Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Made in USA" - Is this achievable?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing, Pricing Etc.' started by Dukenukem117, Aug 14, 2019 at 7:37 PM.

1. Dukenukem117

Dukenukem117 Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Fountain Valley
    I've been trying to figure out if I can use the "Made in USA" label, but I'm not sure its even possible given the supply chain ecosystem.

For example the ink for HP Latex all says Singapore. If one day I can buy from STS ink or something, then that would actually be more "American" than the genuine stuff from HP.

All the print material we buy eventually traces back to China, even if the front is a US company (ex: Ultraflex).

We do all assembly here, but given the very high bar for "Made in the USA", I'm not sure if that's even realistic. As it stands, I think the highest I can calculate our the USA part of our COG is maybe ~80%.

Tags:
  2. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Guess it depends on how honest you want to be with your customers and yourself. I don't think much of anything is 'Made in the USA' 100% any more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    You always have "assembled in the USA". Or maybe "Made in the USA with foreign parts(consumables)"?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dukenukem117

Dukenukem117 Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Fountain Valley
    One thing we want to do eventually is license the USMC logos and trademarks, and there is a significant royalty discount if it is an unqualified "Made in the USA" product. There's also some stuff with government contracts, but the bar for those is a lot lower (like 50%+ made in the USA).

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Where was your printer made ?? Where do all the parts and components come from for your computers, scanners and other equipment. Was your phone system made here ?? Just about nothing is 100% anymore. Go get a DNA test and see where YOU really come from............

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 3
  6. henryz

henryz Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Long Beach, CA
    Perhaps " Manufactured in the U.S.A."

7. China is just a subsidiary of the USA anyway, you're good!

"Reagan shifted the power to the wealthy, and the wealthy used that power to escape the borders of democracy by moving production to China."

• Like Like x 1
  8. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I mean what is a sign anyway? If you want to call a few drops of ink, a roll of print media, piece of lexan, and pile of aluminum a sign, then nope. But if you use the foreign components to make something new, then who is to say where it was made.
    It's kindly reminds me of the greek dude with the boat, or the broken hatchet.

9. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Here is something from the FTC page on 'made in usa':https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-made-usa-standard
    Are raw materials included in the evaluation of whether a product is "all or virtually all" made in the U.S.?
    It depends on how much of the product’s cost the raw materials make up and how far removed from the finished product they are.

Example: If the gold in a gold ring is imported, an unqualified Made in USA claim for the ring is deceptive. That’s because of the significant value the gold is likely to represent relative to the finished product, and because the gold — an integral component — is only one step back from the finished article. By contrast, consider the plastic in the plastic case of a clock radio otherwise made in the U.S. of U.S.-made components. If the plastic case was made from imported petroleum, a Made in USA claim is likely to be appropriate because the petroleum is far enough removed from the finished product, and is an insignificant part of it as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    So put an ANUS sticker on the product, AssembledNowhereinUnitedStates.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. AF

AF Premium Subscriber

Dec 8, 2013
    Ventura, CA
    We use the ANUS sticker “Made in ANUS”

America, North, United States

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  12. Dukenukem117

Dukenukem117 Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Fountain Valley
    Ya, but if I put this on a sticker and slap it on my product, I doubt it will go over well with customers.

13. SignDesignGrrl

SignDesignGrrl New Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane
    My understanding it that the C of O is determined by where the most value is made. So, you have some vinyl or substrate from Vietnam, and a printer that was mostly made in china, Ink from the UK... etc etc... the real value of the sign you made happened in the USA. Therefore, it was made in the USA. I went through all of this working for a jewelry supply company, but I think it still applies. LIke, the stone was mined in china, but the bead was made in Arizona = made in the USA.

14. Dukenukem117

Dukenukem117 Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Fountain Valley
    To be fair, other countries have out-America'ed America in the past...

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  15. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Honestly, who even checks this stuff? It's sad to say but there's a lot of dishonesty and very little accountability anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Yep, this hits home with me.
    We supported 2 lines of emergency equipment (vehicle lights & sirens) and dropped one because it switched to being 100% made in China & the quality went into the toilet. Have been promoting to our customers that the line we sell is 'Made in the USA'. I was installing a $400 siren and had to remove the cover ('Made in the USA' proudly stuck on the case) and inside was a 'Made in Singapore' decal. The quality of the equipment is still better than the other brand but I know now that I have been overselling the 'US made' selling point.

17. Dukenukem117

Dukenukem117 Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Fountain Valley
    There should be a "Made in US and US Allies" label.

18. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
  19. ColoPrinthead

ColoPrinthead Swollen Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Donkeytown, Colorado
    Lets not forget the tears of failed designers turned sign guys now!

20. Dukenukem117

Dukenukem117 Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Fountain Valley