• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material for full window decals installed inside facing out?

JPR-5690

What material(s) would you use for printing full window decals that are mounted on the inside of the building with the printed graphic facing outwards?

Obviously I can't print on the adhesive side. I'm familiar with Drytac's WindowTac, I just haven't used it personally.

But what base material should I use?

I'd be using an HP 560 and hiring out installers, and I'd be open to sub'ing out the entire job if necessary, I'd just prefer to do this in-house.

print on clear vinyl in mirror, laminate with white vinyl, apply wet :)

It just blows my mind people can afford 15k+ printers with no basic knowledge of the industry, no offense, just saying.

MikePro

harsh, bruh. noobs have feelings too.
....and +1 to stated above, at least the production part. however, simply backing the print with white vinyl WILL blockout most light transmission and ALL visibility.
you can also:
-substitute-in white perforated vinyl (like 3M 3635-210) applied over the top of your mirror'd clear-print, if partial visibility through the window is desired, but the image won't be visible if it is dark outside and the lights are on inside.
-substitue-in white diffuser vinyl (like 3M 3735-70) applied over the top of your mirror'd clear-print, if partial light transmission through the window is desired, so that people inside can tell if its still daylight outside.

JPR-5690

print on clear vinyl in mirror, laminate with white vinyl, apply wet :)

It just blows my mind people can afford 15k+ printers with no basic knowledge of the industry, no offense, just saying.

Sorry, didn't realize I had to spell out all of the individual factors that I was already taking into consideration in order to make it seem like I had a "basic knowledge of the industry".

Next time I'll be sure to include a full disclaimer about being self taught along with multiple apologies for asking advice from people who clearly know more than me, but I digress.

harsh, bruh. noobs have feelings too.
....and +1 to stated above, at least the production part. however, simply backing the print with white vinyl WILL blockout most light transmission and ALL visibility.
you can also:
-substitute-in white perforated vinyl (like 3M 3635-210) applied over the top of your mirror'd clear-print, if partial visibility through the window is desired, but the image won't be visible if it is dark outside and the lights are on inside.
-substitue-in white diffuser vinyl (like 3M 3735-70) applied over the top of your mirror'd clear-print, if partial light transmission through the window is desired, so that people inside can tell if its still daylight outside.

Light transmission isn't even part of the equation in this case, these are just covering vacant storefront windows until they figure out the next tenant.

If it was a decal on the outside it wouldn't be an issue, but since it's going on the inside I wasn't sure if the material really made a difference since I've seen articles on here about the danger of fully-covered windows absorbing too much heat from the sun and breaking.

Oh and in case I forgot to say it already, sorry for asking for advice, I'll think twice about it next time or maybe just go huff some solvent and chew on some pvc instead :toasting:

zspace

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, didn't realize I had to spell out all of the individual factors that I was already taking into consideration in order to make it seem like I had a "basic knowledge of the industry".

Next time I'll be sure to include a full disclaimer about being self taught along with multiple apologies for asking advice from people who clearly know more than me, but I digress.

Light transmission isn't even part of the equation in this case, these are just covering vacant storefront windows until they figure out the next tenant.

If it was a decal on the outside it wouldn't be an issue, but since it's going on the inside I wasn't sure if the material really made a difference since I've seen articles on here about the danger of fully-covered windows absorbing too much heat from the sun and breaking.

Oh and in case I forgot to say it already, sorry for asking for advice, I'll think twice about it next time or maybe just go huff some solvent and chew on some pvc instead :toasting:

Light transmission may be important. If you hang banners the space will feel pretty dark and closed in. Clear with a white vinyl backer will at least let some light through. You might use that as a way to upsell the customer to fabric or panovision.

Good luck with the project.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Light transmission may be important. If you hang banners the space will feel pretty dark and closed in. Clear with a white vinyl backer will at least let some light through. You might use that as a way to upsell the customer to fabric or panovision.

Good luck with the project.
You all missed where he said it was vacant space

Billct2

Vacant space? Unless this is one of those high end places that like to spend lots of money on marketing- print on paper or poly and tape to the inside of the glass.
Save the client lots of money and you look like a hero.

ams

Be careful, many windows are tinted so when you remove it later, it's going to rip off the tint.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
According to the size of these windows, printing on synthetic paper and taping to the inside.... would be your best bet all around. I think the banner material might sag, if there is too much area to cover.

This way, if work is being done inside, no one will see the mess, until they're ready to open it back up.

JPR-5690

Vacant space? Unless this is one of those high end places that like to spend lots of money on marketing- print on paper or poly and tape to the inside of the glass.
Save the client lots of money and you look like a hero.

It kind of is – it's a university. We've just never done something of this nature for them so Im trying to be careful with this bid so I can get more of their signage orders.

According to the size of these windows, printing on synthetic paper and taping to the inside.... would be your best bet all around. I think the banner material might sag, if there is too much area to cover.

This way, if work is being done inside, no one will see the mess, until they're ready to open it back up.

Right now Im planning on Drytac's SilkScape PP with their WindowTac adhesive...I haven't had great luck with papers on the 560 – do you have a synthetic paper that works well for you?