• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki UCJV300-160 patchy printing

adsababy

Hi, hoping someone can help

I have a Mimaki UCJV 300-160 and am now seeing patchy prints, especially noticeable on block colours, mainly darker blues (always the worst flat colour). I have had the Air Purge error come up quite often so have gone through the process but it still reappears. The machine is out of warranty now so any advice would be helpful, it happens on all medias, see photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 956

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Sounds like maybe an ink flow issue. I'd probably start by adjusting the positive and negative pressure to make sure it's within range. Also, do you see air coming out during the air purge or is it solid ink?

adsababy

Sounds like maybe an ink flow issue. I'd probably start by adjusting the positive and negative pressure to make sure it's within range. Also, do you see air coming out during the air purge or is it solid ink?
Interesting because I have also had errors relating to negative and positive pressure, problem is that I have no idea how to adjust this. I cant see air as the tube is so dark with ink, it's not easy to tell so I just do at least two purges per ink.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I would see about getting a new purge line. If you can't see through it, it's probably clogged. As far as adjusting the pressure, it's in the service menu under the Test sub menu. The machine will beep slowly if it's too low and fast if it's too high. No beeping is what you're trying to achieve. I'd see if you can get your hands on a tech manual. I'm not allowed to give them out.

adsababy

I would see about getting a new purge line. If you can't see through it, it's probably clogged. As far as adjusting the pressure, it's in the service menu under the Test sub menu. The machine will beep slowly if it's too low and fast if it's too high. No beeping is what you're trying to achieve. I'd see if you can get your hands on a tech manual. I'm not allowed to give them out.
Thanks so much, I will try and get hold of the manual and report back what I find

zopylote

Hi, hoping someone can help

I have a Mimaki UCJV 300-160 and am now seeing patchy prints, especially noticeable on block colours, mainly darker blues (always the worst flat colour). I have had the Air Purge error come up quite often so have gone through the process but it still reappears. The machine is out of warranty now so any advice would be helpful, it happens on all medias, see photo.

this is not ink problem related... check media is coming bowed (waves)

adsababy

this is not ink problem related... check media is coming bowed (waves)
What could be the cause if it is media related? It happens on at least three different materials and although you cant see on the photo there is a colour difference, i.e less cyan in the patchy parts.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I've had this happen sporadically on our 1 year old UCJV. Nothing that bad but just assumed it was some kind of ink starvation.

kbrys

We have a 2 year old UV300-160 and it started doing the same thing most noticeable in blues about 3 months ago. I have no other errors and issues like the air purge error you are getting. We have replaced numerous motors, boards and ribbon cables ( no heads yet) without any improvements. Drop position and nozzle checks all look good. Coming from higher up the chain at Mimaki they think they have found the issue and believe it has to do with voltage to head. Which they say can be adjusted on the machine. Our tech was out last week and printed some more test that were shipped out. I will watch and update if a solution is found on our machine.

Kerry

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you are still getting air pressure errors, that's a sign they are out of range and/or there is a leak somewhere preventing the system from pressurizing correctly. The machine uses negative pressure to pull ink from the cartridges to the sub tank and then switches to positive when printing. If it's not pressurizing properly, you will get drop out like this. You might need to bring a tech in. I'd agree with media buckling but the drop out is happening in the scan direction which is not usual for buckling media.

adsababy

We have a 2 year old UV300-160 and it started doing the same thing most noticeable in blues about 3 months ago. I have no other errors and issues like the air purge error you are getting. We have replaced numerous motors, boards and ribbon cables ( no heads yet) without any improvements. Drop position and nozzle checks all look good. Coming from higher up the chain at Mimaki they think they have found the issue and believe it has to do with voltage to head. Which they say can be adjusted on the machine. Our tech was out last week and printed some more test that were shipped out. I will watch and update if a solution is found on our machine.

Kerry
Thanks for the info, I am hoping it wont be a long process to fix it as it is now out of warranty, as Solventinkjet has said, it seems to be linked to positive and negative pressure. I have an engineer out on Wednesday so will report back on progress. Be very interested to hear back if you get yours resolved :)

adsababy

If you are still getting air pressure errors, that's a sign they are out of range and/or there is a leak somewhere preventing the system from pressurizing correctly. The machine uses negative pressure to pull ink from the cartridges to the sub tank and then switches to positive when printing. If it's not pressurizing properly, you will get drop out like this. You might need to bring a tech in. I'd agree with media buckling but the drop out is happening in the scan direction which is not usual for buckling media.
I think I can discount the buckling as it only shows in certain colours, I have an engineer out on Wednesday so I will report back findings and also nudge him to look at what you have mentioned, thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

adsababy

Ok, so the engineer has just left without a fix. He performed an air purge and said that there was excess air in the head. He tested the negative and positive pressure and the positive pressure was set too high, he readjusted it to the correct setting but when testing, the machine errors 'not enough pressure'! so he has said unless I get an extended warranty it will cost a fortune to diagnose as it is not clear where the problem is. To be honest I might just get them to take the machine away and get a solvent instead.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I would take apart the air system and clean it well. Checking sub tank as well that it's looking good and not leaking air.

adsababy

I would take apart the air system and clean it well. Checking sub tank as well that it's looking good and not leaking air.
Thanks, I will have to get the engineer to do the work as I have no idea how to do this and risk damaging the machine, looks like its going to get pricey