• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Maintaining aspect ratio when resizing objects in Illustrator?

signmeup

How do I set the program to keep objects the same aspect ratio when I re-size them? It irritates me to have to use the shift key to do this. I would rather set it so the shift key let me distort the object and just click and drag would leave the object the shape it is....if that makes any sense.

Locals Find!

I too would also like to know if this is possible. Never thought about doing it any other way till I started using corel where you dont' have to hold the shift key.

Mike F

In Corel (and Photoshop as far as I remember), when you have an object selected, there should be somewhere on the screen where it tells you the size of the object and it lets you edit the size by inputting the desired size. Next to this, there's a lock icon you can toggle between locked and unlocked, locked maintains the aspect ratio. I would imagine there's something similar in Illustrator, I think even GIMP and Inkscape have that feature.

signmeup

In Corel (and Photoshop as far as I remember), when you have an object selected, there should be somewhere on the screen where it tells you the size of the object and it lets you edit the size by inputting the desired size. Next to this, there's a lock icon you can toggle between locked and unlocked, locked maintains the aspect ratio. I would imagine there's something similar in Illustrator, I think even GIMP and Inkscape have that feature.
Thanks Mike. Doesn't seem to make a difference though.

Locals Find!

That only works when your adjusting the image by a known measurement. If your just eyeballing adjustments to make it look right in your design. Its a bit of a pain to have to hold the shift key every time you resize something. Its a needless extra step in illustrator that Corel managed to get rid of.

That is why Pat's question is really good.

signmeup

. Its a needless extra step in illustrator that Corel managed to get rid of.

Corel didn't get rid of it... It's an extra step in Corel to defeat the locked aspect ratio. You hold Alt and drag the shape to distort it. If you hold Shift it re-sizes around the objects centre... but constrained. This is how I would like to set up Illustrator.

RandyToons

Well...Here are your options. Hold Shift Key or r click and choose transform or window/transform for the docker. Or...use Coreldraw =) Have fun!

Border

That only works when your adjusting the image by a known measurement. If your just eyeballing adjustments to make it look right in your design. Its a bit of a pain to have to hold the shift key every time you resize something. Its a needless extra step in illustrator that Corel managed to get rid of.

Pat who???

Signlab keeps it auto-locked as well. It get's confusing jumping between programs. Thank goodness for expletives, cuz I think that's about all you can do is cuss about it! Minus well get used to it.

HaroldDesign

I rely heavily on shortcut keys in Illy, so I never noticed. Now that it's been brought up - I hate it. It's the exact opposite of what it should be.

signmeup

Well...Here are your options. Hold Shift Key or r click and choose transform or window/transform for the docker. Or...use Coreldraw =) Have fun!
Kinda looking that way. Unfortunately, I have to use Illustrator more and more often because I am doing more printed work through a sub who needs Illustrator files.

signmeup

I rely heavily on shortcut keys in Illy, so I never noticed. Now that it's been brought up - I hate it. It's the exact opposite of what it should be.
I agree. How often do you want to screw up the proportions of a shape or font while re-sizing it? "Never" comes to mind. The default should be click and drag. Or at the very least... let me choose the default.