• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Microsoft Access... anyone using it?

iSign

thanks guys... this is interesting stuff.

I like it when I know I don't know something... because I'd be feeling pretty dumb right now if I had thought I already understood a database.. (AND I'd bet the helpful crew here would include a few folks helping make sure I'd feel dumb)

...so, now that jiarby mentioned "contact management" ...I remember Jon using that term in some of our discussions.

I will look into the "ready made Access solution from a 3rd prty vendor" idea!
(yes, it appears that my needs fall below the "hippie with long beard" level benchmark :wink: ...which is a good thing, because I'd hate to pay for one, when I wuz one once)

Another program that I already have that I'd be curious if others are using, is Quickbooks "Customer Manager"

So, part of the "development" of a database, and the resulting fiunctionality that I think I'm beginning to grasp in this thread makes it seem similar to another whole world of computing that I don't understand: spreadsheets, or specifically Excel, (because my exposure is limited to that)

I say similar in the sense that there may be fields, that are filled in with "data" ...such as names, phone numbers, email addys... and there may be long columns of these fields...

BUT it now seems as though the power in the possibilities of the programs ability to make use of that data... is in the way each field has been programed with behind the scenes potential... like for (a real basic) example, if purchasing history is somehow maintained going forward, I could segment all my products and services into the 5 most common segments, plus a sixth "others" category. Then I could access an email or snail mailing list of only those who purchase architectural signage... and I could see how much they've spent total, what percentage of my total sales in that category they represent, what percentage of their total purchases were in that category...

...or I could take the same 5 or 6 subsets, lump them all back into one, then subdivide by region & look at where my best customers reside, so if I want to do mailing of specific product specials to a larger list outside my existing client list... I could target an upper middle class region known for vehicle graphic purchases with the right promotion, while I might send banner specials to some older less affluent regions.

Those examples were just attempts to identify my gradually expanding perception of what a well designed database might be capable of. They are not really examples of what I think I would ever do.

For now, my intentions are very far below what a database seems to be for, but as Jiarby encountered in his tech support days, I wouldn't want to spend time and money getting 500 clients contact info entered in a manner, & location just barely suitable for todays needs... only to find out next year that there would be some great idea I could persue with that data... if only it had been entered differently.

I did buy Access yesterday, but it was only slightly more expensive to buy the full M$ Office suite that includes that program. I had never bought Office before. I received some bundled versions with some computers, & figured I'd need to own some of that crap someday. Well, the day came to own Outlook and Excel (but that's another thread) ...so I bought the suite that includes Access as well.

I will look closer at File Maker Pro too... I recently ordered a trial version & requested the CD version instead of the download, because while it may only be good for 60 days... it didn't start the day I stumbled on the offer... it will start the day I'm really ready to load it & have a look around... like today maybe :rolleyes:

iSign

Wow... more posts while I was typing.
Thanks for your input Bogie. I will have the full version of Outlook, when my new Office suite arrives next week, so I will look into their contact management stuff. I also followed your download.com link for some interesting options.

Access is an excellent choice, especially if you are going to do mass mailing. Once you have set up your database and populate it with addresses, you can export your address list to a CSV file and then create a "shell" letter in Word to do a mail merge with your address.

If you need help, contact me ... this is my area of expertise.

Thanks Glyph.
I just did a search on CSV (comma separated values) files... and now my head hurts :rolleyes:

One thing I love about this bulletin board, & the concept of boards in general... I know it will be a somewhat long road from today's tip-of-the-iceberg understanding, up to the day where I have done enough research to better know how much I don't know... AND to know what I think I want to know... So, there will be a time when I am better able to benefit from asking you for a little more information, & I will always know how to get back to this thread to lead me to asking you. So thanks for the offer, & although it may not be this week, or even this month, there is a good chance I will take you up on that offer.

GB2

Old Member
Don't let the CSV reference give you a headache...it's simply one of many forms of data that can be exported from a database for use in other software. You can exchange your data for use in Word mail merges, importing into excel spreadsheets, import into Outlook contact files, etc.

iSign

...my former employer was trying to find a way to take the information originally developed in Access and convert it to SQL.

Brian,
while searching for some Access templates, like Jiarby suggested... I ran across something like what your former employer may need. I'm not sure if you're still in touch, of if the above quoted comment may be real old news... but in case it's helpful to anyone, here is a link to a shareware program that makes the following claims:

MDB2SQL automates Microsoft SQL Server support for Microsoft Access-based applications without the need to rewrite your existing code. MDB2SQL can quickly and cost-effectively convert your Access (.mdb) databases to use SQL Server – without changing or writing a single line of code, or relying on cumbersome third-party data migration tools and database drivers.

http://www.programurl.com/mdb2sql-enterprise.htm

iSign

Chris,
So I presume when someone buys your program, they don't need to own Access. And similarily, if I would need some programing up front to get the functionailty I require out of building a database... if I paid someone to set it up... just like your clients don't need the original creation program, I might not need it in that scenario either?

Not that I think I would be able to find someone to do my programming (although I guess it's a possibility) but more a question to continue getting a better understanding of everything related to this new area of interest to me.

Since I did already order the M$ Office Professional suite, I will play around with Access, even while being open to the Filemaker Pro option, as well as others...

Would you have any 3rd party suggestions for my purposes, based on your own experiences?

Techman

you should have enuf templates in access to get you a really good a start wiht it..

All can be easily adjusted to work with your needs. to get your data there are even more wizards ready to get you just about any data you can think of.

Those of us ewho work with access know this software as a really adeuate solution to about 90 % of al our needs.

Then. there are hundreds fo FREE ass ons around teh net to get you even more functions..

GK

There's nothing wrong with Access for your purposes but I have to agree that Filemaker is the best application out there. I've used it for 20 years now and wouldn't use anything else.

It is very visual as compared to Access which will have you wondering where to start and how to make it look like what you want it to look like. Filemaker has a very short learning curve and most graphics people will have an easy time getting comfortable with it.

not to mention its cross-platform =P. and yes before someone says just run Parallels and you wont have a problem...we all know you can do this, but for those who dont feel like running a virtual machine on their computer...this software is great.

ChiknNutz

Chris,
So I presume when someone buys your program, they don't need to own Access. And similarily, if I would need some programing up front to get the functionailty I require out of building a database... if I paid someone to set it up... just like your clients don't need the original creation program, I might not need it in that scenario either?

Not that I think I would be able to find someone to do my programming (although I guess it's a possibility) but more a question to continue getting a better understanding of everything related to this new area of interest to me.

Since I did already order the M$ Office Professional suite, I will play around with Access, even while being open to the Filemaker Pro option, as well as others...

Would you have any 3rd party suggestions for my purposes, based on your own experiences?

Correct, I have purchased the rights to distribute a run-time version of Access, negating the need for a user of my software to need Access. Further, I strip out the ability for the user to get into the guts of it...kind of like compiled code.

Really depends on the level of complexity you plan on building into it, but there are lots of developers willing to build DBs for folks. There is one forum I frequent that may help you...www.UtterAccess.com.

jiarby

Filemaker & Access have developer "SDK" packages. "Solution Developer Kits" that allow folks to develop their applications and bundle them with an "engine only" version of the database. This is very common for things like medical & dental office management applications.

It seems like every customer's situation is just different enough that everyone thinks they need a custom solution rather than a "ready-made" product.

Don't let the database keep you off your primary mission. You don't raise horses so you can make your own brushes, or mill your own trees to make MDO. Let the database weenies do what they do best so you can keep doing what you do.

iSign

thanks for the link Chris.

Jiarby, I agree that too much investment in database development was never, & will never be part of my mission.

I'm learning a lot here & seeing the entire lay of the land helps me map my course, even if my course remains a short straight line that never covers 90% of the DB terrain.