• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mobile Sign Company Anyone?

VINYLIMAGEZ

Bought a battery for the generator, and installed it, couldnt get the dawm thing to start, after trying to start it for like 30 minutes i found out one off the fuel lines was kinked, started it and its a lot quieter than other generators I'v heard, you can actually have a conversation with no problem.

signage

I hope that it is a true sign-wave generator if you intend to run sensitive electronic equipment! Most have an inverter to keep the power for these electronics consistent.

VINYLIMAGEZ

I hope that it is a true sign-wave generator if you intend to run sensitive electronic equipment! Most have an inverter to keep the power for these electronics consistent.

I did some research about diesel generators, a lot of them come with a mechanical voltage regulator, usually the open ones (the ones you see the engine etc.), some of the enclosed/silent generators come with a automatic voltage regulator wich is LIKE the feature the gas inverters have.
I had in mined to run 2 eu2000 hondas linked together but I needed more watts for this rig, heres a link so you can get an idea of the "automatic voltage regulators" http://www.dieselgeneratorsmiami.com/powergeneral/26/automatic-voltage-regulators.html

hospitals trust "automatic voltage Regulators", (I know its not the same comparison, but I think I will be ok)

signage

Voltage regulation is not the only issue with certain electronic devices with chips. Alot of these chips require true sign-wave or they get damaged. That is why alot of generators used to supply to critical devices use the inverter type voltage regulators. In large commercial backup systems they have other equipment installed to clean the power from the generators.

OldPaint

i imagine your going to use a PRINTER in the mobile unit and dont most need 220-240V for the heaters??? and what others are talking about generator voltage not being the same as line voltage IS TRUE!!!! generators are great for lighting and running a/c, fridge and other induction motors, electronics....NOT GOOD.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
The problems with most gennies is as others have stated the power fluctuation. If you are going to be using the setup consistantly, i would suggest having a battery supply you can store the power into, then have the power inverter attached to the battery supply. It will act as a super capacitor and make sure your power is not a dirty source coming out. your computer alone will fry like a piece of bacon if you just hook it into your gennie without a way to regulate that power and turn it from an erratic and dirty power source to something a little more consistant.

phototec

It's always a good idea to use a UPS with "automatic voltage regulation" between the generator and any solid-state electronic devices, such as computers, plotters, printers, etc. Most generators as mentioned, don't produce a full sign-wave electrical source and often produce spikes in voltage as they cycle during operation.

The added benefit of the UPS is if the generator runs out of fuel in the middle of a print or plot, the UPS will supply power and will allow the device to continue to run for a several minutes to finish the job.

It's better to be safe and have the UPS, then to be sorry and burn up your computer, plotter, printer, etc.

:banghead:

Techman

I ran a computer, cutter, and printer on a generator for weeks during katrina recovery. Never had it better. Put the cutter in da trunk and went site to site. Used their generator power or my own. Didn't care.

Also using their power is a lot better than using your generator.

electronics....NOT GOOD.

Most electronic equipment has a power supply inside their case. They are very accurate and supply clean power from what ever is fed to them. That power supply in elecronic equipment is much better than most think it is. That power supply is a computer is state of the art and is extremely resistant to outside damage and is very good at supplying cleaned up power derived from generators...

You will have few problems with a generator.

VINYLIMAGEZ

Installed walls and lighting sunday, its gonna have 12 t8 daylight tubes, still need bunch of work

ForumRunner_20120109_032326.png

ForumRunner_20120109_032344.png

ForumRunner_20120109_032404.png

ForumRunner_20120109_032258.png

VINYLIMAGEZ

All the electrical is ready, still needs more work, need a work table, roll racks, mount the generator up front etc., wish i had more time.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120129_171225.png
    ForumRunner_20120129_171225.png
    489.7 KB · Views: 75
  • ForumRunner_20120129_171243.png
    ForumRunner_20120129_171243.png
    518.2 KB · Views: 88
  • ForumRunner_20120129_171304.png
    ForumRunner_20120129_171304.png
    512.3 KB · Views: 90
  • ForumRunner_20120129_171342.png
    ForumRunner_20120129_171342.png
    402.3 KB · Views: 82
  • ForumRunner_20120129_171409.png
    ForumRunner_20120129_171409.png
    816.9 KB · Views: 97
  • ForumRunner_20120129_171442.png
    ForumRunner_20120129_171442.png
    470.1 KB · Views: 77

CentralSigns

I saw a real good grow op a while back built in the same kind of trailer. You would't believe how high tech they are now a days. Grow lights, fans, water source and everything self contained. Just drive around till the crop is ready.

J

john1

Best of luck with this. I really think it's going to be super super crammed when the work table goes in though especially since your doing printing/laminating also.

VINYLIMAGEZ

john1 said:
Best of luck with this. I really think it's going to be super super crammed when the work table goes in though especially since your doing printing/laminating also.

thanks, We will see

signdudegraphix

My shop has been mobile for the 18 years I've been in business. I started with vinyl cutters & didn't get my Roland VP-300 until 2008. I'm currently in a 8.5'x24 trailer with a vending window.

My Honda EU2000 runs everything but the a/c. If I need to run my a/c, I use a 4000 watt generac. Most of the time I'm using a good power source wherever I'm doing the job at. I also make sure that my computers, cutter, VP-300 and anything else that could be sensitive is on large battery backups. I've never had a problem in 18 years.

During the summer months I work a fair & festival route. In the winter, I'm in the Tampa, FL area. Currently, I'm wrapping 4 food trailers in Pensacola, FL.

I decided to make my sign shop mobile because I enjoy traveling. That's been part of my biz model from day one. My customers love it that I can come to them & do the work on site. I've built a great reputation for doing quality work. I still have great customers that have been with me since my first year in business, so I must be doing something right.

If anyone has any questions on doing a mobile shop, please ask. I'll be happy to help if I can.

I'll post pictures of my mobile shop soon.