• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Making ICC Profile, grey's are green ??

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
It's actually called "density control only". As everyone has said, this is important so that you don't print your ICC swatches with another ICC profile "correcting" the color of the swatches.
When I create a profile in Versaworks, I want to insure no color management settings are impacting the files I'm using to create the profile. This is my process:
1. Create the media in Media Explorer. Do not print anything yet. Save the media and exit Media Explorer.
2. Edit the Queue you are using and under the Quality tab, select the media you just created. Still under the Quality tab, set Color Management to Density Control Only. Click OK.
3. Go back into Media Explorer and go through the steps to create the Ink Limits, Linearization and Total Ink Limits. Exit Media Explorer.
4. From your 3rd party software, create the patches needed to make the ICC profile and print them through Versaworks.
5. Read the patches through your 3rd party software and create the ICC profile.
6. Go back into Media Explorer and import the newly created ICC profile into your new media and click OK. Exit Media Explorer.
7. Go back into your Queue settings and under Quality tab - Color Management set to Prepress U.S.
8. Print a test file to check color.
I take this approach so that I know, without question, that I do not have any color profiles impacting any of the files I print to create my new media. I always get a neutral gray using this approach.
Hope this helps.

yannb

If your greys are greenish, try a much more aggressive GCR. Instead of a black start at 30% and medium GCR, go for a black start at 0% and Max K. It’s a setting in the last phase of any profile creation. Drawback: from close your prints can look grainy. On the positive side: ink usage can be up to 30% less, stay more neutral under various lighting conditions, and dry faster.