• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Matching 280 Reflective with Edge Colors?

jfiscus

Rap Master
I have a rush job that a sample was provided for, and I have to print it as all one piece (edge print) to match the sample from the customer.
It is a "gold" with "dark green" reflective pinstripes. We have been able to match the gold through double-striking trans gold on 280i white, but cannot come close to the green color needed to match.

Here's the doosie part: the green matches 280 Green Ref Exactly.
Does anyone know how to match 280 Green with Edge prints? We've tried a LOT of combinations so far with none getting close.
We have also tried using 280 gold as the base color and printing combos of other colors on top of that, with similar dismal results.

Our spectratone books list a lot of good close combos for printing on non-reflective colors, but you can't use the non-trans colors in the combo and keep it reflective...

I need help!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

jfiscus

Rap Master
Here is a photo of the sample provided zoomed in as best as possible.

The green pinstripe is only 1/8" and the stripe needs to be 50' long...

Attachments

• DSCF0040.jpg
    DSCF0040.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF0039.jpg
    DSCF0039.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 67

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I believe the GerberColor Transparent Series Foils (GCT) are all supposed to be dead on matches for the 3M Scotchlite colors when printed on 280-I.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I believe the GerberColor Transparent Series Foils (GCT) are all supposed to be dead on matches for the 3M Scotchlite colors when printed on 280-I.
I thought so too, but I've never had to match 280 green before; the vinyl is darker and has a more blueish look to it than the printed trans green does.

The Gerber Color ID suggests Trans Green over Bermuda Blue as a color shift of only 6%.
It also suggests Trans Green over Process Yellow and Trans Green over Lime Green as close matches, but using non-trans colors reduces or removes reflectivity.

jfiscus

Rap Master
A TRIPLE-Strike of Trans Green on 280Gold gets pretty close, this may be what we go with for the project... Lots of foil use-age when you're printing a 50' stripe!

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
You can Spectratone it, just set your colors at 95% instead of 100% and the reflective quality will still come through. I do this all the time with chevrons for the back of police cars.