• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magenta problem!

wochi

I open this thread to do a fresh start on my problem as i´m getting out of solutions.
So, my magenta is doing severe banding as shown is image below. All other colors are perfect.

It starts printing OK (not perfect as the other 3 colors) but after a while it starts getting worse. It looks like ink starvation, as in the first pass it makes a huge white line, parcially covered by the next passes. So i get different tones of magenta.

What do i use:

-Roland VP540
-Triangle Inks from day one with refilling system, not external bottles
- Head is new
- Cap top is new. I replaced it twice just to check if the new one had a problem
- Dampers are also new, and replaced twice to check if new ones had problems

What did i do already with no result:

- tested different medias, brands and profiles
- tested uni and bi direccional printing
- head alignment
- calibration
- test print comes out perfect, before and after the problem
- when it starts the problem, i stop the print, wait a while and resume, and it continues with problem, but if i stop and do a normal cleaning it gets better, but not perfect as in the start.

you can see in the images that cyan is absolutly perfect!
I can´t get Roland assistance because in Portugal if you use third party inks, they always say problem is in the ink, even if it is a simple calibration problem!
I don´t know what else to do. Machine is stopped and several orders waiting :banghead:
Anyone can help?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC01413.jpg
    DSC01413.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC01417.jpg
    DSC01417.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC01421.jpg
    DSC01421.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 157

slangsc

I loved using the Triangle MLD ink and it should not be your problem. Something is causing a row of nozzles to drop out.

wochi

i´ve been using Triangle since day one so i don´t think that is the problem.

the dampers are new. And i changed them twice just to have sure that was not the problem :banghead:

Connect a syringe to the damper (tube with smaller tube inside to fit to the damper)...as you draw ink look for any air bubbles in the syringe... and use a good size syringe like 3'4" diameter 4" long. You may have a very small air leak somewhere in the ink lines or system. Start at the dampers first. The ink lines have connections in the length...in those connections are small rubber orings that may be leaking.

wochi

Connect a syringe to the damper (tube with smaller tube inside to fit to the damper)...as you draw ink look for any air bubbles in the syringe... and use a good size syringe like 3'4" diameter 4" long. You may have a very small air leak somewhere in the ink lines or system. Start at the dampers first. The ink lines have connections in the length...in those connections are small rubber orings that may be leaking.

where do i put the syringe? directly in the damper where it connects to the head? or in the tube that comes from the cartridges?

phil braham: dampers and head are new. Can a head have problems when it prints perfect in the test print?

Compilla: what is PF adjust ?

thanks all for trying to help!

Victor

Ink Drops

I have a Roland Sc 540 ES Pro II.
I am having some issues with the Black ink occasionally dropping ink
onto the the material while printing.

Anybody have these issues?

Ideas on how to correct?

ABPGraphics

I have a Roland Sc 540 ES Pro II.
I am having some issues with the Black ink occasionally dropping ink
onto the the material while printing.

Anybody have these issues?

Ideas on how to correct?

I have a SP300V and when this happens we know its time for a full cleaning and that usually resolves that problem

MilanoGuru

Yes that is a Damper Problem. If you replace them Make sure they are the new style. Roland made some changes to their dampers. There will be a little green dot on the top of your damper that is how you know its a new style. They are 30 bux and save you a ton of time and frustration. Make sure to flush the Damper with Cleaning Flush also sometimes itty bitties get inside the damper and can clog a nozzle.
Good Luck Sir! :)

wochi

Yes that is a Damper Problem. If you replace them Make sure they are the new style. Roland made some changes to their dampers. There will be a little green dot on the top of your damper that is how you know its a new style. They are 30 bux and save you a ton of time and frustration. Make sure to flush the Damper with Cleaning Flush also sometimes itty bitties get inside the damper and can clog a nozzle.
Good Luck Sir! :)
if they clog a nozzle the test print shouldn´t be with missing nozzles?

MilanoGuru

does it come and go? if it comes and goes that means its getting good suction sometimes and when the pump... "pumps" it sucks air into the line via the damper. I wasnt saying that there was a clogged nozzle Im just saying if you get a new damper to make sure junk dosent go into the head and clog the nozzles ;) anyway I have the same issue. I am in Arizona so my Nozzles dry out and crack so I have to get them off before they crack the Manifold out which sits on top of the head... lots of fun! :) lemme tell ya!

wochi

no it is always doing the problem. I notice now it does it from the beginning of the print. A thin line but that lines gets thicker when the print is going on

MilanoGuru

I think its sucking Air. there is a little black O ring that goes inside the cap of the Damper. if that O ring is damaged or dry it will suck air which doesn't let the full amount of ink run into the reservoir of the head. Fellers carries the new style of Dampers. or any of your local Roland Peoples should have them. I replaced mine 3 times in the life of my 3 machines.
I hope I'm helping... I know I have that same problem.
Sometimes if its not the dampers its the Pumps aren't pumping good enough cause there is dried ink in the Discharge lines. you might put some flush in the capping station and if it flows down then there is no block if there is a block then you can just roll the lines between your fingers and break up the dry ink... That has worked for me also.

wochi

i checked those o-rings and they seem fine to me. I made some tests with a syring and i think everithing is ok with the lines.
The only thing i can´t tell if it is OK are the pumps. how can i check if they are ok? but if the problem is pump, doesn´t the yellow should have problems as it shares the pump with magenta?

artbot

man guys. the first thing you do to diagnose ink starvation is to swap ink lines and see if the problem follows the ink line or stays at the print head/color. take the ink line and swap it to another color. run a magenta square only on some cheap paper. does the magenta drop out or does it move the the place the magenta damper is now plugged into?

if it stays at the damper than you have a supply problem. if it stays at the head, you have a vacuum problem (or a clogged head adapter). clogged head adapters will usually leave a empty halo head check prints.

dampers, o-rings are usually suspects. if you want to track that just unplug it and come back a while later. if the ink level in the damper is slowly dropping, it has an air leak. if the ink is robustly staying than you probably have a clogged cartridge inlet. for that, place a cleaning cartridge in that space and force cleaning solution backwards into the machine emptying the syringe into the cartridge.

if the issue stays at the magenta. first pull the vacuum tube of the cap and put a syringe on it. park the head carriage over the capping station. make sure it is pivoted to it natural resting position. pull ink into the syringe via the head. do you get good flow or light flow or a flow plus tiny bubbles. a new cap can still malfunction if it is not properly aligned. go to the service area of the printer and adjust the capping rest point so that you get maximum parking height. and do the syringe test again.

that's at least the first bit of stuff you need to try. don't throw parts at the machine. it doesn't allow you to know what's wrong. diagnose. and repair.

wochi

thank you for this post. It seems a very good workflow to diagnose the problem.

man guys. the first thing you do to diagnose ink starvation is to swap ink lines and see if the problem follows the ink line or stays at the print head/color. take the ink line and swap it to another color. run a magenta square only on some cheap paper. does the magenta drop out or does it move the the place the magenta damper is now plugged into?

if it stays at the damper than you have a supply problem. if it stays at the head, you have a vacuum problem (or a clogged head adapter). clogged head adapters will usually leave a empty halo head check prints.

dampers, o-rings are usually suspects. if you want to track that just unplug it and come back a while later. if the ink level in the damper is slowly dropping, it has an air leak. if the ink is robustly staying than you probably have a clogged cartridge inlet. for that, place a cleaning cartridge in that space and force cleaning solution backwards into the machine emptying the syringe into the cartridge.

if the issue stays at the magenta. first pull the vacuum tube of the cap and put a syringe on it. park the head carriage over the capping station. make sure it is pivoted to it natural resting position. pull ink into the syringe via the head. do you get good flow or light flow or a flow plus tiny bubbles. a new cap can still malfunction if it is not properly aligned. go to the service area of the printer and adjust the capping rest point so that you get maximum parking height. and do the syringe test again.

that's at least the first bit of stuff you need to try. don't throw parts at the machine. it doesn't allow you to know what's wrong. diagnose. and repair.

Can i change colors that easy? won+t the colors be all messed up??? just take one off plug other? should i drain all ink off first? how?
when you say change ink lines do i keep the dampers in the head or change them also?

thanks again