• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

machine to cut wooden letters

Christian @ 2CT Media

Laser, CNC Router, or Waterjet are all great tools for that.... if you only need to cut. a CNC Router is the only tool that can actually give you dimension and shape other than by hand with skill and patience that is.

StickerBee

Just wanted to cut letters out from MDF board at 1/2 to 3/4 thick inch as high as 18 to 24 inches tall letters. I dont have patience to cut by hand. :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Scroll saw, unless you're planning on doing a lot of them. Then, incest in an expensive machine.

Christian @ 2CT Media

You can get a 36" x 50" Laser and cut those for about $10-15,000 or you can go with a basic cnc router for about the same price.

Or you can look in to the shaper origin for about $5,000

rossmosh

Go on Youtube and look up "DiResta". That's how you'd do it with a scroll saw/band saw.

Otherwise you have to choose between a CNC router or laser cutter. Benefit of a laser cutter is you don't have to worry about hold down. The downside is the burnt edges, not square edges, and potential inability to cut through thicker/denser materials. For example, to cut letters the size and thickness you're looking to do, you need a minimum of a $20k laser and that would be a Chinese import.

With a CNC router, you're going to be able to cut though thick wood with square edges. You'll probably have a bit of chatter/roughness but that all depends on the quality of machine/hold down. The big downside is hold down. With letters that size, hold down really shouldn't be an issue. Normally hold down is an issue with 2-4" letters and sometimes taller letters out of thinner/lighter material or more delicate letters. At 18-24", it really shouldn't be an issue. You could get a pretty solid 4x8 CNC router for $15-20k that would do a really good job for what you're looking to do.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I used a cutawl for years, but now I just order fabricated letters from the likes of Gemini. Way, way cheaper than the labor involved using a cutawl (or any kind of scroll saw). Nice trip down nostalgia lane, however!

TimToad

I used a cutawl for years, but now I just order fabricated letters from the likes of Gemini. Way, way cheaper than the labor involved using a cutawl (or any kind of scroll saw). Nice trip down nostalgia lane, however!

Not knowing the scale of operation, dedication to handcrafted signs, budget, etc. Was the only reason I suggested such a tool. There was a time when a good bandsaw and someone who knew how to use it could produce a lot of perfectly acceptable letters out of sheets of dense insulation foam.

It's ironic that one of us will post a hand carved HDU sign, or hand crafted wood sign and the adoration for it flows, but this OP asks a simple question and moat of the answers suggest a highly technological solution with substantial price tags.