• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mactac bubble free frosted

a77

Hi guys, just got some JT5796M BF, the mactac frosted with air release.

Was hoping to use it for an install next week on storefront windows (outside). It's getting cold and right now midday it's 4deg celcius, 39 farenheit.
Just tried a sample patch of this vinyl on my back window, and it's really really low tack. I will see how it looks after sitting overnight, but has anyone used this outside?
Right now it just doesn't seem to be grabbing much at all. Lays flat and looks real nice, but I'm just worried about edges peeling in the future etc.

Any experienced users know if this stuff is safe to use outside?

THanks

danno

We have installed it on outside doors and windows. The temperature was a bit higher though. Have you attempted to heat the glass to about 60 - 70°F? Our installs were in the spring/summer.

CanuckSigns

I wouldn't be installing any permanent vinyl outdoors at this time of year....

And heating glass is not recommended. I've done it before (not when it's that close to 0) but the severe temp change is apparently enough to break some glass.

If you're not seeing a good initial tack, I don't think it's going to increase given the colder temps.

Also.... I don't mind the dusted/frosted B-free but don't bother trying the gloss clear B-free...the stuff is garbage. Prints nice, but you CANNOT get a smooth finish on the glass so every single squeegee stroke and pressure mark shows. I sent some back to our supplier which they were going to "test" to see if it was within tolerance, so it's probably sitting in the back of their warehouse. Thank god I only bought half a roll...so it's only $300-$400 going in the dumpster.

And the supplier (spicers) pulled the old "sorry no refund or credit" so I will never be buying from them. So much for customer service.

Yeah Spicers are complete garbage!

a77

OK, so this morning I looked at at the sample I put on my back window, and the avery etchmark is definitely sticking harder than the mactac.
Having said that, the mactac lays down nice and I don't really see a reason for the edges to lift. I'm sure the adhesive will bond better over time especially with some days with sun on it, but I am a bit worried.

pat, that's good to know about the clear, because I thought I would be trying that out at some point too. Sounded great to be able to offer a bubble/wrinkle free solution for customers to self install larger decals on clear - dry.

I'll try to get a sample and see if it goes down clean.. I thought I read somewhere that it was a decent product.

danno, what's the best way to heat the windows? Going to crank the heat inside the building but not sure how I can heat these large windows.. going to put fairly big pieces down (65" x 24").

thanks

kanini

Ugh, I hate frosted vinyl since doing a larger job last week with air release. Temp around 2-4 degrees Celsius. As you say the initial tack is very low and also the vinyl gets brittle and creases easier = pita. You can do it but be prepared it takes longer time to install, squeegee hard and carefully (but watch out for the edges) and let it sit a while before you cut around the edges if needed after application.

a77

Ugh, I hate frosted vinyl since doing a larger job last week with air release. Temp around 2-4 degrees Celsius. As you say the initial tack is very low and also the vinyl gets brittle and creases easier = pita. You can do it but be prepared it takes longer time to install, squeegee hard and carefully (but watch out for the edges) and let it sit a while before you cut around the edges if needed after application.

looks like we might have 4 more degrees than that next week.
did you use this mactac stuff?

thanks

petepaz

i have used this many times on in door jobs. i would check with mac tac for the our door life. i would not heat the glass with a torch or heat gun, you risk cracking it. (it probably won't happen but not worth turning the couple hundred you are making on the job in to a minus a few hundred)

Anicom

I have used the clear B-free product and for some light applications on glass(not acrylic) where you can get away with using a very soft squeegee it it works fine. When we first discovered this stuff we were excited for a dry application and used it on a 200lb acrylic sign, 2nd surface. It was close to perfect here in the shop but did have a few squeegee marks (which typically go away on glass after a few days). By the time it was installed 1500 miles away and man-handled above a storefront it had pressure marks from the guys holding it and from leaning against the lift. After alot of investigation, it was found to be the air channels being crushed against the acrylic giving it a different colour. It was especially bad because of the 2nd surface...we were looking directly at the adhesive and defective areas...lesson learned.

danno

If possible we would set the inside heat a warm as they would let us. Then do a 2 person apply with a helper on the inside bringing the glass up to temperature slowly. The idea is not to give the glass the shock to break it. We used a heat gun from the inside to assist in warming the glass. It's a long process in the cold temperatures.

RyanFelty

Cant you reverse cut it and apply it on the inside? I just did an install recently in around 40 degree weather. Reverse cut and applied on the inside of the store and it looked great. Just a thought....

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 148

TammieH

Yeah, etched vinyls are meant to be applied to second surface, unless the window is tinted I would install inside.

kanini

looks like we might have 4 more degrees than that next week.
did you use this mactac stuff?

thanks

No, but a similar product, Aslan 300EL I think it was,ment to be applied outdoor as well. I think the specs say 7 year outdoor life or something like that. Good luck with your install as well!

a77

Thanks guys, appreciate all the advice.
We're going to use this stuff for indoors only right now. The edges look good, but it still peels up really easy, whereas avery etchmark really lays down so strong that I have no worries whatsoever. One thing I noticed - almost everyday I peeled up a corner from my back window test piece and it would crease up real bad, but the creases are 99% gone each and every next day, so that's a plus.

Bur for this jobs we're going to go with the frosting on the inside and do the lettering on the outside.

Plus it's a few degrees warmer this week :rock-n-roll:
Thanks