• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magnet problem

Signs Express

Had a customer with a dark blue Dodge Ram stop by today. He's had his set of magnets for about 6 months. He just noticed this problem this past week when he was washing his truck. He said he has never noticed it before and that he takes them off every week to clean them and wash the truck.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? It won't buff out and the clear coat seems perfect.

Attachments

• magnet problem.jpg
    magnet problem.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 216

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
in my opinion, either he's lying and doesn't take them off regularly....OR he's taking them off, washing the vehicle and just slapping them back on....

i always instruct customers to wax the back of the mag as well as the vehicle before reapplying....i give out care/install instructions and make my customers sign a waver for exactly this reason...once the magnet leaves the shop, i am not responsible for it, or what it does to the vehicle...

totalimage

You are suppose to take them off daily not weekly. It accually looks as if he washes the vehicle with the magnetic in place or like said by Ferris, not drying them and slapping them back on. We also provide a care sheet to every customer that purchases magnetics. We tell them no warrenty on them.

Also it just started to happen??? Looks like is has been there awhile.

chachimacho

Is it metallic paint? A paint guy told me that magnets will try to pull the metal out of the paint. Any one know if this is true? Do they even use metal in "metallic" anymore?

gabagoo

I beleve it is true that metalic paint can be affected by magnetics which slowly align the small metal flecks over time which gives the illusion of the colour changing. I cant say that I have ever seen it, and I hope I never do.

boosted

I beleve it is true that metalic paint can be affected by magnetics which slowly align the small metal flecks over time which gives the illusion of the colour changing. I cant say that I have ever seen it, and I hope I never do.

I am not 100% positive, but I do not believe that the "metallic" is magnetic, but I will check tomorrow. I mix automotive paints at work almost everyday.

Patrick46

I call foul on this idea.
The metal 'particles' are suspended in a clear urethane body, which has HARDENERS in it, and is cured until it's hard. Once it's cured, those particles are not gonna come to the surface because of a magnetic sign stuck over the top of 'em.
No, I ain't some expert on this, but I've been doing custom paintjobs for over 30 years now, and I don't believe this concept for 1 minute.

I do believe what we have here is in fact a customer that does reapply his magnetics over a wet vehicle, trapping soaps and whatever else is under there.

I also believe that this guy does not wash his truck every week, nor remove his magnetics very often at all...otherwise he wouldda noticed the blushing much, much earlier.

gabagoo

The metal 'particles' are suspended in a clear urethane body, which has HARDENERS in it, and is cured until it's hard. Once it's cured, those particles are not gonna come to the surface because of a magnetic sign stuck over the top of 'em.
No, I ain't some expert on this, but I've been doing custom paintjobs for over 30 years now, and I don't believe this concept for 1 minute.

I do believe what we have here is in fact a customer that does reapply his magnetics over a wet vehicle, trapping soaps and whatever else is under there.

I also believe that this guy does not wash his truck every week, nor remove his magnetics very often at all...otherwise he wouldda noticed the blushing much, much earlier.

I believe it was said that this could happen on fresher paint jobs or newer vehicles. Like I said I have never seen it although I have seen something transfering off the back of the magnetics onto the paint surface that looks like moteling..

SignosaurusRex

...X2......all the way down the line.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
It makes me wonder why people drop big change on a vehicle and then settle for magnets instead of a nice lettering job?

JB

Techman

because some communities have nazi driven bull crap sign laws... You cannot park a vehicle with commercial lettering on it in your own yard.

Replicator

I have a disclaimer for everything that has to do with magnets !

No warranty's, no guarantees and I recommend against them . . .

Cadmn

because some communities have nazi driven bull crap sign laws... You cannot park a vehicle with commercial lettering on it in your own yard.

Very true tech we have several in the metroplex area. some even tell you what color flowers you can plant in your yard. sick, controlling people.

advsign22

Ok think about this if he hints to tells you to pay for the repair.

Look at it this way:

Good thing he takes them off every week and it has been fine for six months. There is no way a magnet can do that in a week. He must have used some strong soap the last time and had some trapped between the magnet and the car.

letterman7

...X2......all the way down the line.
X3. And the metallics used are aluminum, so no chance with "re-alignment" happening. What I have seen, in addition to the mottling left by detergents under a wet mag, is micro-abrasion by dirt/dust under the magnetic happening by simply never removing the damn thing in the first place. You say the clear coat appears perfect and it won't buff out - did you try it or taking the customer's word? Try a little 3M rubbing compound for clear coats on a rag next time he stops in and see if it makes a difference.