• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material Shortage?

signheremd

It is all vinyl manufacturers. I was told the plant that burned down last year in Texas was one of only a few plants to produces a certain chemical used to make vinyl (and laminate). Translucent vinyls are the worst to find - if you need a certain color and it is in stock, order it then or you face a 60 day lead time once you order it... As to OraFol products, I can't find 3951RA, 3751RA, 290 gloss anywhere...

gnubler

There's a material shortage because Victor bought it all.
Yeah, no kidding. Perhaps that's the reason for some of the shortages, just like the toilet paper hoarders of 2020. Selfish.

Ordering from Fellers gives me anxiety now because half the vinyls I choose are out of stock or you have to call in to check on inventory. Been going with different roll widths when 30" isn't available.

echeverrit

We switched from Orajet 3951RA 30" rolls over to 3751RA 30" rolls but everything else media-wise has been available, at least in limited quantities. Cut vinyl seems to be the real obstacle. Some colors are just impossible to find. Even Oracal 751 black was out of stock everywhere about a month ago and we had to substitute it with 3M.
which 3M did you start using instead of Oracal 751 Black?

gabagoo

I was told that there is a run on retractable banner media, out of stock at my usual suppliers. I was told it's not expected back in stock till the fall, with trade shows back in full swing now all the companies are looking to refresh their 2.5 year old tradeshow displays!
...and something has changed with that retractable banner material, no doubt out of China.... I have had numerous prints that are not drying fast enough before they start to roll up and I have toasted in one batch 7, so now I have to print them one at a time and get them off the roll asap plus run floor fans as they are being printed. The material looks identical to the stuff we were using before covid but something is definately not right with it.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I hate to be a meanie but if we are in May 2022 and the customer starts getting pissy with me about material shortages, I start to get snotty because I don't have time to explain the last 2 years to them.

Seriously? You don't see your favorite stuff missing at the grocery store? You don't have to wait longer at the restaurant?

Go somewhere else because...

1652207945152.png

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I have a big shirt order from a dealership right now. I told them that one color in one size wouldn't be available until July. The guy said, "I"m the parts manager at this dealership, I completely understand the shortage problem."

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm not gonna lie, this material and labor shortage nonsense is the best thing that has ever come along for someone who likes to procrastinate.
Nope, not ready yet, still waiting on material!

We think alike! [emoji23] plus when you don’t feel like spending an hour looking for a yard of vinyl it’s a good excuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk