Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magnets for Aluminum Body Vehicles

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Renato Pinto, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Renato Pinto

Renato Pinto Graphics Manager

Mar 10, 2018
    Kansas
    Hey guys,

Does anyone know of a material that can be used on the new Ford F-150s?

We had a huge order of magnets that we sent out and turns out, all their vehicles had an aluminum body.. *facepalm*

They want something that has the same properties of a magnet. They want to be able to take the decals off as they need.

Has anybody dealt with this before?

Thanks!

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  2. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

There are no magnets for aluminum, and despite the fact that there will be two different solutions offered here by purveyors and adherents (pun intended) of two different technologies, there is no product that is a direct substitute for the magnetic sign that can be used on non-ferrous metal bodied vehicles. Either they don't have the durability of magnetics, or they don't have the reusability of magnetics.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Like mentioned, there is no such thing in reality. They either need to change the trucks manufacturer or just direct letter them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    Glass Adhere works, laminated they are fairly thick and can last quite a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Instant One Media makes a material that's supposed to work. Got a sample and gave some to a client of mine, but haven't heard back yet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. signman315

signman315 Signmaker

Oct 5, 2015
    Edmeston, NY
    I do some blockout banner with Gudy 2 sided window laminate (double sided adhesive, high tack on one side applied to banner, low tack on other side that sticks it to the truck). It acts a lot like a magnet and can be removed/reused, biggest downfall is that the vehicle needs to be cleaned prior to removal and customer needs to have clean release paper to place them on for storage, otherwise they pick up a lot of debris on the adhesive side. Not perfect by far but pretty close to a magnet alternative...I've been doing them for awhile and customers haven't complained about them. My other go to solution is to explain to the customer that they can get low quality, temporary decals for significantly cheaper than magnets, making it cost comparable over a given period of time to buy them in bulk and just throw them out when done.

7. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

I agree although the manufacturer doesn't recommend lamination to prevent edge curling.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and they changed the name. It's no longer Glass AdHere, it is now Glass APeel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

We've used this material on a few non-glass surfaces like truck doors and it's fine the first time it goes on a sparkling clean surface but convincing the client to really clean the surface regularly and before applying them all the time is worth a handout and disclaimer of some sort.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. unclebun

That and the need to save the carrier paper in pristine clean condition is also a major problem.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    We had one client determined to use magnets. He pulled his doors apart and glued some really strong magnets to the inside panels... I was surprised but it worked and the magnets held on really well.

Costly and time consuming... But if they need magnets... It is an option.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    We'll give a scrap of coroplast for them to store them on.

12. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

Why do you have to save the carrier?

13. Renato Pinto

Renato Pinto Graphics Manager

Mar 10, 2018
    Kansas
    I'm assuming it's to store the decal when its not being used. Gotta keep the adhesion side clean at all times.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. unclebun

15. SheBeau

SheBeau Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    https://www.stickergenius.com/shop/aluminum-truck-body-reusable-stickers/
    Keep it in a drawer, or a rigid portfolio. Use the sticker board (or coroplast). Some things in life just need to stay clean.

16. unclebun

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  17. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    http://www.gansdigital.com/2017/01/18/idot_next_gen/

18. SheBeau

SheBeau Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I've seen magnets left on cars so long that they fuse solid! Unfortunately, no solvent melts magnet off paint. LOL

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    I've seen this too, but only on GM vehicles. My dad left his magnets on his older 07 F150 for at least a year if not two, and it came off just fine. One of our customers left his on for a few months and it started peeling the paint of when he tried to remove it from his late 2000s Chevy truck.