Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Max Metal question

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by DKgrafix, Feb 18, 2014.

1. DKgrafix

DKgrafix Very Active Member

I have a customer that needs a 8x4 dry erase board for scheduling.
    I'm looking into a Max Metal board (white).

Will that work? Did someone try to use dry erase markers on them?
    Would it help if I apply a layer of vinyl or just to laminate it?

Thanks in advance

Tags:
  2. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

I would suggest coating it with dry erase film. As others have told me, regular gloss vinyl might work, but may not erase well if it's written on it for too long. We got a really nice sample of some of this film made by Aslan. I'm not sure where you can purchase it though.

3. Dovette

Dovette Member

Dec 21, 2012
    I wouldn't recommend it. I had a customer a while back that tried that method--the marker never came off.

I'd go with JSmoritz on this one--get some dry erase film. FDC has a promo dry erase film that might work. It's the 4305 series, calendered vinyl, 4 mil thick. FDC operates out of South Bend, IN, so it would only take a couple of days to get the product to you. N. Glantz is a distributor for FDC, so they could easily help ya out. I think the number is 513-297-1616...? Or google works, too. :)

If you've got any more questions, feel free to message me.

4. cmykpro

cmykpro Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Max metal laminated with scribe (dry erase) laminate works perfectly.

5. MPW270

MPW270 New Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Many dry erase vinyl and/or laminates are not designed for long term or heavy duty usage. Check the specs, most are 6 month films.

Keep this in mind so the customer is not upset after just a few months of usage when the film starts to tunnel from repeated erasing in the same area.

6. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

Not sure about the films, but max metal doesn't work for dry erase very well.

I have used .040 aluminum with a white polyester coating (I think this is pretty standard) and that worked a little better.

7. DKgrafix

DKgrafix Very Active Member

If someone saw a post about selling 15 feet of it, I believe I have everything taken care of.

Thanks for your help :signs101:

8. BlueFishDesigns

BlueFishDesigns Very Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    Instead of dry erase, what about painting a board with chalkboard paint? Or just buying a big chalkboard? Might be too messy, I guess. Just a thought.

9. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Melemean (sp) showerboard from home depot works great without laminating it. Other than that use dry erase laminate on MAx-Metal

10. ddubia

ddubia Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Northeast Ohio
    I have used white masonite with good success. Marker left on for weeks and weeks will need an alcohol clean up but it does clean easily.

11. klemgraphics

klemgraphics Active Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Midwest
    I would use a scotch brite to scuff it and put a couple coats of automotive urethane clear on it. I do it all the time and have not had a single complaint yet.