• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Major Issues with HP Latex 310

xkellyx

You mentioned they replaced the ink delivery system... did they check the calibration on the pressure of the ink being delivered to the heads? Reason I ask is that with ink blowing out on the right side of the printer, it may be that there is a fault somewhere in that system that is adding too much pressure and causing ink to be spit during the print pass.

Yes, we have had THREE ink delivery systems installed in the last 2.5 years. One of the first things the engineer did was to check all the calibrations. He went over the machine in depth and was unable to figure out the exact cause of the issue. The first 2-3 days he was here all he did was mess with profiles and ensure the machine was properly calibrated.

The issues with the prints are not exclusive to prints from the rip. The issues are apparent in the test prints run directly from the machine. Ruling out an issue with files and/or the RIP.

Just about everyone has mentioned static, but, our engineer has ruled out static as the issue. After working on the machine for a week, being in our environment, he found no static issues or issues with our set up that are currently known to create issues.

Here's an example of what we see. Full disclosure. I have zoomed in on the image and slightly adjusted the contrast so that the defect is more visible in the photograph. In person, the defects are visible from three feet or so away. I can't see how any client would find this acceptable.

panther-city-2.jpg
panther-city.jpg
panther-city-2.jpg
panther-city.jpg

xkellyx

What dealer did you buy it from? I would demand that they handle your printing until the machine they sold you works properly. We just finished up doing something similar with a client, we were able to produce work for them while our techs were trying to fix the equipment we had sold. It was only down for 3 days but the client never missed a beat.

The dealer we bought it from pretty much washed their hands of us after we first had an issue with the machine ( which was right after we bought it). They have ZERO interest in returning phone calls or emails and have basically told us that this is an HP issue and to take it up with them. I haven't attempted to contact them since then. I have no confidence that they would be of any assistance what so ever.

xkellyx

Have you talked to anyone about a replacement machine?

Yes. It has been communicated to me that a replacement is in the works. However, they are still having me run a variety of tests and making changes daily. I trust and like the engineer that I am working with. So, hopefully, this will all work out.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
The dealer we bought it from pretty much washed their hands of us after we first had an issue with the machine ( which was right after we bought it). They have ZERO interest in returning phone calls or emails and have basically told us that this is an HP issue and to take it up with them. I haven't attempted to contact them since then. I have no confidence that they would be of any assistance what so ever.

Wow really?? What dealer did this, please let us know so others don't get the same type of treatment!!

brycesteiner

Is it possible the files are bad too? I know you said that even test prints are spraying. I've had files come in from customers that were ready to print, but they had 100% of every color for black and would over spray, have drying problems, smear, etc. If you can view the PDF's in Acrobat and see what the separations are showing it might be helpful. I don't think it will solve all the problems but it might show you if something is getting converted wrongly from RGB to CMYK or vice-versa.

MHester

Oh girl, I'm sorry you've had all those issues. I bought a 310 in September 2015, and it's been running pretty smoothly since then (looking for wood to knock on). I'm a low-run in-house print shop so it doesn't get a whole lot of use..only 17,750 ml of ink used so far. I agree with other, HP just needs to replace the darn thing. Really, it's only a $13k printer, and a drop in the bucket for how much money they have compared to how much you've lost in down time, frustration, let alone loosing HP brand loyalty after this. I hope it gets resolved soon. Best of luck to you.

xkellyx

Is it possible the files are bad too? I know you said that even test prints are spraying. I've had files come in from customers that were ready to print, but they had 100% of every color for black and would over spray, have drying problems, smear, etc. If you can view the PDF's in Acrobat and see what the separations are showing it might be helpful. I don't think it will solve all the problems but it might show you if something is getting converted wrongly from RGB to CMYK or vice-versa.

I don't think so. It's every single file, even files which I have printed previously without issue. BUT, it's also the internal test prints which are producing the same thing.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm going to throw a huge party when you get this printer swapped out... Somehow this thread needs to be seen by the marketing director at HP

xkellyx

I'm going to throw a huge party when you get this printer swapped out... Somehow this thread needs to be seen by the marketing director at HP

You and me both! I got word the other day that although a replacement is "in the works" the GBU is requesting that they send out a tech again to double check to ensure there is no air in the lines and to perform a purge on the OP and Black- They also want us to try to take a video of the defect as it's being printed. Which, I'm pretty sure will be damn near impossible.

All of the techs which I have worked with have been great. I think at this point they are just as frustrated as I am with the pace and lack of movement. I'm pretty sure they are tired of my daily status requests.

Johnny Best

Texas should have a party where you take that machine outside and pour gasoline over it and burn it. Send a video to HP of you lighting the match. I would have already gotten a lawyer.
I remember when the Latex craze came out that they would be the end all to printer problems. It seems that is all we hear any more on here of all the problems they have. Too grainy, not good color, laminate not sticking, etc. Just like Mutoh, Rolands and eco and solvent machines, they all are not the greatest and each has their quirks.

xkellyx

So, after weeks of being lead to believe that a new machine was being procured, today I get word that there is a big IF in there. It's not in my personality to be a raging lunatic, but I think I might be getting close to a breaking point.

So, what I have is a machine that used to print without dumping ink in places it didn't' belong. What I have now is a machine that spits ink all over the place. Two different techs and an engineer have come out. Three ink delivery systems have been installed, new power supply, countless print heads, calibrations, carriage, flex cables, new heating system, pca - do I really need to go on?

Today another tech is coming out to purge the ink system and install yet another set of print heads. I think this is about the tenth set we have put in since this issue presented.

The machine has always either been under warranty or a hp service plan.

papabud

Lone Wolf
i agree, its time to hold them to the fire.
i do feel bad your have a bad machine. i love my latex and it runs almost non stop.
i really hope they ship you a new machine and it works perfectly from day one.
no matter how good someones manufacturing process is. there is always a defect in something.

AKwrapguy

So, after weeks of being lead to believe that a new machine was being procured, today I get word that there is a big IF in there. It's not in my personality to be a raging lunatic, but I think I might be getting close to a breaking point.

So, what I have is a machine that used to print without dumping ink in places it didn't' belong. What I have now is a machine that spits ink all over the place. Two different techs and an engineer have come out. Three ink delivery systems have been installed, new power supply, countless print heads, calibrations, carriage, flex cables, new heating system, pca - do I really need to go on?

Today another tech is coming out to purge the ink system and install yet another set of print heads. I think this is about the tenth set we have put in since this issue presented.

The machine has always either been under warranty or a hp service plan.

That must really be frustrating, I really hope that HP steps up and either figures it out or get you a new machine. All these problems and the money it's taken just to get to this point you would think that it would be easier and less expensive to ship you a new machine.

HulkSmash

this is without a doubt a bad machine (a lemon)

And for an HP support guy to tell you to use 18 pass, is him not knowing what to do to fix your issue, so he's just covering it up to get you out of the way.
I'd demand a new machine, unfortunately this was 3 years ago.. you should have done this a while ago

good luck.