Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making car magnets...need help

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by meg101, Dec 15, 2006.

1. meg101

meg101 New Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Hi guys. I’m trying to research as much as I can, but I still have a few questions so I need your guidance and expertise.

I'm wanting to make car magnets like the ribbon type or small bumper sticker size magnets.... what equipment do I need for that? I want to print on the magnet of course... do I need a separate printer or should I get a combo? Do I need to laminate them?

I would also be cutting letters and numbers from vinyl... but not much. Just a few for shirts now and then.

Is there a good book with all this info in it?

Please be patient with me ~ I’m trying to learn. Thank you for all your help and information in advance :)

Also I was thinking about outsourcing this part of my business, but most of my business is small orders, custom, so I’m not sure if I could find another business willing to only do small runs for me at a price I can afford to still be competitive. I also pride myself on quality. I only do quality work (that is when my equipment behaves) so I’d need to find someone who also only does top notch work. Is it possible to find someone willing to do that or should I just get the equipment and do it myself?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
    Tags:
  2. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    Hi Meg, first of all - how are the twins? (I think you were due a couple months ago???) Gotta get to the important stuff first :smile:

As far as the magnets go, you can print and score the magnets if you purchase a printer or cutter combo with optical registration. Many here seem to prefer seperate machines because it keeps the work flow going easier. We currently aren't doing this inhouse, but my local vendor prints and scores for us when we need shapes. Just make sure whatever machine you get (I'm not the one to recommend one) is using eco-solvent inks for durability.

3. meg101

meg101 New Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Hi ~ They are WONDERFUL thanks. Delivery abit out of the norm for me, but since I was a Surrogate I have time to recover without having to care for two babies LOL.

I was looking at the Roland 24 with the optical registration. I guess that would work. Now to the printer :) I'll research the eco-solvent inks. I have so many darn printers around here my husband is going to kill me getting another LOL. He just doesn't understand my needs :)

Thank you so much for your information :)

4. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Printer

If you use an eco-solvent you should laminate. I would recommend a Gerber Edge if items are small. You have the option with one of these to either print process or spot colors. If you look around you could find a used Gerber Edge with their plotter, these machines are designed to do what you are looking to do. They are pricey but they are build well.

5. Jackpine

Jackpine Major Contributor

The Graphtech MK 3000mk2 or MK5000mk2 ( replaced the 3000 ) would be worth looking into.

6. Che

Che New Member

Nov 21, 2006
    The magnetics is tricky for me. When printing to the magnetic cuase some parts of my mimki are metal it can get stuck and the same when ploting a shape, it goes off some. so my experiance has been using a printer and plotter is not the best way. Deeper research is needed here. So now to print and cut without to much trouble i tape a material betwwen the magnetic and machines to alow free flowing, and it works descent. I use a mimaki jv3 and a graphtec fc5100.

7. ENTDesign

ENTDesign Very Active Member

May 12, 2005
    :U Rock:

My hubby started wondering why the heck he didn't marry a woman who liked jewelry and furs, it would have been cheaper :Cool 2: and the living room would be more normal...

If most of what you envision doing is small decals and these magnets with a fair bit of color, the Gerber is not a bad way to go.

8. meg101

meg101 New Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Thank you all for your input and advice. I will research more and hopefully start my hands on trial and error soon :)