• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mailing Postcards....Anyone have any luck with it?

Mikesbales

I've got a guy who can cut me a great deal on some 4" x 6" postcards and I'm considering sending them out to some of the areas around me but wanted to see if anyone here had done it in the past (because I haven't) and if they saw any return that would make it worth the trouble. Thanks in advance.

reQ

For me it was hit/miss. I did mail flyers to all business in our city. Sometime i got not bad return but sometimes like 0 return. I do not bother with it anymore.

Mikesbales

For me it was hit/miss. I did mail flyers to all business in our city. Sometime i got not bad return but sometimes like 0 return. I do not bother with it anymore.
Thanks for the reply. The return you did see, did it come primarily from a certain market segment (bars, restaurants, gyms, etc) or was it just random?

reQ

Thanks for the reply. The return you did see, did it come primarily from a certain market segment (bars, restaurants, gyms, etc) or was it just random?
It was random. The way it worked, if you lucky enough to hit a business which is in need of something right now, you will probably get a call from them. But if they don't need anything, most likely your card goes in to the garbage bin.

LEGEND

I used to work at a direct mailer, and the thing that worked the most imo was when someone did some kind of "big" discount and added an expiration date about a month out (in hopes people will take action sooner than later)... Also, don't clutter it with a ton of info, focus on one product you think will do great and maybe list the rest of your services on the back.

Techman

I do EDDM mail outs all the time.
Timing is every thing.
You could do one mailing and get a good return.'Do it again and get nada.

NateF

I think part of it depends on the demographic of your "good customer". If you deal mainly with larger businesses it may be hard to reach them with a mailing. Most of us in the print business are primarily business-to-business, not business-to-consumer, so saturating the residents in an area with a mailer (like EDDM) usually doesn't make sense for us. If you can focus in on your "ideal customer" with a targeted mailpiece, you may see some good results. But even then you'll want to follow up with repeated mailings over the next few months. Unless you're really giving away a loss-leader, you typically won't see huge results from your first mailing.

Also keep in mind that while the postcards are cheap, the postage adds up fast. And a 4x6 card isn't going to get much attention as a marketing piece. We typically try to steer customers toward a 6 x 11 (the largest card you can mail at letter rates) or even 9 x 12 if they're willing to spend a little extra on postage. Keep in mind that if you're mailing over 200 pieces, a mailhouse can mail under their bulk mail permit. Even after you pay them for their work, they will still save you money on postage.

Our business is more print than signs, and we try to do a monthly mailing to all larger businesses within a certain radius of our location. Usually about 1800 cards per month. We try to feature a low-priced special on something that's more of a commodity item (color copies, 1-color t-shirts, 2x6 banner, etc). These deals tend to get customers in the door, and then it's up to us to add value, build a relationship, and continue selling based on service and solutions rather than price. But in our model we have found postcards to be a good marketing tool. FWIW, we send a 6 x 11 card.

Sidney

I have had great results in handing out post cards. I use to hand out business cards and really had very little success until I purchased postcards over 16 years ago. What I discovered was that not only could you tell a story "visually" but, customers didn't lose them. I have not used business cards since. I have also done direct marketing and that yielded results but not as fast as simply handing them out while on a job site or as you pass a strip mall etc. Postcards can be effective because people seem to hold onto them for current or future sign jobs....I literally received one of my biggest projects after a customer received one of my postcards and held onto it for a year until she purchased a building and was ready to open her business( It eventually became a 70+ thousand dollar account...all from a 8 cent high gloss postcard).

Techman

if you're mailing over 200 pieces,

You do not need a mail house to do this,

One can do it themselves for about 18 cents each plus printing via the post office EDDM program

Printing can be done anywhere cheap.

jaylem

bulk mail and getting it to stand out

Using direct mail can be a challenge. Using a 4 x 6 sure doesn't make it any easier. Its been my experience that a large piece would be more effective. You also need to make sure that you have a well designed ad. No offense, but there are a lot of sign makers that might not be proficient designers for direct mail. If you want a the best chance for success make sure that your ad stands out from the crowd. Among other elements that are crucial for success, you will need to know what will motivate your audience. Speaking of audience, are using using a mailing list or sending them out shotgun style?

rjssigns

Another approach:

Target area. When you put a sign on a new business send out a postcard to businesses in a 6 block radius of that project. There are mailing services that can help you with this directed advertising.

royster13

Marketing like this does work if you put in a consistent and sustained effort.....1 off campaigns generally do not have the desired results....If you are going to do a 1 off campaign best to aim it at a very specific target market....

Direct mail

Our first few years we did targeted post cards quarterly and monthly email blasts, both of which worked well.

I agree targeting your end user is critical.

NateF

You do not need a mail house to do this,

One can do it themselves for about 18 cents each plus printing via the post office EDDM program

Printing can be done anywhere cheap.

This is true, but there are a couple important facts to consider. First, you can't EDDM mail a 4 x 6 card. Have to be over 6" tall or over 11" long, I believe, for EDDM retail. Second, not every business needs to market to every consumer in their area. EDDM is great for a pizza shop, car dealer, heating oil company, etc because a large percentage of the population is a potential customer. For those of us in signs or printing, a very small percentage of the population is even a potential customer. EDDM is an awesome, easy tool, but I don't think it's the best solution in this situation. This guy could spend $1 per piece, target only good potential customers, and still see a much greater return on investment.

But if you're going to sell mailings to your customers, EDDM is awesome

Techman

Second, not every business needs to market to every consumer in their area

For a poster that seems to talk marketing.. You are thinking way too small.

Why in the world would anyone market just to another business when there is so much work out there for other than just a business.

Grad posters, Easter posters, weddings, Halloween etc. For example. I just sold the 23rd 1/8 thick x21 black PVC jackolantern for 39 bux. All of which were cut from scraps.

I cut 8" x 31" Happy Birthday wall words from scrap pvc. Sold them for 48 bux. Just have to cut three of them all at the same time.

I lease out Graduation panels and wedding props.

C'mon every one.. Think big markets. Doesn't take many of these little extras to make groceries when waiting for the nice big stuff to roll in. It is especially nice to cut those scraps into cash.

Get out of the vinyl cutting. That's a dead market.

CanuckSigns

we did a postcard mailing a few year ago, sent out 5000 postcards to only businesses in the area (no residential) focusing one 1 single product we offer (rubber stamps), out of that 5000 post cards we got 2 orders, and one of them ended up stiffing us and never paid. Think about it, what do you do with all the junk mail that comes to your home/shop?

On the other hand, i have a client that we print 55,000 post cards for twice a year for mailouts, he's an insurance agent, if he gets 10 new clients from it, he's covered his costs, he keeps going it so it must work for him.

royster13

A couple things that apply to Canada and canada Post......

Canada Post has unaddressed admail (now called neighbourhood mail)......You can pick any area you want (as small as 1 carrier route) and target just businesses....If you have done a good project in a certain area, you might want to consider targeting just the delivery zones around that project.....Real Estate folks seems to send out postcards saying they have sold a home in the area and it must work because they keep coming.....

Canada Post also has a class of addressed admail called machineable....The minimum quantity is 500 pieces and the standard size rate is 0.46 (up to 50 grams and including returning undeliverables)......The mail must be prepared a certain way to qualify.....I use an 8-1/2 x 17 flyer folded into a self mailer and sealed with 1 tab...So if you have your own list or want to target a certain type of client and can find a list, this is a fairly economical way to do it.......At the very least you should touch base with your own clients 2 or 3 times a year...

oksigns

There is a lot of great information here. I'd like to reiterate timing and targeting the right area is as important as a clear message. I remember when my old shop found a few sweet spots to send the EDDMs and saw a good return and interest in our shop. Another thing is repetition. 1 time piece is forgettable; however, over time you build up a presence that leaves an impression.