• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV33-160 Streaks on Prints with Dark Background

ff1to16

Hello everyone,

Newbie here. Been trying to solve this problem on my own with no luck. Hoping someone here could help me out.

Whenever I do prints with dark background, sometimes there are streaks on white areas right next to the background. This could be just outside of the print or on white text. I have attached a photo to show this.
It seems the streaks match the positions of the pinch rollers so I'm guessing they're the cause of this but I'm not sure what it is exactly.

I have tried lowering the temperature (which seem to help a little but does not completely solve the problem.), cleaning the pinch rollers but still get this in my prints.

Any help is appreciated (^^;)

PinchRoller_zps0ec22de0.jpg

Nate

Last edited by a moderator:

MikePro

you'd know if it was dirty pinch rollers if you can see the stain occuring during the print, as there is a sizeable gap between the rollers and where the printhead starts laying-down ink. ...and pinch rollers never really get dirty unless you know you screwed up somehow.

MikePro

what's your test print look like?
just spitballin', but I'd imagine that you've got some clogged/deflected nozzles and what you're getting is the overspray from ink not being fired straight-down at the material. static could be a potential culprit/accomplice here, as well.

worst-case, overspray is the first sign of a dying printhead.

ff1to16

what's your test print look like?
just spitballin', but I'd imagine that you've got some clogged/deflected nozzles and what you're getting is the overspray from ink not being fired straight-down at the material. static could be a potential culprit/accomplice here, as well.

worst-case, overspray is the first sign of a dying printhead.

Test print seems to be fine. Very few clogged nozzles. The thing is the streaks match the pinch rollers in width and positions which is what I'm assuming is the cause. I'm out of ideas to be honest. :(

ff1to16

Okay I just noticed there are streaks even away from the dark areas... and they match the pinch roller width and position. If this helps.

Attachments

• Pinch Roller 2.jpg
    Pinch Roller 2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 594

gregwallace

Try printing one strip of black on unidirectional. If you have marks on both sides of the strip then it is definitely not overspray. If you print a dark blue would the marks still be black or would they be cyan? If you move the print over half an inch do the marks move as well or do they stay inline with the pinch rollers.

Looks like static overspray to me

I used to get this every Winter on my Rolands when the humidity went down. A tech explained to me that without proper anti-static measures, the vinyl and printer get a charge (let's call it +). Then when the ink sprays out, some of the + mist is repelled from the + vinyl and floats about for a while. Where the pinch rollers touched may have become slightly - (from friction or?), attracting the mist to settle there, causing "airbrush effects". Also general overspray issues, banding, color variances, splotchy prints, etc etc

Things I would look for would be: has the humidity dropped lately? I like to keep our print room 72 degrees and 45% humidity, which in Midwestern Winter means a 5 gallon whole house humidifier for a 12' x 20' room. 35% or less and we start to see trouble. Do you have ant-static measures like tinsel cord? Do you let your material acclimate to your print room for 24+ hours from storage or delivery truck so temperature and humidity can stabilize? If you open your printer cover and wipe a finger around is there a dusty coating of ink (from mist droplets floating around and depositing themselves on inner surfaces)?

There are other possibilities but this seems likely.

Asuma01

IMO
It is for sure static. I live in a dry climate and have to contend with this year round.

Things that help.

Buy a humidifier. Even a small one right next to the printer will help.
Check out www.stopstatic.com and buy some of their cord.

Buy dryer sheets and give your printer a rubdown inside and out. It helps but isnt a permanent solution.

ff1to16

IMO
It is for sure static. I live in a dry climate and have to contend with this year round.

Things that help.

Buy a humidifier. Even a small one right next to the printer will help.
Check out www.stopstatic.com and buy some of their cord.

Buy dryer sheets and give your printer a rubdown inside and out. It helps but isnt a permanent solution.

Thanks for all of your responses. I think I will invest in an anti-static kit. Does anyone know any good ones that they recommend? I will also search and see. Thanks again.

Edit: sorry missed the link you posted. Thanks.

ff1to16

Okay so I bought some magnets and anti-static string. The magnets seem to be super strong. I'm wondering if it's safe to have it near the machine? As in will the strong magnets damage the circuit board in anyway? Thanks in advance.

ff1to16

No luck

Okay, after installing anti-static, basically just an anti-static string on top of the media. I'm still getting marks on my prints :(

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 555

ff1to16

Did the anti static help at all? I'm out of suggestions!

I have only done a few prints so far but I'm going to say it doesn't seem to help with the problem but it's still good to have anti-static. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the rollers, just not sure how/why :(
Thanks for all your suggestions though.

Adrenalinemisfit

same problem

any news on your problem? I have been getting the same thing for the past year on my jv33. I have also tried everything that you have. I even took off all of the roller and soaked them in water with alittle dawn dish washing soap and scrubbed them with a tooth brush. I printed some test prints and they were not there. It seemed to fix it but the next day i loaded some 3m ij35c and they were back. my test print is almost perfect. Luckly I have another printer that i do all of my dark color printing on. and just use the jv33 for lighter colors.