• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Max Metal question

Dennis422

I have a customer that needs a 8x4 dry erase board for scheduling.
I'm looking into a Max Metal board (white).

Will that work? Did someone try to use dry erase markers on them?
Would it help if I apply a layer of vinyl or just to laminate it?

Thanks in advance

I would suggest coating it with dry erase film. As others have told me, regular gloss vinyl might work, but may not erase well if it's written on it for too long. We got a really nice sample of some of this film made by Aslan. I'm not sure where you can purchase it though.

Dovette

I wouldn't recommend it. I had a customer a while back that tried that method--the marker never came off.

I'd go with JSmoritz on this one--get some dry erase film. FDC has a promo dry erase film that might work. It's the 4305 series, calendered vinyl, 4 mil thick. FDC operates out of South Bend, IN, so it would only take a couple of days to get the product to you. N. Glantz is a distributor for FDC, so they could easily help ya out. I think the number is 513-297-1616...? Or google works, too. :)

If you've got any more questions, feel free to message me.

MPW270

Many dry erase vinyl and/or laminates are not designed for long term or heavy duty usage. Check the specs, most are 6 month films.

Keep this in mind so the customer is not upset after just a few months of usage when the film starts to tunnel from repeated erasing in the same area.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Not sure about the films, but max metal doesn't work for dry erase very well.

I have used .040 aluminum with a white polyester coating (I think this is pretty standard) and that worked a little better.

Dennis422

If someone saw a post about selling 15 feet of it, I believe I have everything taken care of.

Thanks for your help :signs101:

GoodPeopleFlags

Instead of dry erase, what about painting a board with chalkboard paint? Or just buying a big chalkboard? Might be too messy, I guess. Just a thought.

Mosh

Melemean (sp) showerboard from home depot works great without laminating it. Other than that use dry erase laminate on MAx-Metal

ddubia

I have used white masonite with good success. Marker left on for weeks and weeks will need an alcohol clean up but it does clean easily.

klemgraphics

I would use a scotch brite to scuff it and put a couple coats of automotive urethane clear on it. I do it all the time and have not had a single complaint yet.