• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material suggestions for donor recognition display

gnubler

I'm in the beginning stages of putting together a donor recognition display and would like some feedback on choosing the best materials and the best method of mounting it on the wall.

It's going to measure 3 ft wide by 5 ft tall, a single main panel rigid enough to support about two dozen individual acrylic nameplates that will be attached with standoffs. The main panel will be contour cut along the top edge to look like mountains, printed vinyl applied, and needs to be strong enough to accommodate all the screws for the standoffs. What would you use? I considered 6mm Dibond but wondering if that would make it look 'cheap' unless I paint the edges or wrap the vinyl around.

I want to calculate the total weight of the piece before I even start production. Would you use a French cleat bracket on the back, or what? I went on a site visit to check out the installation wall - it's only going to span one metal wall stud in the center somewhere and the rest will have to be drywall toggles.

Here's an example I found online of a similar concept - one main panel with dimensional pieces attached. Any ideas on what the main panel is and how it was mounted on the wall?

P1100029B.JPG

visual800

It almost looks like acrylic with graphics on back side. the trees and stream appear to be 1/8" materials mounted on front side. on front side.

If they are wanting less weight How about .25" thick acm with matte digital print ( I dont like gloss on interior signage) on front and then routed pieces laid on front. As far as edges I really would not be too concerned with them since this panel is flat on wall.....wrapping a print around edging never turns out good

Val47

We did something very similar to your picture. Acrylic panels, clear vinyl, with mirrored print for 2nd surface mount. Stand offs to mount to the wall.
The panels were cut by our CNC guy, holes for stand offs included with the cut path.

gnubler

Here's a basic comp of what I'm working on. It's going to measure 5 ft x 3 ft. I think I'm going to use acrylic for the main panel instead of ACM, and apply printed vinyl second surface. What thickness of acrylic should I be looking at? Cast or extruded, what's the difference? It needs to support a number of smaller acrylic plaques with standoffs, as shown. The blue lake will also be acrylic, fastened to the main panel.

Attachments

• Donor-board.jpg
    Donor-board.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 138

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We did something very similar to your picture. Acrylic panels, clear vinyl, with mirrored print for 2nd surface mount. Stand offs to mount to the wall.
The panels were cut by our CNC guy, holes for stand offs included with the cut path.
here is a picture of the completed project we did. We didn't take the pictures, so I don't have a good angle shot that would be of interest to sign people. A local artist did the art on the wall, we produced the panels. I think the acrylic is 1/4".

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 123

CanuckSigns

Here's a basic comp of what I'm working on. It's going to measure 5 ft x 3 ft. I think I'm going to use acrylic for the main panel instead of ACM, and apply printed vinyl second surface. What thickness of acrylic should I be looking at? Cast or extruded, what's the difference? It needs to support a number of smaller acrylic plaques with standoffs, as shown. The blue lake will also be acrylic, fastened to the main panel.

I would use something like 0.5" thick black pvc for the backerpanel to give it some depth, possibly champfer the edges when cutting it.

gnubler

Back to this beast of a project, it's driving me to drink. Decided to go with all acrylic, 1/2" thick cast for the main panel. I'm working on the cut path file, sending it out to be CNC cut (thanks, Boudica!). I have all the standoff screw holes included in my cut file for all the plaques that will be mounted to the panel. As far as mounting of the entire piece onto the wall I was planning on a standoff in each corner and hanging it with a French cleat on the back so we hit a wall stud for extra support. If the cleat is screwed to the back, do I include those holes in my cut file also? How do I know where to space those holes without having the cleat in my presence yet?

Boudica

Cant you just put stand offs in the middle top and bottom, as well as the corners?

gnubler

Indeed I can. I'm thinking that would be easier than trying to figure out a barrel length of standoff to accommodate a cleat on the back of the panel.

Boudica

I think adding a couple more standoffs would look much better - cleaner as well as easier to do. :)
That cleat is going to be ugly, and look like an afterthought.

gnubler

How do I fasten the standoff barrel to the acrylic panel? Will the mounting screw pass all the way through with a nut on the back, or what? Holes are being CNC routed.

Boudica

How do I fasten the standoff barrel to the acrylic panel? Will the mounting screw pass all the way through with a nut on the back, or what? Holes are being CNC routed.
There is one part that will go into the wall, then the acrylic on top of that, then the front part of the stand off goes through the hole, and screws into the part on the wall.

gnubler

I found all the components at MBS Standoffs online: threaded barrel fastened with a machine screw going through the back of the panel. All the plaques will be mounted to the panel only.

I need some fairly heavy duty standoffs to mount the entire panel onto the wall. Any suggestions as far as diameter goes? Should I try to figure the overall weight and find standoffs to support that? The logistics of this is just neverending...

Boudica

determining the weight/load and finding a suitable stand off to support that would be a good place to start. They have many flavors, so you have a lot of options.
When you say "plaques are mounted to the panel"... I'm now a bit confused. Your not mounting the plaques to the wall? What is the "panel"

gnubler

You're lucky you're only just now confused...I've been that way my entire life.

Similar to the YMCA donor board in the first post, I'll be mounting plaques to the panel (the main backer), and mounting the backer to the wall. The whole thing, backer and plaques, are acrylic.

Johnny Best

I think 1/2” thick is to heavy. Green edge acrylic with polished edges. 3/8” if you can find it but 1/4” would be my choice for the backplate and also for the smaller pieces on the front. It is easy to drill holes in acrylic and you can purchase drill bits that are made to accomplish that. Make sure your holes are a little bigger for your standoffs so you don’t have a tight fit that could cause breakage.