• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

magnetic for VersaCamm

Jake112

I have a VersaCamm VP540 looking to print on magnetic.
any suggestions as to a certain brand of material and knife degree?

the graphics co

They make magnet that you can print onto, Digi-Mag, and it works pretty well, you have to monitor it and keep tension on it, by holding the end and pulling it through, to keep it moving, but you probably wont be able to contour cut, the magnetic sticks to the platen and will cause a feed motor error every time. If anyone has material they have used with success for contour cutting i am interested too.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Our experience was always better when printing to vinyl and applying that to the magnetic. The heat factor always seemed to not give a long lasting product. You're only talking an extra few pennies for material and about 5 minutes to put two of them down.

Now that we have the flatbed, it's a totally different story.

JustinS

we have a vp-540 and xc-540. we only use the XC for megnetics as we have been told from many sources that the vp motors can not handle the job and you will get the feed motor error every time. when running on the xc we have to print to oracal then laminate and feed back to the machine for a countour cut as the print quality directly to magnetics tends to not be as sharp as other materials.

material wise, we stick to magnum magnetics for no real reason other than price.

if anyone has a method of printing direct to magnetic material and have the print quality still remain high please let me know. no mater the amount of calibration we do and raising the print heads we still can not achieve a clear print and fine detail.

thanks!

grafixemporium

I would not run magnetic through a Roland. It costs virtually nothing more to print on something like IJ35 and mount that to the magnetic. If you're feeling really nice, you should laminate it too.

anotherdog

Ditto for the ij35, lam and and mount. Its only one extra step and it means you can use much better magnet

never have tried it........we just print on material and put it down on the magnet sheet. we use magnum magnetic and its a nice product.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Print on vinyl and install on magnetic material.
Don't beat up your expensive printer trying to do something that may work but not made for...

CS-SignSupply-TT

+1 to the above regarding magnetic material and printers; the two just do not mesh. We offer MAG X in a variety of thicknesses depending on the application. 030 is typical for vehicle mags; much thinner for refrigerator mags

txsurfer

If you really want to do it, I wouldnt suggest it, put Frisk over the metal, it will help the magnet move easier

I've had success in the past printing and cutting the .020 Magnum DigiMag on a VersaCAMM SP300V. The print quality was pretty good, but not as good as the regular vinyls. And cutting required several slow passes, enough to score the material that would be broken apart later. I must say the machine did not sound like it was having fun, even though I was running only a few feet of magnet at a time and cutting pretty slow. My machine was old so I was willing to risk the benefits of die-cut magnets, but I wouldn't try to do it on a new machine.

Steve

grafixemporium

I've had success in the past printing and cutting the .020 Magnum DigiMag on a VersaCAMM SP300V. The print quality was pretty good, but not as good as the regular vinyls. And cutting required several slow passes, enough to score the material that would be broken apart later. I must say the machine did not sound like it was having fun, even though I was running only a few feet of magnet at a time and cutting pretty slow. My machine was old so I was willing to risk the benefits of die-cut magnets, but I wouldn't try to do it on a new machine.

Steve

You must have money to burn. Blades aren't exactly cheap. Why would you want to burn a $15 blade to make one cheap set of flimsy, poorly printed magnets? That makes NO sense.