• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magnets for Aluminum Body Vehicles

unclebun

I've seen this too, but only on GM vehicles. My dad left his magnets on his older 07 F150 for at least a year if not two, and it came off just fine. One of our customers left his on for a few months and it started peeling the paint of when he tried to remove it from his late 2000s Chevy truck.
I think that era GM had trouble getting paint to stick their cars period. Had to do with the galvanizing they were using on the steel or something.

unclebun

Correct. It's not an adhesive. But it still has to be clean, and taking them off and on doesn't work endlessly. And they are very prone to creasing and dogearing when you peel them up. Which then makes them blow off. We actually use Glass Apeel, so I am not speculating.

Medina Signs

Old Member
Hey guys,

Does anyone know of a material that can be used on the new Ford F-150s?

We had a huge order of magnets that we sent out and turns out, all their vehicles had an aluminum body.. *facepalm*

They want something that has the same properties of a magnet. They want to be able to take the decals off as they need.

Has anybody dealt with this before?

Thanks!
Here is a link - we've used it - make a print using the vehicle color - adhere to the car and apply your magnet.
https://www.magnummagnetics.com/resources/file/PDF/sellsheets/RubberSteel.pdf.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
I've seen this too, but only on GM vehicles. My dad left his magnets on his older 07 F150 for at least a year if not two, and it came off just fine. One of our customers left his on for a few months and it started peeling the paint of when he tried to remove it from his late 2000s Chevy truck.

Doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of a magnet? We tell our customers, if you're not moving it around on a weekly basis, minimum monthly basis, you probably just need a sticker. Amazing how many people end up ordering stickers because they didn't realize they can get them off when they sell the vehicle! (With the right material of course, and time.) Customer Perceptions - Stickers: Permanent, Magnets: Removable

SheBeau

A good amount of magnet material was left fused to the doors of a jeep after physically prying and peeling off the magnets.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
open door. take off the panels and glue a big piece of magnet inside the door. now its magnetic

Medina Signs

Old Member
Kind of defeats the purpose of a magnetic, doesn't it?

The applications where we used this method was that of trucks with fiberglass or aluminum doors and in particular where a trucker was driving for different companies. He would replace one magnet with another depending on whom he was employed - it actually worked out for him... other than that we used it in an application where the customer had aluminum panels mounted on a wall and wanted magnets for production work that had to be moved around. We laid the rubber steel on the the aluminum, overlaid printed/laminated vinyl with his work flow diagrams and then made him a bunch of smaller magnets that could be re-arranged on the board. It worked out for them too. Other than that, I do agree that it defeats the purpose of magnetic material. Hope this explanation clears things up.

Proper

Hey guys,

We had a huge order of magnets that we sent out and turns out, all their vehicles had an aluminum body.. *facepalm*

They want something that has the same properties of a magnet. They want to be able to take the decals off as they need.

Thanks!

Apparently these Gripper Mats work quite well. https://properdesign.uk/products/new-gripper-mats-magnetic-sign-grippers-for-aluminium-vehicles

number1talent

Hey guys,

Thanks!

I wish I would have saw this thread. I had the same problem same truck also. Luckily my client said they were going to buy a new cargo van soon and that they will use the magnets for that vehicle. In the meantime I provided them with a couple of low tack vinyl film sheets. They said that they Will only use them once for one day doing the month maybe twice during the month for only one day. I told them to store the carrier make sure that they clean the doors etc. They were fine with this plus they still received the magnets that they could use under new vehicle. However someone in this form brought up the option to use coraplast. I think I like that idea better. If I would have saw this form first I probably would have went with the coroplast for temporary signage in place of the magnets.

Last edited:

Jumpshoutmedia

We had one client determined to use magnets. He pulled his doors apart and glued some really strong magnets to the inside panels... I was surprised but it worked and the magnets held on really well.

Costly and time consuming... But if they need magnets... It is an option.

This is EXACTLY what I was going to suggest, but instead of really strong magnets, I was thinking just stick strips of 3/16" 409 (magnetic) stainless steel to the inside of the door skin (horizontally) using a product like 3M 467MP.