs to install. I managed to get a driver from hp website and install it, then I go through the add printer procedure through system preferences. This is where i get confused and stuck. I think I have tried all the options to get it to work with a driver but cannot send a job to the printer from the mac itself. Through web access i can give it a job, however i cannot send a job from the mac.

When selecting a driver from the drop down menu i have tried selecting a driver from the list of drivers. and when i select the driver it just says determining installable options along with the IP address underneath with a loading status bar and does nothing after this:

Picture 2.jpg

The other options i have tried are as follows:

Picture 6.jpg

With Generic PostScript a printer appears in the printer list but not the correct picture and it dont work.
Auto Select selects the Generic PostScript and same happens as above.
With the other it asks for a driver file which i dont have.

I am stuck at this point and would really appreciate your help and assistance.

I really need to test the printer as i need to know whether i can commit to buying it.
The printer only has a black cartridge atm and when i try to print from web access it says insert ink and obviously i dont to buy it until i know the printer works and i have bought it. Can this printer print only using certain cartridges such as black only?

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 180

signcrafters

Connect printer to router with cat5 cable.
Power on printer.
On the printer, go through menus and find IP address.
From computer on same network, open browser and type in that address.
(something like 192.168.1.10)
Opens a webpage where you can upload files to the printer and control settings.
-- Should not have to install any drivers.

Let me know if this helped.

Greg

hero_honda

Connect printer to router with cat5 cable.
Power on printer.
On the printer, go through menus and find IP address.
From computer on same network, open browser and type in that address.
(something like 192.168.1.10)
Opens a webpage where you can upload files to the printer and control settings.
-- Should not have to install any drivers.

Let me know if this helped.

Greg

Hi Greg thanks for that, yeh i have done this, i get something called web access come up and it allows me upload the files and I have and can send a job but it wont print as i am short a few ink cartridges. It says INSERT INK. I assume the web access feature does not allow printing pure B&W from black cartridge only as i have poked around everywhere on it. I need to test it before i actually buy the printer and buy the other inks as they are £$£.

I was thinking that from a driver or software i can have this feature of printing from the black cartridge only???

Bill Modzel

If the 5500 isn't the postscript version you will need a RIP. (raster image processor) to print and you will need all of the empty ink cartridges replaced.
THis was a very good printer, I ran one for many years, but it's OLD and unless they are giving it to you for nothing I would walk away.
If all you need is an aqueous ink printer, which is what this is, you can pick up a brand new cannon for a few grand.
Don't be confused by the UV designation. It's only to differentiate between the dye and the pigment based cartridges. The UV inks are pigmented with more UV fading resistance than the dye inkset. I had both with my unit although I pretty much just used the UV set.

For outdoor use you will need specially coated stock at least and a laminator for moderately long term durability. THis is basically an indoor poster and it some cases, fine art printer although both the newer Canons and HP's are using 10 or 12 color inksets for giclee work.

hero_honda

Wow great info, well i ended up with it and was hoping to use it for canvas printing now. I did notice that the inks will wash and smudge, what can i do about this? is there a sealing agent i can apply to the canvases to stop them from smudging or even making then prints waterproof?

I used to use a UV protective clear acrylic spray paint on my canvas prints. Makes them nice and even gloss across. Easy. Dries in a couple hours.