• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki UJF-7151 plus Unresponsive

Smartish

Our 7151 recently started acting up and is now basically unresponsive when any button is pressed. I came into work on Monday and the screen displayed the "power off; press enter key" menu. Seemed frozen but began to work briefly. I was able to print 3 runs. On the 4th, the printer stopped halfway through the job and returned to the "power off; press enter key" menu. I was able to exit the menu by restarting the machine via switch. I restarted the job and the same thing happened. This time the machine froze completely. The machine will not turn off when I hit enter, and I can't exit the menu by pressing the "end" button. I turned the machine off with the switch on the side, restarted raster link, unplugged USB, unplugged power, replugged everything; NOTHING. The menu screen seems to randomly "fix" itself and returns to the main menu after a while, but it is inconsistent and the buttons still do not work. The machine is not recognized in rasterlink. When the menu is frozen, the clock still moves forward indicating a possible PCB failure. I took the menu panel out and reconnected the PCB ribbon cables. Still nothing.

We currently use RasterLink6Plus v. 1.9 and the V2.60 firmware on the machine.

We also use a UJF-6042 MkII that is working fine with RasterLink.

Any information on this issue would be very helpful.

TD Digital

Can you boot up into FW/Update mode? I would try reloading firmware and start simple by replacing the printer cable. I have seen odd things happen with poor data transmission.

Jeff Parson

Question - I am having the same issues - what was the remedy? a new PCB board? Just want to know what I am looking at?
I have expired ink - so I am hoping that is my issue. None of my buttons respond when pressed except the power off button.

Our 7151 recently started acting up and is now basically unresponsive when any button is pressed. I came into work on Monday and the screen displayed the "power off; press enter key" menu. Seemed frozen but began to work briefly. I was able to print 3 runs. On the 4th, the printer stopped halfway through the job and returned to the "power off; press enter key" menu. I was able to exit the menu by restarting the machine via switch. I restarted the job and the same thing happened. This time the machine froze completely. The machine will not turn off when I hit enter, and I can't exit the menu by pressing the "end" button. I turned the machine off with the switch on the side, restarted raster link, unplugged USB, unplugged power, replugged everything; NOTHING. The menu screen seems to randomly "fix" itself and returns to the main menu after a while, but it is inconsistent and the buttons still do not work. The machine is not recognized in rasterlink. When the menu is frozen, the clock still moves forward indicating a possible PCB failure. I took the menu panel out and reconnected the PCB ribbon cables. Still nothing.

APCInk

Merchant Member
The solution might actually be very simple... It sounds like the "End/Power" key on the Control Panel may be periodically getting stuck. We recently had a similar issue on a UCJV and were scratching our heads until we disassembled the whole Keyboard Assy and were able to run the machine fine with just the bare keyboard PCB and none of the actual plastic buttons or bezel attached. Initially we thought that the PCB was bad but in the end it appears that the plastic of the buttons may have been slightly warped and were causing pressure on the End Button. Because the machine was under warranty, we ordered the whole keyboard assy, but while waiting for the parts to come in we were able to run with everything reassembled, just with the screws a little loose. Let me know if this ends up being the issue on your machine.

Jeff Parson

Can you boot up into FW/Update mode? I would try reloading firmware and start simple by replacing the printer cable. I have seen odd things happen with poor data transmission.
Nope it will not allow me to get into any mode. None of the buttons work except power off. It only works after several seconds of pressing. Mimaki is replacing the PCB board and the lcd panel tomorrow. Hopefully I will be back printing soon.

JDC

did the pcb board fix the issue? having the same with my 2 year old jv150-160....was it the slider board??

I have this exact issue on a Mimaki UJF-6042 MKII UV Printer.

I took apart the display panel so that the PCB board is bare, (i.e. none of the plastic external buttons are touching the actual board), but, it still behaves as if the Power/End button is continuously being pressed. Unfortunately this issue renders the machine inoperable as it randomly, but, frequently cycles between the main menu and the shutdown confirmation menu.

I took the back of the machine apart to check the mainboard and power supply, but, I've not seen any obvious physical damage like burned-out resistors, popped/leaky capacitors, or, loose/broken cables/connectors, so, the issue must be either with the toggle button itself on the PCB, the cabling, or, just something that can't be seen trough visual inspection.

I'm in the process of ordering a new display PCB, so, I'll come back and provide an update once I get it installed.

Quicksign

Hi,
I have just had the same issue with my Mimaki 6042 mk ii, I got the keyboard board changed and all is good now, the new board comes with a display screen as well ,

Tipgypsy

Any chance some ink or primer has gotten on the board, or ribbon cable connections at one time ? Are the cable contacts clean and in good shape ?

Any chance some ink or primer has gotten on the board, or ribbon cable connections at one time ? Are the cable contacts clean and in good shape ?
I received the new board this morning and completed the replacement. This issue appears to be gone as I've been running now for more than an hour without the machine attempting to cycle the power, (which was occurring once every few seconds) . I had a new cable as well, but, I did not replace it as I wanted to determine the exact source of the problem which does indeed seem to be just the display board.

Luckily I've not had any instances of ink or liquids spilling on the control panel / display area and I did not see any evidence of corrosion on the board. To honest, the old board looked brand new when I took it out and did not show any indication of damage. I had also checked all the cable connections throughout the entire machine a number of times during the troubleshooting process and everything appeared to be seated properly.

I can only speculate, but, given the instances of this very specific issue occurring with other machine owners, I would venture to guess this board could have an inherent defect in it's manufacturing or design, but, that's just my opinion.

Tipgypsy

Glad you got it working - sounds like you were pretty Thorough . The board could have a bad solder joint somewhere - tough to find, everything has its issues these days.

Thanks - That is true. Overall, I've actually been very pleased with Mimaki 6042. Other than the two gas struts that support the main cover, this is the first piece of hardware I've had to replace after a little over two years of use.