• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Merging Variable Data in Illlustrator

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
The example posted above shows a single layout container to hold imported art from a graphics app (may hold cutContour, etc.), and another single text field for the numbers which come from automatically-generated serials when each record (sign) is called for. (Holding down CMD>”New” keys for 5~6 seconds to create 210 qty.)

The setup required about 15 minutes and ripped to 48x96 inches faster than one could say “portable document format.”

Val47

I'd do them in SignLab and output to the format you needed.

JB
I truly appreciate the offer. but like I said, I need to be able to pop these out myself. This filemaker thing looks promising.

I really need to take a set of like 1K various storage unit numbers, and get them laid out to fit the cut pattern layout. Without typing out thousands of numbers, in 210 boxes on 5 sheets. :D

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
4 x 8 sheet with no spacing between. Approx. 5 seconds for the data merge.

I typed "1" in Excel, then did a function of 1+1 in the cell below. Then I copied and pasted to cell 256, and boom...it instantly gave me every number in sequence. I copied and pasted it to a text file and merged the text file in SL. Seriously...it only took about 5 seconds to populate.

All said, about 3 minutes to do what you see here from scratch.

JB
S101.jpg

Val47

oh oh, FileMaker vs Signlab.

I'm listening..... My boss isn't adverse to new software. This is a big project. If I can make is seemless to create my production files.. it would be worth it.

James Burke

Have you tried merging a .txt file instead of a CSV or tab delimited file? I usually run into issues with anything other than a text file.

JB

Val47

I have not. Hadn't thought of it. Thanks - worth trying. I'm up for anything... I couldn't go to work today because it's too cold and my car wouldn't start. At least I can figure this conundrum out. it might make up for not getting to work today. lol.

Val47

ok. txt is no faster than the csv. I may have memory issues - my computer at work is a lot faster than my home pc (and newer). In any case... It still looks like filemaker might be a good answer, because it solves the next step in my process. SIgn lab looks like a RIP? I'm just now looking at both of them, and i'm not at all familiar with signlab. or filemaker for that matter, but filemaker has a free trial. I cannot see how much it costs though.

signage

SignLab is a rip but a good one at that,might want to look into it for some of its features. Check out up grading price might not be too bad, you may find that you like it and use it for other jobs.

Val47

mmm, design-type software would be one thing. New RIP - nah. We already have Versaworks for the Rolands, and we had to get Onyx for the HP and that was helpful when we added the epson. I've already got VW on two computers, VW Dual on one, Onyx on one.

we are looking into an Agfa to replace the HP, which will be a whole new RIP. I'm very adept at learning new RIPS... but I don't think I can talk the bossman into a new RIP just for this project. Onnacounta - we will (in the somewhat near future) be getting/learning yet another new RIP.

At one point I had all of our machines in Onyx... I don't use it for the Rolands as I can't seem to nail down certain profiling, and the cutting features. just ran into issues I didn't have time to deal with - so I am the workaround queen when I need to. but I want solid practices I may have to train someone my nonsense someday :)

James Burke

You can go with the cut version only for less money, but not if you plan to print from it. The cut-only version will still auto merge (the function is called "badges").

I believe SL also has a free trial. I've been using it 16 years and have never had an issue with it.

JB

Val47

You can go with the cut version only for less money, but not if you plan to print from it. The cut-only version will still auto merge (the function is called "badges").

I believe SL also has a free trial. I've been using it 16 years and have never had an issue with it.

JB
I'm not going to be doing the cutting, just the printing... and then sending the a cut file to someone else. We don't actually have the CNC capacity in-house. We work with a business close by, who does only CNC. We have a great relationship, so its easy - as long as I can create print files for me to print, and a cut file to match - to send to them. I've got a system that works really well. Right now, I need to create a layout consisting of a lot of different, yet specific numbering system, that I can print to a sheet with our HP Scitex550 (onyx rip). that print file has to have registrations marks that will be the same marks in the cut file I send to American CNC. - yah, I'll name them by name, they are awesome. :)

ikarasu

If it's a one off job Id say illustrator isn't worth it. Setting up that many variables for 5 sheets...

But if it's an ongoing thing, use Illy. The initial setup of hundreds of variables may take you an Hour or two...but importing the csv file and exporting to pdf or.eps will take minutes, if not seconds for this and all future jobs.

I know you want to learn it yourself. But if you post your illustrator file you already have, it won't take long to create your template... Then you use your template yourself to import your Excell files.

It's super easy.... But tbh, learning to do it from scratch is 100x harder than taking someone's already setup file, see how it's setup and understanding it from there and using that file to learn how to make your own.

We do license plates this way. In our province off road vehicles need reflectice decals - we do 10,000 every 3 months - spent an hour to setup the file... Then the excel file takes us a minute to modify every 3 months, and it takes 5 minutes to export 900 ft of vinyl printing.

For some one off stuff Indesign might be better. But if it's the same design/layout and just the data is variable... Illustrator works perfectly.

I highly suggest posting, or messaging the excel data + your illustrator layout here... With all the scripts i use for variable naming/importing it'd take 5 mins to do a template setup for you... Then you can dissect it and see how it's built and tweak it. Or use it to start from scratch to optomize your setup. That way you can see if it works the way you like before fully learning how to do it yourself.

Much better than banging your head against the wall going from software to software.... There's been what, 5 recommendations on here so far on what to use? Use what you know and ate comfortable with, which seems to be Illy!

[Edit] or if you'd like,I can send you our license plate file (with the graphics removed), you can see.how it's setup and use the same concept for your file. We have a cnc version with fiducials and everything...should be similar to your setup.

Val47

I don't have access to my "real" files until monday. I was creating test files to figure it all out here at home. couldn't go to work today... yadda yadda yadda. I'll take you up on this, Monday :)
(as Boudica)

ikarasu

I'll post our illustrator and csv file tomorrow so you can play with it and get an understanding of the setup. I think we export 100 at a time.... And it takes about 5 mins to cycle through and make 100 files for printing. Should only take 10-30 seconds to export yours once you have a csv setup!

ikarasu

I understand the OP would like 5 qty files for flatbed printing and not 1032 individual files.
Yup, which is doable. We do 100 up (roughly) as thats what fits on a 4x8, and 5000 at a time... So it export 50 4x8 setups. with illustrator you can do thousands of variables per setup if you want... I think the more variables per dataset the slower the import is, but we've done 1000 variables at a time and it was still pretty quick. So it might take a minute to load the 5 datasets with 200 variables, but then only a few seconds to export them since its all text.

We should have a tutorial section on here where people can post sample files to learn on...Illy gets a lot of hate for variables for some reason, but I find it one of the most robust tools for it.... Ever since the 2020 update that officially added variables, it's super simple to do as well.

Val47

So, you export 100 individual files? Then place them up on a 4x8?
and what I need to do, is export a nice grid of 210 with 1032 numbers witch works out to 5 sheets, pages, documents. what have you.
.., to place in a document(s) to fit one document for a cut file.

ikarasu

Nope. I export 100 variables onto 1 4x8 setup. Every # on here is a variable.... there's 75 plates, so I guess technically I export 1000 variables, 75 at a time (not 100 for this file) into 13 full sized 4x8 that are print/CNC ready. Pretty much exactly what OP wants to do, except instead of 75 he has 220ish variables per sheet.

upload_2021-2-12_22-24-39.png

Val47

who knew this would be so complicated?! I (am not an idiot) have been working on this for about 4 days. I've consulted my go-to experts. I have a network of peers to ask, and this forum... this is possible. I will figure it out... with a little (LOT) of help from my friends and peers. it HAS to be possible.