• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magnetic Material?

myronb

I have a short run of magnets that I want to contour cut(I know, I know, wear & tear on the machine! But I need to get myself out of a jam) Has anybody done this? What did you do about the magnet sticking to the steel part of the frame?

Thanks,
Myron

Gino

Premium Subscriber
C'mon man...... magnets stick to steel. That's the whole idea behind their strange mystery. You'll have to hand cut them or replace your metal parts with aluminum or something.

d fleming

Try placing the backing paper from the magnet roll on the plotter deck. Not over the grip wheels but everywhere else. Tape it into place. This will allow the magnet a better chance to roll across deck without sticking. Turn speed down. Adjust Force enough to score and crack and peel the result.

SuperSignsMP

Me and AUTOGRAFXX did this on a 48" graphtec. We took scrap mag material and covered the steel parts with it. Then we taped the paper from the back of some vinyl on top of that. Turned the speed way down, and kind of held it up to keep the weight from pulling it. You just have to score the top, you don't have to cut all the way through. Then bend the mag around the cuts, and they will pop right out.

myronb

I fiddled around with this & tried most of the suggestions here, but I wasn't having very good results, so I gave up!

onesmf

Make sure you are using a 60 degree blade. The magnet is only scored. Weed off material where the cut is when you are done. If the cut doesn't weed easily, crank up the pressure of your cut. Where is their steal on your machine that would effect the mag going through?

Techman

tape 120# card stock onto the platten every where the mag touches.
Cut away at slow speed. Not deep. Just score it. Thats all you need. If using one of those hobby cutters you will stress it and stretch the Y axis belt. Not much but your machine will not cut accurately any more after about 10 ft of mag material. Not much out of accuracy but it will start to show. If you continue it will eventually add up and really show when trying to layer a job.