• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magnum magnets flying off vehicles

meltsner

I'm having problems with Magnum Digi-Mag magnets flying off vehicles. Has anybody had problems with this? It is the Digi-Mag, .030 24" rolls. We print/laminate/apply to the magnet. This has happened twice now, first was with several 8" ROUND magnets, second time (just now) with 12" x 18" magnets w/ about a 2" corner radius. The first vehicle was a Dodge Dakota, second vehicle a Ford Focus.

I went out to the customer's Focus today after she brought them back (road rash!) and they DO stick, so it is not the doors. However......the doors are pretty scratched as it is a rural mail delivery vehicle (and thus the need for temporary signage - she needs to remove them 1-2 days a week), and I (embarrassed) did not give good pre-washing instructions, so perhaps that is a culprit.

But, just wandering if there are problems with this material?? Years ago we didn't have this problem, although it was different brand. I also have a roll of Mag-X, but holding strength seems to be about the same as the Magnum. Any other tips?

player

^ It seems like they have made it so nobody would follow the instructions...

Clean daily. Wait 2 days after waxing...

meltsner

Hmmmm, yes it does look that way, thanks. Still doing some hard research on it. It looks like A) they are going the "cheaper" manufacturing route, and/or B) perhaps partly because of that, calendered vinyl and/or laminate is not helping the situation.

I'm using Oracal 3651g / 210m and applying to the magnet. It's very little ink, just plain text with about a 1/2" outline around the magnet shape. While the signs were still sitting here before the customer picked up (right about a full week....btw had been storing them flat, but back-to-back; didn't realize that was not correct), I didn't notice any curling. But, since she brought them in they are VERY curled at the corners, but assumed it just may be from storing....they're completely unusable now. We are going to replace them, but trying to figure out next step.

Seems like years ago the magnetic we used had more strength. Our magnets are few and far between as we are not a full-time sign shop, so somewhat left out of the loop.
And figured Magnum should be the best? It looks like the Digi Mag Vinyl .030 is the highest-strength they have, at 85lb./sft. Interesting.

Farmboy

No sure if this will help you moving forward. We use liquid laminate on all of our car magnets. This is only my opinion but I feel it helps keep them more pliable and able to lay against the surface better.

MikePro

sell your client a few neodynium magnets to drop-onto her magnets and they'll never go anywhere without the car.

still, most likely a contaminated magnet that is "flying off" the vehicle.
had my Magnum magnetic logos on my car for nearly an entire winter without issue. its only when I would take them off, throw them in my backseat, and throw them back on before a long drive for an install that I started to notice them disappearing.

keep it clean, keep your car clean, don't let it potato-chip/wrinkle, and it works like a charm.
temporary is temporary. can't have it all.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Upsell them with the optional installation kit (1 kit per door).
mag-install-kit.jpg

wayne k
guam usa

jfiscus

Rap Master
i think it is from the customer removing them and letting them sit and "distort" to a different shape. If they had a hump in them when they slapped them back on and immediately drove away, then they're gonna lift and fall off at speed. I would suggest that after application they wait an hour before driving at high speeds.

Shadowglen

I think it could also have something to do with your vinyl lam selection. I was advised my my supplier to use 3551 with 290 lam because it has less shrinkage than the 3651/210 combo. I cant say for sure if that is part of your issue, but I only use magnum (and I say this as I knock on wood) I have not had any issues.

PRS Bryan

I have heard about the possibility of the vinyl shrinking, but I don't buy it.

Mostly because I have has multiple problems with the magnets flying off when I used IJ 180 and 8519.

Magnets has never been a big part of out business and I just wont make them anymore. I will make them for in-house purposes but not for customers.

I have lost too much money replacing them, I will let someone else take the risk.

Vinyldog

I believe Digi-Mag is designed to be printable. Since you are not printing on the magnetic anyway, try their other product for self adhesive vinyl.

MagnetStew

We print on DigiMag every day and have had maybe two fly-offs in the last 3 years. Both were due to improper installation on the customers side of things.

scrip

we supply a rigid enveloppe made of coroplast
and tell the client to put them in the enveloppe if they take them off the car.
it prevents wrinkle and most contamination

meltsner

Thanks for the great tips. Right now - hopefully it will work as I need something soon - I am printing/laminating and will just contour cut the shapes, not a large piece of vinyl, and use the MagX magnetic instead. They claim the same strength (85lb/sft) as the Magnum. I will try to experiment later on the Magnum we have right now and see if I can replicate the problem.

We got the DigiMag to print on with our VJ1204, but gave that up due to the risks and extra effort. And unfortunately Oracal is the only brand we have right at the moment, so can't test other brands working better. Maybe I'll include one of those installation kits too. Lol

player

When I was fabricating electric signs I would supply a piece of 22 gauge sheet metal slightly larger than the signs with rounded corners for safety. The signs were to be attached to the metal sheet for storage.

Techman

To me MAgs are a waste of time. I quit making them long ago. They either fall off. Or will ruin the surface behind them if left on for a long time.
The client comes back and demands replacement even when told they are not guaranteed to stay on.
They take way too much time to care for them. Let them sit on a back seat even for a short while will distort them.

And yes,, calendared vinyl will shrink on them and make them curl at the edges. And, the magnetic power fades after time.