• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Micro Business Looking to Expand into Print

LeLuni

Great choice to sub this out for a bit first. Let me ask you, I read your FAQ page that says you use light weight laser cut 3/16" birch veneer core plywood that has been conditioned, sanded, and hand-dyed. Does that mean that the designs are purchased already cut? For example the “Baby Bunny in Light Blue"Do you purchase the Bunny shape pre-cut and do the color yourself, or do you have a laser cutter and cut the designs yourself?

I really like the clocks I actually may order some for Christmas presents this year for the little ones in my family!! :clapping:

Hi there,

Thanks for writing.

I'm actually outsourcing the cutting part and then doing the finishing myself. I have a contact in Pittsburgh who sources the birch veneer core plywood and does the laser cutting. I design the clocks in Adobe Illustrator, lay multiples out on 32" x 24" grids (the size of his machine), and then send him the .svg file(s). The finishing and dyeing part took some time to perfect, but I've got it down now.

I've priced out both buying and making a laser cutter myself. I'd really love the upsell option to add names or make them customizable in other ways, but I end up with the same question as above: how much of the 'work' do I really want to take on, and is it worth it? I'm still debating that one... stay tuned :)

Let me know if you have any other questions - I'm always happy to talk about what we do!

John

LeLuni

Wow...how about making children's names (or other items) in wood to coordinate with the clocks...and perhaps even the wall graphics?

You could establish multi-tiered package offerings from something basic to downright awe inspiring...all in a simple, easy-to-do kit. I think prospective parents might jump on it.

JB

I love this idea. I currently can't make money by selling one-off designs in laser cut wood (a child's name, for example) because the cutting is currently outsourced in bulk (well, if 30 at a time can be considered 'bulk'), but I'm mulling making or purchasing my own laser cutter.

Thanks again,
John

LeLuni

Signs 365 is out of Michigan and Arizona....makes no difference if you can have them UPS it to you in two or so days. They also drop ship.

JB

I checked this out - thank you!

Does anyone know any similar direct-to-the-trade wholesale printer that is able to work in dye cut Phototex specifically? I'll send an inquiry to Signs 365, but I didn't see Phototex on the public areas of their site.

Thanks,
John @ LeLuni

iprint

General Formulations makes a product called GraphTex that is very similar to Photo-Tex. It has a little bit more of a gloss finish than Photo-Tex and is a bit cheaper from my experience. Both print nice on my Arizona.