Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magnets for Aluminum Body Vehicles

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Renato Pinto, Apr 18, 2019.

1. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

I think that era GM had trouble getting paint to stick their cars period. Had to do with the galvanizing they were using on the steel or something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

From my understanding, there is no actual adhesive in the traditional sense. As long as you keep them flat they should be fine. If dirt sticks to them, rinse them under cool running water.

3. unclebun

Correct. It's not an adhesive. But it still has to be clean, and taking them off and on doesn't work endlessly. And they are very prone to creasing and dogearing when you peel them up. Which then makes them blow off. We actually use Glass Apeel, so I am not speculating.

4. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  5. Medina Signs

Medina Signs New Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Medina Ohio
    Here is a link - we've used it - make a print using the vehicle color - adhere to the car and apply your magnet.
    https://www.magnummagnetics.com/resources/file/PDF/sellsheets/RubberSteel.pdf.

6. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    It actually does work really well if it doesn’t rain, getting water behind it can be a problem.

7. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    You should disclose this when you mention this product because most people live in areas where it rains and this is not a viable solution to vechicle magnets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. unclebun

9. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    Doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of a magnet? We tell our customers, if you're not moving it around on a weekly basis, minimum monthly basis, you probably just need a sticker. Amazing how many people end up ordering stickers because they didn't realize they can get them off when they sell the vehicle! (With the right material of course, and time.) Customer Perceptions - Stickers: Permanent, Magnets: Removable

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SheBeau

SheBeau Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    A good amount of magnet material was left fused to the doors of a jeep after physically prying and peeling off the magnets.

11. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    The same way they keep the vehicle clean. They don't.

12. CSOCSO

CSOCSO I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.

Jul 18, 2012
    Florida
    open door. take off the panels and glue a big piece of magnet inside the door. now its magnetic

13. Medina Signs

Medina Signs New Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Medina Ohio
    The applications where we used this method was that of trucks with fiberglass or aluminum doors and in particular where a trucker was driving for different companies. He would replace one magnet with another depending on whom he was employed - it actually worked out for him... other than that we used it in an application where the customer had aluminum panels mounted on a wall and wanted magnets for production work that had to be moved around. We laid the rubber steel on the the aluminum, overlaid printed/laminated vinyl with his work flow diagrams and then made him a bunch of smaller magnets that could be re-arranged on the board. It worked out for them too. Other than that, I do agree that it defeats the purpose of magnetic material. Hope this explanation clears things up.