• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mixing GS with GS+ inks - how bad???

Ken42

Hi all,

Probably a silly question regarding my Encad NovaJet Pro 600e . . .

How bad an idea is it to mix GS and GS+ inks in the same reservoirs and cartridges? I want to use up some ink on hand and I'm not worried much about the output quality on these runs (basically some "novelty" prints on very cheap paper), but I don't want to permanently damage the cartridges.

More specifically . . .
If I'm running all GS for CMYK and run low on one color (e.g., Y) so I top-off the Y-reservior with GS+ . . .

1) Will the Y cartridge be damaged? If not . . .

2) Will the Y values (including greens and oranges) in the prints be somewhere in the same ballpark as before the mix? If not . . .

3) Will colors return to "normal" when I return to running all GS (or all GS+)? Will I need to flush-out the ink line(s) and cartridge(s) or will I just gradually get better results as the "foreign" ink(s) work their way out of the system?

4) Is there a "good" way to do this? Is it better to mix closer to a 50/50 ratio or is it better to run as much of the 1st ink out before adding any of the second? (NOTE: I'm not considering a mix of GO with GS!)

Or is this all just a really bad idea that should be avoided at all costs? ;-)

Thanks for any insights, suggestions, painful memories, etc. . .

Ken

OldPaint

GS means _graphic standard” _ the industry standard for color gamut and easy profiling. PLUS means fast print-to-lamination time compared with other ink formulations. The amazing color range of GS PLUS is suited for a wide array of indoor applications.
DO THAT HELP?

Ken42

Hi Paint,

It's a start. ;-)

I've been using the GS inks for quite a while. The "PLUS means fast . . ." leads me to believe the drying time is shortened, and therfore the "open" time would be different for multiple color passes, given the same media, yes? If that's the case, then the colors will look different if I mix GS and GS+ . . . but maybe not enough different to be a problem for my application?

What about mixing Encad-brand GS ink with Encad-compatible (e.g., Global Print Supply) GS ink? Both are GS (no "plus"), so I'm hoping it's not a problem to mix those. Can't I just add more GS to the reservior, regardless of the brand of GS already in there?

Thanks!

Ken

OldPaint

i got an encad 736, and i run GX+. WAS TOLD NEVER TO MIX THE GX INKS WITH GX +.
so.........what i would do is get another printhead, and tank........and put the other ink in it......

Ken42

Yeah, that would be the right thing to do alright. For me though, it would cost less to just buy more GS than to get a whole new set of cartridges just for the little GS+ I have around . . . unless I were going to switch to GS+ (which I currently don't plan on).

Thanks!
Ken

Ken42

Thanks, Techman. I'll probably just stick with GS and get more ink instead (for now), but of course carts don't last forever. I'll get in touch next time I need a new set of carts.

Thanks,
Ken