• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Marketing Idea

John L

I've seen a lot of folks on here asking for creative ideas to market their sign business. Seems many more since the economy crapped out. I may not be the inventor of this but this is actually an old one that I, in fact, came up with years ago on my own. I could easily see it working very well right now and thought I would share it with you folks.

The essence of this deal is that you start by searching out the local newpaper, local TV station, radio station, regional magazine, trade magazines, local chamber, realtor/builder/dentist/whatever groups and publications, etc. The info you need is WHO has recently won or been mentioned as the BEST at SOMETHING. Spring time seems to be a great time for this too.

If your area is like the areas that we have worked in over the years... using the sources mentioned (and hundreds of others) you will find it very easy to locate members of business groups that are constantly patting themselves on the back with these BEST at SOMETHING awards.

You use this info to sell these businesses some "bragging" materials.... An award statement lettered on their storefront or doors, a countertop sign, table tents, new business cards with a brag statement, a banner celebrating the award, an A frame, coro cutout/standup, wall plaque, a 30' neon pylon... any and all- whatever it is you hock.

Targeting this new "market", you get;
  • Free leads of apparently successful businesses to hit with a product that many others wont think to offer, and almost never right when they are primed to buy it.
  • Just about no one pays any attention to these things so you have a great opportunity to CONGRATULATE them and get your foot in there with a warm welcome.
  • This market has spending money -apparently- because they are the BEST at something! ... so sniff it out.
  • You are easily talking them into honking their own horn before their moment of fame passes. Both motivators.
  • Many times, especially organizations, magazines, etc have already done the "design" for you and I know they always handed it over to me (on behalf of their client member) quicker than you can Google a Peeing Calvin.
On this subject... I could also mention that many of these "Polls" that have resulted in these awards seem to be quite rigged. I am suggesting that the winner of the Dining Magazine's "Best Italian" is many, many times already a major advertiser client of the Dining Magazine. Also great for you because this guy is already used to spending money on advertising.

Once you land one like this you are also prime to backend for all of your other offerings and increase your chance of being around at the "right" time for another sale.

Best of luck.

many communities also do an annual "voted best...whatever" , if not the community the local newspaper (which in my opinion the Star, Enquire, etc are a better source of "news") put them on... i've lived in 4 communites in the last 10yrs that have done something of this nature.

i agree in regards to them being 'rigged' or at best a popularity contest but hey..if it will help you sell signs "Cachingos" lol.

maybe even contact the organization or the newspaper putting on the competition and have a banner as part of the prize package so that they all utilize the same artwork, are instantly recognizable, and you get a bulk order versus onesie/twosies.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Great idea...I'll have to do some thinking on this one.

Our community also has the "People's Choice" award for numerous categories (grocery store, auto repair, computer service, plumber, and so on...) It's sponsored by the local newspaper. The winners proudly display their awards for all to see...and the ones I've visited are truely top-notch in their category...especially our Italian restaurant.

Now...how do I incorporate this idea with stone engraving?

JB

Mosh

The best marketing is to do GREAT work and that is all you need. ... If you do good work they will come, if not you need to do something else. In 22 years I have not done ANY advertising at all. No way to argue this fact!!!! If you ain't selling signs you ain't trying hard enough, or doing good enough work!!!!! AND that is the bottom line..cause the MOSH said so!!!!

visual800

Nice thought, But I don't follow around the back patters and boost their ego. As far as "best of awards" being rigged YES THEY ARE! If you constantly spend your advertsiing dollars with paper, radio or tv, YOU WIN! Its not thing but another fell good POS contest thats absolutely worth nothing.

Want to get better jobs start chasing bulldozers and see who putting up new buildings.

phototec

The best marketing is to do GREAT work and that is all you need. ... If you do good work they will come, if not you need to do something else. In 22 years I have not done ANY advertising at all. No way to argue this fact!!!! If you ain't selling signs you ain't trying hard enough, or doing good enough work!!!!! AND that is the bottom line..cause the MOSH said so!!!!

+1

Custom_Grafx

Thanks for taking the time to write all that to help people who may be looking for ways to get more work.

Although not everyone in the sign biz has a laser engraving machine, most of you will have a guy who does. An easy upsell for these guys, is a laser etched acrylic award.

Doesn't cost much but looks $exy. A good upsell to the things you already mentioned I thought I may add to the already thorough list.