• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magnetic falling off

signpainter51

I sold some magnetic to customer and he said by the time he came to my shop to show me what was wrong it fell off. He said it was not laying flat. Apparently he had left it in the cab of the truck and it folded over on something. Needless to say I was upset. I told him he should have not put it on. I had to give him a new one. He came the next day and he said he was making a sales call with pride he told the customer his company name by pointing to the door of his truck. It was not there. He came upset at me. I had installed them and told him it would be fine. He proceeded to say he was not going to give me more business. I thought the magnetic was defective. I told him I would refund his money. I than went and got a brand named Mag-x. I was using Magnum magnetic sheeting. I claimed to have 85 lb per square foot. I came to the shop and stuck it to a raw piece of steel. They both stuck the same . I concluded that it was the vehicles they make now that are not all steel. Is that true?

Mosh

Mag

I always tell people magnetics are TEMPORARY. Although I have customers who use them with no problems at all. I give each customer a care sheet and it cleary tells them how to take care of the mags and that I am not responsible for damage or loss! Sell him some lettering, simple enough.

dman0427

Something like that happened to me.

I had a customer call me because he said the magnetic signs weren't sticking to his truck.

The first thing I thought was that the truck had body work done before, and the bondo was too thick on the doors or something (which might be the problem in your case.)

So I told him to bring them in and I'd take a look at it.

When he showed up the magnets were in horrible shape and wouldn't lay flat.
I was like "man you cant fold these and toss them in the back seat"
Which is exactly what he confessed to doing even though I verbally warned him about this at the time he picked them up.

I heated them up and they flattened out with a little bit of work.
He was very appreciative that I was able to salvage them and he went on his merry way.

I also gave him an instruction sheet explaining how to care for magnetic signs. (I found a few on this forum)

BTW we do not warrant magnetic signs. If it is a good customer I would have no problems replace one. But usually "good customers" don't get magnetic signs, they get the stuff applied directly to the vehicles.

TheSnowman

I get calls that they came off the very next day. If they are on a truck, and you pass a semi on the road, not a great chance they'll last doing that all day every day. I always tell them that they are temporary, and that the only way to fix it is to letter the vehicle. Oh, and I'm thinking that you mean 85 POLES per square inch, not 85 lbs. If you are expecting it to have the pull of 85 lbs per inch...you'll ALWAYS be disappointed.

Pat Whatley

I sold some magnetic to customer and he said by the time he came to my shop to show me what was wrong it fell off. He said it was not laying flat. Apparently he had left it in the cab of the truck and it folded over on something. Needless to say I was upset. I told him he should have not put it on. I had to give him a new one.

Man, you deserve to get completely screwed here, maybe then you'll remember the lesson.
You didn't damage it, why would you replace it? You didn't lose the second one....why would you refund it? To save the business he's already told you he's not giving you? Hell, he's already given you "the business" twice.

gabagoo

Man, you deserve to get completely screwed here, maybe then you'll remember the lesson.
You didn't damage it, why would you replace it? You didn't lose the second one....why would you refund it? To save the business he's already told you he's not giving you? Hell, he's already given you "the business" twice.

yup Pat is correct, I bet they look good on his OTHER truck!!!!!

signage

All come on guys you know he'll be back next month saying they fell off again! After he gets another truck from all the work he'll be getting from the other trucks out on job sites!hehehehe

S

SignTech

no warranties ...... I have always told customers, they fall off, they get stolen no guarantees the worst investment for marketing on a vehicle for anything long term ...... but I make them anyway ...

LenXIII

One thing I think everyone forgot to mention here is that there is another possibility. For vehicle magnets many people dont round the corners, which I find helps quite a bit with preventing them from falling off. Rounding corners = better chance of staying on. If you don't do it you are doubling the chance of fall...

Jillbeans

I think you are being screwed. The first mag didn't stick because he left it in the hot cab and it warped. The other blew off. Neither instances are your fault.
You need to print out a care sheet for customers which also says only to store the mags on a fridge or metal toolbox when not in use.
My care sheet also says that my company is not responsible for stolen or blown-off mags. I do buy the good stuff and I do round the corners.
Magnetic failure (in my opinion) is almost always caused by customer error.
Also, magnetic may not adhere to some of the newer doors.
Or to a vehicle with a lot of prior body work.
When a loss occurs, I will replace the mag for a fee. Not as much as for a new set or the customer would get mad. But I do charge.
I agree that you are probably providing lettering for the guy's entire fleet, free.
Love.....Jill

ATXsigns

Only one of my customers have lost one too, he placed it right over a door molding. Argh, really?

Goes right in line with the typical folks who take the magnet shortcut in the first place.