• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mistakes Happen

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We're in the business of custom products. By we I mean just about everyone reading this forum. Mistakes happen, arguably more so than in other trades. Copy can be wrong, problems with equipment, problems with color, we know all too well.

I have to say though, secretly I appreciate all the chances we have to make mistakes. It does two very strong things to the leaders.

First, they help weed out the competition. Small mistakes on a job can cost the entire profit over time. Also, if not handled well, it could lead to customer dissatisfaction. The better we handle this, the further ahead of our competition we get.

Secondly, and by far the most important, is that it gives all of us a chance to prove we're worth our salt. When a customer has already mailed the check, and they hold no cards, we can rise up and prove we back our products unconditionally. How else would a customer know how far we're willing to go to make things right and stand by our word if we were not presented with the OPPORTUNITY to fix a mistake. How else would we build life long relationships?

I know it sounds sappy, but the leaders in every industry realize this. They realize the opportunities in the storm. They see the the lightning, and rather than hide from it, they harness it.

What will you do with the storm clouds tomorrow?

-Gene

visual800

very true! I have redone more signs in the past 3 years than in all the years Ive been in business due to product failure. When they call and the paint is flaking, or the pvc is warped all I do is say "Don't worry about it, it will be redone!" Most customers are shocked! But all are extremely appreciative. Yes it hurts likes hell but there is no other option

Good post

Typestries

Great post Gene. I'd say you and I think alike in a lot of ways. Fixing mistakes doesn't cost, it pays long term dividends.

Have a great day all!

Billct2

very true! I have redone more signs in the past 3 years than in all the years Ive been in business due to product failure. When they call and the paint is flaking, or the pvc is warped all I do is say "Don't worry about it, it will be redone!" Most customers are shocked! But all are extremely appreciative. Yes it hurts likes hell but there is no other option
too bad the suppliers who saddle us with inferior products don't have the same integrity

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good post..... mistakes are gonna happen, even if you aren't involved. Employees, shipping companies, vendors, the customers themselves on occasion and just Murphay's Law.... they all play an important part of making an owner or department head cringe from time to time.

Happily for us, those mistakes are accounted for by inserting into each and every job a 'fugup factor'. Getting through jobs without any hiccups, makes that term mean so much more, but whenever something goes wrong it is allowable to a certain extent, so it's easier for us not to fly off the handle on some items.

As long as these hiccups are caught before the final project goes out the door, we're all good, but having to go back and fix something does have it's rewards when a customer sees you standing behind your word and your product. It warms my heart to have happy customers, but it makes me really smile inside when the job goes without a hitch......... :wink:

SD&F

Gene, I whole heartedly agree. I have stood in the face of people who are absolutely amazed that they even get a call back if there is a problem. We, like you handle them right up front and deal with the issue. That is what it takes to build a reputation and to feel good about yourself. I think leaders are built through strenght, levelheadedness and adversity.