• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mimaki JFX200

ludwig

Hightec in Print
It is 3 weeks now that our Mimaki JFX200 stopped printing in the middle of a Job. There was an error message ERROR 187 - HDC SLEW Rate [1]. We switched off the printer and ON again. Another error showed up. SYSTEM HALT (1) 181 PCB H21.
We called Mimaki and they sent a technician. He exchanged the PCB Board. The error message SYSTEM HALT (1) 181 PCB H21 continued. We checked the Optical cables. Error continues. We xchanged the main PCB and the error continues. We started up the printer with just one head and the message stopped. We thought that we had found the solution, ordered a printhead, xchanged the one we thought was bad. Error SYSTEM HALT (1) 181 PCB H21 is still there.
I think that the Mimaki technician is lost.
Anibody can help?

Last edited:

APCInk

Merchant Member
Hi Ludwig,

When you say "We checked the Optical Cables", do you mean that you actually swapped the fiber-optic cable out for a new one, or just visually inspected it for damage? While JFX200s are generally very reliable, as the earlier machines age we've seen increasing errors like these ones that we've often resolved by putting in a new Optical Cable. Keep in mind that even a "good" cable can cause this error if it's not installed correctly - because it's transmitting light, if the bend-radius of the cable is too tight, the light won't actually be able to travel around the bend and you'll get an error. You could also have a break in the cable that you won't see until you take it totally out of the machine.

Hope this helps.

ludwig

Hightec in Print
Hi,
The Mimaki tech says there is no need to change the optical cable. He tested it with a light source on one site and the light come out on the other site.

APCInk

Merchant Member
Hi Ludwig,

What we have seen in our experience is this problem is intermittent based on where the break in the optical cable is. As the head travels and the cable bends the cable breaks. When the cable isn't in this position it will function as normal. You would need to check the light source across the entire table width.

What version of firmware is this machine at? I just realize that you said the HDC board was replaced as well.

Hopefully this helps!
Brian

Last edited:

netsol

Premium Subscriber
ludwig apcink is correct, there is more to testing a fiberoptic cable than seeing "light come out the other end". we use fiber optics in networking and keep a whole set of elaborate testers.

the fibre is a tiny glass tube, a bend too sharp (improper lead dress) can cause a problem that can be corrected, but if the glass tube (as fragile as your grandmother's christmas ornaments) is damaged the data is corrupted when decoding happens at the far end

i have no mimaki experience, but know that is not a valid test of the fiber for that type of problem

ludwig

Hightec in Print
Mimaki sent me a list of parts I need to buy in advance. After that they will start the repair.
MP-E108334
MP-M523624
MP-M523231
MP-E108337
MP-AYG4V1F06HW1
MP-E108547
MP-E109890
Can you quote these parts for me? Are they availlable?

L.D

This is an optical cable issue for sure. If you have the older version you’ll need to get the newer one with the conversion kit.

ludwig

Hightec in Print
Thank you very much. All of you. I ordered the optical cable. But what do you mean by the conversion kit?

chromira

I hope this works. This is the very same error that ended our machines life. There were so many possibilities that the parts list soared to over $10k with no guaranty that those would fix the problem. We lost a board but they weren't sure what caused it. Mimaki suggested throwing the kitchen sink at it and hope. We called our insurance company and just got a new machine.

L.D

So the new optical cable is different then the old one so you would need the conversion kit.

E108334 - Optical conversion PCB
E108337 - Slider Relay PCB
AYG4V1F0HWH1 - Optical Fiber Code
M523231 - Holding plate
M523624 - Connector Plate

L.D

Here is a picture. The new version is the one in the plastic.

Attachments

• D5F9C972-D090-4F0E-B12E-E18DB28C6E3A.jpeg
    D5F9C972-D090-4F0E-B12E-E18DB28C6E3A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 725

ludwig

Hightec in Print
I hope this works. This is the very same error that ended our machines life. There were so many possibilities that the parts list soared to over $10k with no guaranty that those would fix the problem. We lost a board but they weren't sure what caused it. Mimaki suggested throwing the kitchen sink at it and hope. We called our insurance company and just got a new machine.
I am in this a month now. One tech says it is the PCB Board. We exchanged. The same error message. Another tech? You have to xchange the Main PCB. Done. Nothing worked. I think, I will talk to my insurance company, asking what they can do.
We cannot continue with this, somebody from Mimaki has to solve this problem.
How did you manage that the insurance company payed for a new machine?

L.D

For your error message I have outlined how to get ride of the error messages.

I don’t believe I mentioned anything about replacing the Main PCB.

ludwig

Hightec in Print
I am in this a month now. One tech says it is the PCB Board. We exchanged. The same error message. Another tech? You have to xchange the Main PCB. Done. Nothing worked.

L.D

System halt 181 PCB H21 means the printer is not seeing your HDC board. So in order to get that error to go away you have to replace the parts I outlined in my previous post. So if you haven’t done this yet then I don’t know what else to tell you.

I have seen this error many times on older JFX200 printers that use the older optical cable set up.

M523231 - Holding plate

ludwig

Hightec in Print
System halt 181 PCB H21 means the printer is not seeing your HDC board. So in order to get that error to go away you have to replace the parts I outlined in my previous post. So if you haven’t done this yet then I don’t know what else to tell you.

I have seen this error many times on older JFX200 printers that use the older optical cable set up.

M523231 - Holding plate
We xchanges all the parts and now appears Error 108. HD Thermis [12]

L.D

So that means it’s communicating with HDC board now. This error message means head temperatures cannot be measured.

1) Verify Optical connection by unplugging and re-seating cables from slider to HDC board.
2) make sure yellow switches on RX converter PCB are positioned the right way.
3) Test HDC for damage. Make sure LED’s 4,6,7,8 on the board are lit.

if 4,6,7 are lit but 8 is off then test resistance of the print heads for damage.

if 8 is lit but 4,6,7 are not then replace HDC board.

L.D

Ink leak sensor? There are two ink leak sensors one under the ink bottles Assy and one is in the ink supply pump box. If there was an ink leak and ink saturated the ink leak sensor you would have a system halt 637 error 00001 or 00002.

so your problems are highly unlikely to be a caused by a ink leak sensor. Unless you have ink leaking onto boards in the carriage somewhere.

ludwig

Hightec in Print
The Mimaki Tech worked here in the shop on the JFX200 the whole day. Xchanged all the boards, cables, fibers, print head. Hi loaded the latest fiNow appears a message: Ink temp -8. and the machine stops.