• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mesh banners tearing in wind

Borge

050.jpg

aerial

QCB
Like people said before why would you put windslits in mesh banner.

We had issues scrim 13oz banner on fence and this was before mesh banner was a thing. And Ultraflexx send us this

“Wind Slits: Most banner materials are made of an inner scrim constructed of polyester fiber which gives the PVC film strength. The moment a banner is cut, the banner material is weakened. The reduction in wind resistance is minimal but the damage caused to the vinyl material is extensive. Wind slits can reduce wind resistance of a banner by 3%. If the size of the banner could be reduced by 3% the same reduction of wind resistance would be achieved without compromising the integrity of the banner. Consider utilizing mesh banner for enhanced air-flow to achieve up to 70% air-flow through.”

Once you put a wind slit you voiding the warranty completely

aerial

QCB
Borge, you're a night owl! Seems the bungees are controversial. Wouldn't the the stretching allow the banner to billow, catching even more wind? Have you tried them? One school is insisting we use carabiners.

Borge

Borge, you're a night owl! Seems the bungees are controversial. Wouldn't the the stretching allow the banner to billow, catching even more wind? Have you tried them? One school is insisting we use carabiners.
Hi.
Live in Norway so my morning is your night?
We use bungees with Mesh banner.
-But a banner is only a banner...!

Superior_Adam

I always tell people that mesh banners need to have webbing in the seams to be able to last. In house we stitch them in but depending on if we order them in for size or quantity they heat weld them in. Taping a seam on a mesh banner is not going to last long you need the extra support.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm not sure what is on these banners but if it's something more long term give them some ACM pricing just for kicks. Paying you to go out there and fix all this stuff is costing them more than if they had just went with ACM in the beginning.

For our high school I made a ton of "senior banners" only 2x4 and only up for the sport season. They all held up very well using zipties on a chainlink fence. After the season they give the kids the banners. Banners are just temporary, what the school is expecting is quite a lot.

unclebun

The real problem is that they are trying to use temporary promotional banners as a tennis court windscreen. If they want durability along with a printed message on their windscreens, they need to be using the right product. https://allcourtfabrics.com/product/tennis-windscreens/

It will cost more, but the material, construction, and installation method is the same as the non-printed tennis windscreens that have been used for decades.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Bungee cords: some above have scorned the idea, but in the right place they can be an asset.
We used to make pole banners for local towns. There's a big light pole with 2 two-foot long arms coming off 14 feet up, 5 or 6 feet vertically apart, and a plate welded on the end.
A 2 ft x 5 or 6 ft vertical pole banner with a pocket/socket/tube (call it what you wish, a wide hollow hem or seam) is slipped over the top arm, and over the bottom arm.
Because of the way the arms have the end plate, you need slack to get the banners on.
Once 'installed,' they flop back and forth, hinging on the top one, and stressing the bottom one in breezes, until the bottom one disintegrates, or the joining seam gives out.

Putting an eyelet above the bottom, and a bungee strap like used on pickup tonneau covers, tightens the banner, and removes the impact from the changing breezes action on the whole thing. The Bungee gives gently, and resists the 'attack'.
The top is a solid fix, the bungee just removes the overall slop and allows some play in the bottom edge.

It works for us.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Different use, but I am not too keen on bungee cords. A long time ago my brother and I were unloading a trailer at the race track. He went to get the tent pipes loose and the bungee cord slipped - it shot out and around the bundle of pipes and the metal hook caught him right on the outside of his eye. A little closer to his nose and he'd be the one eye'd motocross racer. At least ratchet straps don't try to take you out when you want them to relax.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
I too, had one let go when I was a teenager, and fly across the back of the ute (pickup) and clobber me in the forehead like a golf ball.
But there is quality and there is trash.
I'm not talking about using the Five-for-$2 chinese specials that wouldnlt hold a pair of socks up in a line dancing competition, but the UV stable exterior ones made for attaching tonneau covers to the back of vehicles. They last years, in the weather, and are still elastic.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I too, had one let go when I was a teenager, and fly across the back of the ute (pickup) and clobber me in the forehead like a golf ball.
But there is quality and there is trash.
I'm not talking about using the Five-for-$2 chinese specials that wouldnlt hold a pair of socks up in a line dancing competition, but the UV stable exterior ones made for attaching tonneau covers to the back of vehicles. They last years, in the weather, and are still elastic.
I have a ute! It's an 80's El Camino. Need to get some new brakes on it so I can start driving it.

FASTSIGNS

We had a similar issue. At a school pool in Florida and the wind for some reason was just relentless. We ended up using a sacraficial banner behind each banner. (I'm pretty sure we uesd some old sample cheap material). That plain white banner took all the "vibration" of the wind on the fence. The full color banner on the front lasted for years!

d fleming

If someone told me to slice up a mesh banner period I would walk. You are the professional, they know nothing about it other than what they want right or wrong.

DAVID MARSHALL

You need two banners. The front one sewn with Keder and mounted to the fence with sailtrack. The second banner is just plain vinyl but it just gets ziptied to the reverse side of the fence behind the first banner. Wind slits or holes do nothing except create weak points.