• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

magnet signs ate my customers truck

PromoGuyTy

I usually give out care instructions...but this thread makes me want to get customers to sign off on a waiver before they walk out the door with 'em.

ProWraps

several $k a year? seriously?

why on gods green earth would you make an insurance claim? you would be a fool first to think this was your fault.

you would be a fool second to file a claim. if for some odd reason you feel illegitimately responsibly, pay for it yourself.

your deductable plus your insurance companies recourse on your rates will be much more than you get from them.

good god. why do people feel responsible for the dumb sh*t actions of other people?

anotherdog

I get this about once a year, had one a few months ago. The customer wanted me to pay for repainting the car doors, but they admitted the things were left on for weeks and not removed for washing. In that case all I could offer was sympathy (boy that didn't go down well).

I ensure all our magnets go out with a very specific care sheet. The main problem is water/detergent getting behind them, even worse with winter salt water.

If you gave out care instructions, not your problem. If you just sold them magnets with no instructions they have a case against you.

Trimline20

Mark Galoob said:
customer says he takes them off twice per month to clean, and i really dont believe him...

Twice per month is roughly every 2 weeks. Does he really expect anyone to believe that there was absolutely NO damage just two weeks ago?

If he comes back and says that he saw damage showing before that, what actions did he take to prevent further damage once the initial damage was first observed? Why is he taking action only after the damage is so severe?

Although you seem to feel some responsibility for what has happened, especially with him being a regular client, you have no control over what the client does with or cares for the magnets once he assumes possession of them.

If you were to assume responsibility for the damage to his vehicle, how many additional vehicle damage claims will be potentially forthcoming once word gets around? This could include claims for colour differences observed when vinyl graphics are removed from a vehicle.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I had this happen about 4 months ago. Guy showed up and his magenetics were part of the vehicle. as long as it's an enamel paint job ... a stripe off wheel should remove most of the merged magnetics.

as for including insurance ... just inform the guy magnetic material is a temporary sign, if he wants it to stay on there all the time, that you can apply vinyl directly to the vehicle and removal and cleanup is very simple and will not damage the paint as well as being largely maintanence free.

Also inform him it takes 2-4 months of summer sun to bake the magnetics onto the vehicle if not well cared for.

Marlene

Did you give him a written paper explaining you must remove them and clean the truck surface and the backs of the magnetics at least once a week ??

if you don't have a pre-printed sheet, make one up. include cleaning the back side of the mag and cleaning the truck, how to remove them and put them on and to store them when not in use on a flat surface like the side of a fridge.

greglauter

Stupid question here... If I sell a customer some magnets, how do i know what they are doing with them? Sure, they typically go on a car, but not always. Once I give them the magnets, they pay, they install, isn't it the customers responsibility? I don't see how this would ever hold up if it went to court. I've never had this problem, knock on wood

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Stupid question here... If I sell a customer some magnets, how do i know what they are doing with them? Sure, they typically go on a car, but not always. Once I give them the magnets, they pay, they install, isn't it the customers responsibility? I don't see how this would ever hold up if it went to court. I've never had this problem, knock on wood

As supplying a product to said customer.... it's your professional duty to ask them how said product is going to be used, so you can recommend the proper products. After they receive and pay for said product, it's still your professional duty to educate them on taking care of them.

Did you ever buy ANYTHING - ANYWHERE in a store and it comes with written instructions of proper care, instructions and what to do in emergencies ?? It's called covering your butt.

Do some of you just make something because you have a button to push and just figure.... well, it's theirs now... it's their problem ?? Maybe they'll destroy it and come back for more.

It's your duty as a professional to give your customers directions on everything that goes out your door. 'Common Sense' is not a normal trait of people anymore. Don't count on people knowing how to do things when basically, they depend on someone else to do everything for them.

And then you're in the man from Mars
You go out at night, eatin' cars
You eat Cadillacs, Lincolns too
Mercurys and Subarus
And you don't stop, you keep on eatin' cars
Then, when there's no more cars
You go out at night and eat up bars where the people meet
Face to face, dance cheek to cheek
One to one, man to man
Dance toe to toe
Don't move to slow, 'cause the man from Mars
Is through with cars, he's eatin' bars
Yeah, wall to wall, door to door, hall to hall
He's gonna eat 'em all

mark galoob

I fully believe he is lying and I'm close to firing him. He is always complaining about something from every job. I've actually turned down recent projects from him. So far he is supposed to write me a letter stating the schedule of magnet cleaning. I've not seen this yet. I'm not doing anything till he does his part, then I will see what my options are and make my decision. I'll post further updates as they occur

Mark galoob

WildWestDesigns

And then you're in the man from Mars
You go out at night, eatin' cars
You eat Cadillacs, Lincolns too
Mercurys and Subarus
And you don't stop, you keep on eatin' cars
Then, when there's no more cars
You go out at night and eat up bars where the people meet
Face to face, dance cheek to cheek
One to one, man to man
Dance toe to toe
Don't move to slow, 'cause the man from Mars
Is through with cars, he's eatin' bars
Yeah, wall to wall, door to door, hall to hall
He's gonna eat 'em all

I always did like the Rapture song by Blondie.

artsnletters

maybe i'm wrong but i explain to my customers that in most cases, magnetics aren't for them. I've said do you want your business to have an aura of "here today, gone tomorrow"? They don't speak of stability or professionalism. Why not LETTER YOUR DOORS? Not to mention the prices suck around here, retards doing magnetics for less than the cost of lettering the doors, how does that work as magnetics aren't free?
I also explain that magnetics will pick up almost invisible pieces of iron, as a magnet will, and these small flecks will combine with condensation to make PERMANENT rust stains on your nice new trucks paint, if you don't take them off and clean the mags surface and the trucks paint. I guess its a self fullfilling prophecy as i rarely sell magnetics. Funny when a customer ASKS how do i get these magnetics off my door, "they're STUCK"....:ROFLMAO:

or the classic, "gee i ordered these magnetics for my PETERBILT'S doors and they don't stick"......

Magnetics, i have NO use for em...
Tim

anotherdog

Really...?

So without getting them to sign a copy stating they have read the instruction etc. you are technically at fault?

I always give our customers care sheets and verbally remind them of the precautions to take, but if one of them ever came back complaining about a paint job...I would kindly walk them out the door.

I doubt you have to get them to sign off, but you have to have a sheet, put it in with the magnets when handing them over and for good measure have it on your website.

Anything so a customer can't claim you didn't tell them how to avoid the damage.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
or the classic, "gee i ordered these magnetics for my PETERBILT'S doors and they don't stick"......

Had a guy do that last week. Said he wanted them for his chevy pickup, i measured for his pickup ... said he wanted his money back because they won't stick to his fiberglass and aluminum peterbilt. I laughed at him.