• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki and film positives

elfitzhugh

Does anyone know if a Mimaki JV33-160 solvent printer will print a film positive to burn a big screen?
If it can, where would I buy the film to take the solvent ink?
Thanks

thewood

For a couple of our clients, I print black on clear vinyl and mount it to clear plastic. We've even applied the clear prints directly to the screen in-house.

I crank the inks up and print at 720x720 16 pass.

We're using a JV3.

Dice

I suppose you could use white to increase density.

Things to know about white in a jv33.

- Will slow your printer to half speed if your using CMYKx2
- Use Raster link, all other rips suck at white printing not enough control
- You need to print a lot, other wise your wasting white
- You need to print every day or you'll have clogging problems.
- Has issues with 3rd party, have you use OEM inks
- Only Mimaki sells white, no third party white that i'm aware of.
- Costs 2x more than a standard cartridge
- Only comes in 220's

White is a pain in the ass but it can work.

petepaz

we have rolands and fortunately haven't had time to test it yet but i think the solvent or eco sol are not opaque enough although my vendors tell me people are doing it
i also just got a new clear film hyrosol glass clear it's called i get it from D & P media
and they told me people are using this film on the solvent printers to burn screens
again just haven't had a chance to test it yet but i have used it for other purposes and the film prints great
i will post something when i get a chance to try it out

artbot

used to do film positives with my fj50. i'd run the prints at the highest resolution with a double print (overprint). helps to slow the head carriage speed way down. you need to get a maximum dry time between passes. but of course that was water based on film. your best bet for quick drying clear is probably a .010 polycarbonate. although it should be added that polycarb does block uv rays slightly.

Robert M

Screen

I have a customer using an Epson film in a Mutoh with good results. Send me an email and I will get you pricing

gaterspit

intellicoat technologies SCF-7. Fellers special orders it. On a roll 30" wide. I developed 4 305's an a 110 underbase and printed out and they were great. The passion of screen printing, always riggin'.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We use a Ulano product on an epson 7880 Pro. Works GREAT with Accurip to increase the black output.

MikePro

i've always debated trying something like this with the photopolymer process for our ADA signage, as rubylith is a PITA to weed.