• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mas OSX Lion- You digging it?

CES020

Anyone update to Lion yet? I did last night. I'm still fumbling my way around but a couple of things I'm liking already is the "Reading List" in Safari. REALLY like that feature. Super nice to be able to compile a list of "things to read" and then be able to get to them easily without having to bookmark everything.

Like the mission control too. Nice to be able to create "spaces" or, what I'd call a number of "desktops" and then flip them them one at a time.

Full screen is also nice.

My computer flipped the gesture direction on scrolling. I thought I'd try it the new way for a while, but finally came back and changed the setting so it was back the way I had it.

Also liking the new layout on Mail too. Seems much easier for me. I wasn't a big fan of apple's mail until now.

Still getting my feet wet, so I'm sure there's lots more to find.

Anyone else install it? Enjoying it or hating it?

thinksigns

SnowFlake
What programs are you using? I usually try to wait to hear if there are problems with Photoshop, Flexi, etc. before upgrading.

CES020

I'm not using crap on it. I bought a used Macbook Pro to get my feet wet with the Mac and see if I'd like it. Right now my primary use of it is FileMaker Pro to track all our work, and to manage our website. That's about it for now, other than playing with various programs out there.

I'm slowly trying to transition from PC to Mac, but the next step is going to be expensive (new computers and new Adobe CS seats for Mac), so I'm baby stepping it right now :)

CES020

I'm liking Mission Control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sadly some of the gestures don't work on my laptop, so maybe a new trackpad is in order :)

Kyle Blue

I haven't purchased it yet, but I plan to soon. The features on it just look amazing. To busy right now goofing around on my iPad 2. I have a photoshop type app for $4.99 and it's pretty cool. Go Apple!

cgsigns_jamie

I'm really liking it! Especially on my MBP, the new gestures are really cool. Thinking about getting a track pad for my desktop now.

I love the new mail application! iCal and Address Book are a little "pretier" now too!

By far, full screen apps and Mission Control are my favorite feature. Just swipe to switch from one app to another.

As far as compatibility with applications...
I'm running the Adobe CS5 Master Suite with no issues. The Apple iWork, and iLife suite run perfectly (no surprise), VMWare Fusion 3 still runs great.

I upgraded our server to Lion and that didn't go so well so, for now, that's still on Snow Leopard. There were some issues upgrading our Open Directory, waiting to hear back on a fix.

ilusionprod

I updated to Lion without even thinking about it affecting my sign software. Now Flexi won't work. The hardware key is recognized. Any body have thoughts on what I can do to get it back up and running? If you are thinking about upgrading to OS X Lion - you might wait.

ucmj22

I cant get it :( my computer at home is a first gen Intel core duo iMac and isnt compatible with Lion. we will probably update our iMacs here at the shop in a month or to after the first couple patches are made.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I NEVER upgrade my os on the first version. At least not on my work computer. I'll wait until the .1 update at the very least. Everyone else can find the bugs

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I updated to Lion without even thinking about it affecting my sign software. Now Flexi won't work. The hardware key is recognized. Any body have thoughts on what I can do to get it back up and running? If you are thinking about upgrading to OS X Lion - you might wait.

As with any OS update did you back up or clone your hard drive? I use carbon copy cloner and plan to make sure I have a good backup before I upgrade

njshorts

I NEVER upgrade my os on the first version. At least not on my work computer. I'll wait until the .1 update at the very least. Everyone else can find the bugs

This!

Also, did some digging... Lion drops rosetta support and there are a lot of complaints about MS Office and Photoshop being unusable... Office isn't so much of a problem since I never use it, but Photoshop is a dealbreaker. Also, if you have a uMBP- complaints about mouse gestures not working and heat trouble.

I'll wait.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I believe that CS2 and before are no longer supported by Lion. Office 2004 and earlier

The way to tell if you cannot use a program is to open up activity monitor. Any program that says "PowerPC" under the kind heading will not work with Lion. You must update or do without these programs

I try to use OpenOffice more since I do have the older Office program which won't work under Lion whenever I upgrade

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-22 at 9.19.13 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-22 at 9.19.13 PM.png
    134.7 KB · Views: 60

njshorts

The reviews in the app store speak of office 2008 and all adobe versions (errors, slowdowns, etc) as well, which is what I have... Plus, like you mentioned as well- dropping rosetta support without warning was REALLY, REALLY stupid.

FrankenSigns.biz

I have a MacBook with a 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo that I use as my "personal" computer. In effect I made me a little MacBookAir by installing 2 gigs of memory and a 128 GIG Solid-State drive. Anyway, I do a lot of experimenting with this thing and I immediately put Lion on it.

The new Mail is great so I have deleted Entourage. Launch Pad is cool but it needs a little tweaking. Everything is working great, printers still printing, all programs (Adobe CS4, QuixkBooks Pro 2007, Freeway 5.5), are still running great. Had to dump Quark 7.0, but I don't use that anymore anyway.

For those of you who were running Snow Leopard with no problems should make a smooth transition. This is a functional upgrade, it's not just eye candy. (But it is that, too.)

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
The reviews in the app store speak of office 2008 and all adobe versions (errors, slowdowns, etc) as well, which is what I have... Plus, like you mentioned as well- dropping rosetta support without warning was REALLY, REALLY stupid.

They mentioned the dropping of Rosetta support when Lion was first previewed. I have known about it for quite some time

signswi

Running it on my Hackintosh, the UX changes aren't anything special, mostly stuff that's been around for years via 3rd party or on different platforms...and a good deal of it is annoying.

I wouldn't update a production machine until the point release, as Vector Doctor mentions.

CES020

My computer is old enough where some of the trackpad gestures didn't work. Would have been nice to know that before updating. I suppose if I knew enough to know, I would have known :)

Bought one of the new, stand alone bluetooth trackpads and oh my.......WOW.... LOVING Lion a LOT now. The swiping pages on websites is amazing. I'm digging that for sure. With two finger swiping pages back and forward and then 4 fingers swapping applications, it's just a pleasure to navigate around the computer, whether it's applications or websites.

Very nicely done in my opinion.

njshorts

My computer is old enough where some of the trackpad gestures didn't work. Would have been nice to know that before updating. I suppose if I knew enough to know, I would have known :)

Bought one of the new, stand alone bluetooth trackpads and oh my.......WOW.... LOVING Lion a LOT now. The swiping pages on websites is amazing. I'm digging that for sure. With two finger swiping pages back and forward and then 4 fingers swapping applications, it's just a pleasure to navigate around the computer, whether it's applications or websites.

Very nicely done in my opinion.

those gestures worked on snow leopard! :)

FrankenSigns.biz

Yes, there are some new and very cool gestures. I went out and bought the trackpad as well.

There are those that believe that Apple has every intent to, wait for it... dispense with the mouse altogether.