• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

magnet signs ate my customers truck

mark galoob

i sold these to him last year, and they have destroyed his paint job. magnets are sticking to truck paint and peeling it off.

any advise here would be most helpfull.

fyi, i will be filing with my insurance company...

mark galoob
682-560-6485 feel free to call

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Did you give him a written paper explaining you must remove them and clean the truck surface and the backs of the magnetics at least once a week ??

You can't just tell someone how to maintain, they'll deny ever hearing you. It has to be in writing and you need other customer's to back you up that you give this stuff out.

drive

Is it a white Chevy truck? We get scared when they come in. We've had a few issues with vinyl pulling the paint off. But magnets? That is new to me. I can understand scratches on the paint if the customer doesn't clean the truck or the magnets.
Is the paint job from the factory?

CanuckSigns

did you provide any type of instructions with the magnets? this has been posted about on here before. your customer should be removing and cleaning the magnet signs at least once a month, granted, no body will actually do this, this is why i try to upsell to vinyl lettering.

If you told him to remove and clean the magnets, it's completely his fault.

round man

Gino is correct,..there's already quite a few soccer moms and soldier's families out there with distinct rust marks where that round ball or yellow ribbon was on their mini van,....if left on indefinitely car mags will dissolve and merge into a paint job and or leave a nasty rust spot if they aren't cleaned and removed regularly.

petesign

I always tell people to move them around or at least clean behind them every week or so. I like the idea of a written disclaimer... implementing that asap.

:thankyou:

AUTO-FX

Magnetic signs are generally offered as a temporary sign solution.With that in mind it would be my opinion that HIS insurance company should be the one who is filed with. If he doesnt have his truck insured as a commercial vehicle, then he probably has no coverage for this damage. He would also have a deductable to cover.Repainting the door may require blending the color into the adjacent panels, so the cost could be anywhere between 350-1000$
Chevrolet does have a problem with some paint delamination, he may be able to seek recourse through chevrolet.

jiarby

Everyone that buys a magnet gets a picture of this truck along with my "5-50 Guarantee"...
5 minutes or 50mph... which ever comes first. I offer NO Warranty AT ALL on magentics.

I give them the MFG recommended care instructions but also say that even if you follow them to the letter it may screw up your car paint job.

I know some local guys that apply laminate to the mag side to help prevent this. No idea if it works or not. Here in AZ the summers are brutal to PVC & Rubber products left outdoors. Especially attached to dark colored cars! The surface temp of a car can get to 150°

All it takes is one bad sue-happy customer and you have lost all the profit from every magnet you ever made. Customers think magnets are cheap. You can take the same print and just stick it to the door and charge 4x the magnet price! LOL!

Attachments

• badmag.jpg
    badmag.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 162

mikefine

This is not your problem. So stop acting like it is. His truck and his
inferior paint job. The magnetic didn't fail. In fact, it held on better than it was supposed to. It exceeded the expectations.

Don't call your insurance company. That will have a negative effect on your
rates and standing. Don't ever call your insurance company for a claim unless you absolutely have to.

Give the customer the material manufacturer's number. Let them battle it out together.

Or if you feel inclined, offer to make a new set of magnetics slightly larger to cover the area. Or cover the bad area with a decal. The client might be thrilled, and you make the problem go away.

And that is really all you owe him.

Or just buy him a new truck.

I never wash my truck. Never. When I first got in the business in the mid '90s I made magnetics. Six months later I literally had to pry them off my doors. I sold a set to a guy in construction. He put them on a truck that just sits in a field all the time. Less than a year later they had rusted his doors all the way through.

From that time on I've handed out printed instructions on how to care for magnetics.

OldPaint

iam with jiarby.............. i was giving the 5/50 MAGNETIC WARRANTY..........since 1986!!!!! what happens to YOUR MAGNETIC SIGNS after they get on YOUR vehicle.......IS NOT MY PROBLEM!!!!!!! i told em when they bought em, THESE ARE NOT PERMANENT DOOR SIGNS!!!! YOU NEED TO REMOVE AND CLEAN FREQUENTLY. when not on you VEHICLE, they must be kept on a FLAT, CLEAN METAL SURFACE!!!!! it falls off YOUR vehicle..........wasnt my FAULT, YOU PUT IT ON THE VEHICLE I DIDNT!!!!!
failure to do the above.........ON YOUR END, you need to start doing so!!!!!!

Steve C.

Anyone got a stock disclaimer sheet they'd like to share?

I tell everyone to keep them clean, dry and the only guarantee is the vinyl will
stay on the magnetic.

joeshaul

I usually have a few copies of the second page from Magnum's customer care sheet as well as list the customer received it on an invoice+signed packing slip.

I haven't ran into an issue yet with my magnets, but I've only done a few, been very leery of what could possibly happen.

The customer care sheet can be downloaded here:
http://www.magnummagnetics.com/clean-and-care/

showcase 66

I usually have a few copies of the second page from Magnum's customer care sheet as well as list the customer received it on an invoice+signed packing slip.

I haven't ran into an issue yet with my magnets, but I've only done a few, been very leery of what could possibly happen.

The customer care sheet can be downloaded here:
http://www.magnummagnetics.com/clean-and-care/

Thanks for the link.

I have a 4x6 post card that gives the care instructions for magnets. Think I need to update it a little with this info.

mark galoob

just fyi...this is one of my better customers...he spends several k w/ me every year...

thanks for all the replys...im going to send this to grimco first to see what they will do. customer says he takes them off twice per month to clean, and i really dont believe him...

i dont have a disclaimer for magnets, but i will from now on...lesson learned the hard way.

ps, you ought to see the pic he sent, the magnets melted the and looks like it has rusted through to bare metal on the door.

drive

just fyi...this is one of my better customers...he spends several k w/ me every year...

thanks for all the replys...im going to send this to grimco first to see what they will do. customer says he takes them off twice per month to clean, and i really dont believe him...

i dont have a disclaimer for magnets, but i will from now on...lesson learned the hard way.

ps, you ought to see the pic he sent, the magnets melted the and looks like it has rusted through to bare metal on the door.
Can't you post it here?