• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mascot Update... Again.

Joe Diaz

A couple years back we had an article in sign craft, about how we were trying to update our local schools mascot. One reason is because the icon they have been using for years is clipart and not original at all. The other is that the Indian head they were using doesn't represent the Native Americans in our area at all. The tribe that Chief Pontiac belonged to didn't wear full head dresses.

Since there are no know photos of Chief Pontiac, the only thing we have to go off of are illustrations and portraits of the Chief. Some show him with a mow-hawk, some with long hair. Descriptions of the Chief say that he either wore 2 or 3 feathers.

Our goal is to not have some generic "Indian" as a mascot. We don't want to be disrespectful to Native Americans. However the town is named after Chief Pontiac, so the goal of the new mascot is to honor him.

Anyway, I have revised the design yet again:
indian_mascot_2010.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think it looks really good, however.... he also looks like a pirate now. The eye area could easily be mistaken for a patch and the head band looks like 'AARGH, Matey'

signgal

I come from over used-indian-mascot land (long name, I know) and that is awesome! I think it does pay homage completely.

Joe Diaz

I think it looks really good, however.... he also looks like a pirate now. The eye area could easily be mistaken for a patch and the head band looks like 'AARGH, Matey'

Good Point. :thumb: I think I have a solution for that. I'll post it some time after lunch.

signmeup

Looks like a pirate with feathers. I really liked your first one better. The one in the mag....not the head dress one.
Actually...he kind of reminds me of Alice Cooper. With feathers. Your "first attempt" leaves no doubt that it's an Indian chief.

signgal

I thought the same thing, signmeup... but I'm not sure the authenticity is right. He's stressing that point. I think the new post will be dead on! can't wait to see...

Joe Diaz

The reason for changing it is because the updated design works better on multiple colored backgrounds. The first attempt didn't work well on navy. When you reversed the colors and make what is now navy a lighter color it didn't look right. I could put a white border around it, and I did, but I just was never happy with it.

Also I always wanted to have the feathers wisping back. I didn't like the feathers on the old design. This new design will look better on our football helmets. It's more aggressive looking and has movement.

I dropped the mohawk for the same reason. It didn't look stream line enough for me. I think this new one looks closer to a professional sports team logos, than the old one.

Here I added a shape in the eye so that it looks less like an eye patch. I also changed the direction of the war paint on his cheek and changed that to orange. Plus added some lettering. I'm not 100% sold on the lettering yet. indian_mascot_2010_2.jpg

Pat Whatley

When you get ready to license it take the eye back out, stick a knife in the mouth and call it a pirate!

Dude, that's awesome work. If they don't like it kick them in the shins.

Joe Diaz

Chief Pontiac was actually the chief of the Ottawa Indian Tribe. If you have ever been to Starved Rock State Park you have heard of the story.

Anyway. This is one of the more famous portraits of him:
Pontiac-chief-artist-impression-414px.jpg

I can see the pirate resemblance in the portrait too.