Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Making ICC Profile, grey's are green ??

Discussion in 'Roland' started by Biggermens, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Biggermens

Biggermens Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Canada
    Hello everyone

I been trying to make a ICC profile, i done it once a while ago and it worked out fine
    This time the grey's are turning green, i did it the same way as the last time

Anyone have any idea why ???
    I tried it 3 times with 2 different software

I follow this
    http://support.rolanddga.com/Docs/Documents/departments/Technical Services/Manuals and Guides/VersaWorks_Profiling.pdf

and this

I also tried to print this and it turned out green as well
    https://sunmaiblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/1178968055464.jpg

My end goal would be to find a Panton on a color book and have that come out of my printer

Thanks
    Biggs

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Tags:
  2. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Depending on your RIP, that can sometimes be in the section about how it reproduces gray. If it uses gray replacement (I think it's called) it uses CMY to make gray, but it turns out green.

3. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    Try using a spot color. It Might...this is how Caldera handles spot colors fyi...take it to Lab and process it that way. We with caldera have the ability to program CMYK values for a spot color. When converting to CMY...grays go haywire.

4. Biggermens

Biggermens Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Canada
    I am using versaworks 5, i will try to use spot colors and see what happens

What i don't get, the same job i try it with a profile i made a while ago and its way way better could be passed off a grey

5. Biggermens

Biggermens Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Canada
    The Bottom one is the profile i made a while ago, did not change nothing other then media type in versaworks

Attached Files:

6. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    Looks like you need to do a linearization as well... the gradient doesn't look like it has any steps from 80-100%.

7. Biggermens

Biggermens Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Canada
    Gonna try that right now, I did a profile with 3000 patches, and its the same,
    the green got nicer haha
    gonna try the linearization right now
    I wonder maybe my device is messed up ??? is there anyway i can test to make sure is working well
    I have a i1pro2

8. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    Using spot colours to get colours to reproduce colours as intended only works for spot colour situations.
    This isn't the answer when you need to print a B&W photo with gradients.

9. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    Do you have Xrite i1 profiler software? to be able to create icc profiles from i1 profiler?
    Xrite engine is pretty good and pushing out consistent profiles. Wouldn't say it's the best but it's pretty good.

10. Biggermens

Biggermens Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Canada
    Yes I am Using I1profiler and i also tried Profile making 5, both with the same result
    I did a linearization in i1profiler with not much better results
    I looked at a bunch of you tube video from x-rite and also did the I1 Diagnostic everything passed

11. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Based on your workflow, Versaworks Media Explorer is where the following steps need to be performed:

- single channel ink restrictions
    - linearization
    - total ink limit

The ICC profile itself would need to be created in a 3rd-party color engine such as i1Profiler or ProfileMaker or similar. After it exists, it is linked to the print mode in Versaworks.

Note that you can test whether the linearization or ICC is at fault by printing your gray step wedge with color management disabled - Choose 'Density Control Only' in the Color Management listbox. If the grays are neutral, the linearization is fine. If the grays have a color cast, you need an updated linearization.

12. Biggermens

Biggermens Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Canada
    I did all the steps in the video and roland documentation, I did linearization in i1profiler but could not find it in versaworks
    I did try to print density control only and it still turned out green
    Do you know were linearization is in versaworks 5 ?
    It prints kind of grey with other profiles, pulls more to linearizatione purple but its closer to grey then green haha

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  13. P Wagner

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    In the Arlon video, the linearization is referenced around the 3:00 minute mark - it is the calibration chart that is printed after the single channel ink restrictions have been entered.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Biggermens

Biggermens Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Canada
    Yes Yes i did do that part, sorry i am losing my mind a bit
    I wonder if there is a difference from spot scanning and the sliding scanning with the i1pro ??
    I made my spots 0.5"x0.5"

15. FrankW

FrankW Very Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Germany
    Be shure to set the color management-settings in Versaworks to „linearization only“ when printing the swatch. Not doing this can lead to strange results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Biggermens

Biggermens Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Canada
    Were is that setting ?? I cant seam to find it

Thanks

17. P Wagner

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    As I recall, printing the calibration swatch from Media Explorer should be all that is needed. A close examination of the ramps should be able to show if only a single ink color is present in each ramp (that is what is needed). I recall scaling the calibration chart to about 115 percent to make the patches slightly larger and thus easier to measure using the i1 spectro.

18. Biggermens

Biggermens Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Canada
    Yap I printed it at 120 % works a lot easier with the i1pro2

I have a ColorChecker Passport, i wonder if there is a way i can scan the colors on that to make sure it is scanning the colors properly

Thanks

Attached Files:

19. Biggermens

Biggermens Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Canada
    And if you look at the 3D graph, it looks pretty messed up, not sure its suppose to look like that ???

I feel like trying to see if it will print better with Flexisign or is it worth to get Onyx ???
    I herd good things of Onyx

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  20. FrankW

FrankW Very Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Germany
    Is in the quality tab, at the end of the window. It shows different color management presets, and „linearization only“. If not doing this, an ICC-profile is applied to the printed swatch, what changes the colours.