• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material suggestions for donor recognition display

gnubler

I think 1/2” thick is to heavy. Green edge acrylic with polished edges. 3/8” if you can find it but 1/4” would be my choice for the backplate and also for the smaller pieces on the front.

Really? The display measures 3 ft wide by 5 ft tall and needs to support around 35 plaques with standoffs. As it is I've calculated it'll weight around 90 lbs with everything installed. I figured a thinner panel would potentially bow. I'm having the whole thing CNC routed, including all the mounting holes. I can't be trusted using power tools to this degree.

Johnny Best

Really? You can't be trusted with power tools but your going to install a thick piece of acrylic with 35 plaques weighing close to 100lbs on a wall with standoffs in four corners. Go for it and hope it looks good and pays well for you.

gnubler

Your attitude isn't helpful. I'm here for information and advice, not sarcastic insults. This project was awarded to me as a new business and I accepted it, mostly for the experience. Trying to make the best of it.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I would use 1" x 1" standoffs, one in each corner and one centered at the top and one centered at the bottom (6 total). 1/4" acrylic for your backer panel will be fine. The standoffs will keep it from bowing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
WOW, just wow. It's a shame how pitiful people take information, especially when they know nothing..... and admittedly have no clue as to what they're doing. The layout/design is one thing, but the total lack of any idea of what you're doing is astonishing. You only want the advice you want and will put the rest down with shame. How does one advance in this world with such a closed minded attitude ??

We did one a while back that was 4' x 8' and used 6 standoffs in all. We were gonna put one dead center, but it didn't need it. 6mm and not even the slightest warp. Just happened to be there 2 weeks ago and it still looks flat and holding up swimmingly.

Now, don't do as we say, because experience doesn't mean a thing, when you have your blinders on. Quite honestly, I'd work on that layout some more, too. :eek:

gnubler

How does one advance in this world with such a closed minded attitude ??
By asking questions to the all-knowing Sign Gods and using the advice, that's how. The display turned out really nice and the customer is thrilled. Thanks to all who chimed in on this thread, including the total dicks, and especially the two members who took the time to speak with me privately and helped me get all the right components together. Here's a few shots of the finished piece, installed without issue. I went with 3/8" acrylic for the main panel, total weight was under 50 lbs. Feel free to ask any questions about the specs and what you may have done differently.

img02.jpg

img01.jpg

img03.jpg