• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mobile Sign Company Anyone?

VINYLIMAGEZ

I think what he's getting at is that eco-sol prints should really cure for about 12 to 24 hours if doing it properly before laminating. Speeding it up and using a hair dryer is probably a little frowned upon by most professionals and if the customer would see you drying prints with a hair dryer or heat gun would probably ask questions... forcing you to lie about the manufacturer's written warranties and directions. I don't think lazy is what he was referring to, but what else can you do, if you are stuck at the site and have to wait even 5 or 6 hours for things to dry ??

Die-cut vinyl is one thing.... or small printed stickers, but if you're gonna do something for that Texas afternoon sun, I would hope you'd take all precautions and give the customer a valued product produced properly.

how many people really wait that long?
in my own experience I have had them laminated bout 30/20 minuts (or dry to the touch) and the prints are still like the first day I made them, I am talking about prints I have done in the past that are still going strong! years ago!, so why should I wait 24 hours? if it has worked for me, why change that, why?
now which customer is going to ask that? seriously?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just stating the facts.

If I walked in on somebody drying a patch job on my vehicle and he was holding a heater or dryer of sorts.... you bet I would ask questions.

If I walked into my Vet's operating room and he was giving my cat whiskey to knock him out for some minor surgery, you bet I'd be asking questions. Where's mine ??

What you're saying is partially true. Many people laminate within minutes of prints coming out, but that's not what the warranty section of your specs will say if you read them carefully. I have no problem with how or what you do in your business, but there's no way I could do that and still in my head, know I'm not doing it correctly.

Now, if you came to this site and everyone in a thread said not to do something a certain way, that it's a buncha hogwash.... but you knew different.... what would you do for your very best and paying customers ?? Short change them knowingly or give them a product you can stand behind honestly ??

Reputation means a lot to me. Whether or not people here... believe me or agree with me has nothing to do with my business ethics. I don't really care for popularity contests.... as witnessed by the many a-hem.... discussions I'm in, but I will always do my best to give my customers my best and do my best to give correct answers or advice here at s101. I never want people to doubt me or what I stand for in anything.

Now, I feel confident you have the ammo to do the right thing. Regardless of how you use that information is up to you and how you want to conduct yourself in business.

I'm not calling you names, lazy or dishonest... as I've said, you do what you want. My part is done.

Go get'em Mobile One Division :toasting:

Joe Diaz

"They" say you should wait for your prints to "outgas" for 24 or so hours. But I wonder if this depends on the ink, material and equip you use. So far the only benefit we have found with letting something outgas for that long is how aggressive the tac is when you apply, then how easy the print is to remove at a later date. As far as performance and longevity of the print, I haven't noticed any difference in letting the print set a long time vs running it through the laminator right after it's done printing. And we have tested it every which way.

We have a Roland Versacamm with eco-sol ink. We print on Oracal 3951G (the majority of the time). We have a cold laminator. Our prints are dry to the touch within a few minuets of being printed and you could laminate it right away if the aggressiveness of the tac in't an issue for you. At least that is what we have found.

I'd personally like to see the documents stating the warranty for the various materials of digital prints with regards to outgassing or letting it sit. And I'm not talking about their suggestions or recommendations here. I want to see how it effects the "warranty". When you mix one brand of equipment, with a different brand of ink, and different brand of vinyl and perhaps another brand of laminate... then you factor in the different process each printer takes to do a job, I would love to see how any manufacture or supplier can warranty something like that at all, let alone be able to prove whether or not you letting your prints outgas or not were somehow the cause of any type of failure.

VINYLIMAGEZ

I'd personally like to see the documents stating the warranty for the various materials of digital prints with regards to outgassing or letting it sit. And I'm not talking about their suggestions or recommendations here. I want to see how it effects the "warranty".

`good point, I would like to see this too

VINYLIMAGEZ

Table ready, primary monitor needs some bolts

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120131_232906.png
    ForumRunner_20120131_232906.png
    374.9 KB · Views: 81
  • ForumRunner_20120131_232931.png
    ForumRunner_20120131_232931.png
    396.8 KB · Views: 79

kylebrk

There is a guy in my area that is very succesful

http://www.mobilegraphicstx.com/

I've thought about putting a mobile unit together. I still might.

However, the link you posted is awful. If I saw that, no way Im spending money. How these people sell "design" when they can't design themselves is beyond me. Also, grammar check! I am horrible with the english language and can do better than that....

Whatever.

kylebrk

^Don't feed the troll's and the will leave

fair enough. thought you put these things on an open forum to gain perspective. if you just wanted everyone to pat you on the back, you should have stopped by your third grade classroom.

i was just giving my honest opinion. if any of my clients walked in and saw those types of images in my shop or on my marketing material...i would only be able to find work at fairs and flea markets.

VINYLIMAGEZ

fair enough. thought you put these things on an open forum to gain perspective. if you just wanted everyone to pat you on the back, you should have stopped by your third grade classroom.

i was just giving my honest opinion. if any of my clients walked in and saw those types of images in my shop or on my marketing material...i would only be able to find work at fairs and flea markets.

are you Gino's son?

VINYLIMAGEZ

Compliment of course, It's just that MAN! whats up with all the formal/strict behavior with some people here? LOL! I do really feel sorry for the thin skinned people that visit this forum.

anyways back to topic

Locals Find!

I have been following your posts. Its looking good I admire the hard work and dedication you have been putting into this project.

I hope it all works out. Keep us posted on how things work for your when its operational. I am sure others would also like to know of potential pitfalls to avoid based on your real world experiences once its up and running.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nope, he's not my son, but at least he thinks well.... unlike some others.

Again, you and whomever else wants to cut corners because they know better.... well, just do what you want, but you've been warned. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean you're correct.... it just means you're voiding your own warranty.

If we're in a pinch, I've already made an exception, but that is rare. We usually don't let customers dictate how we do our job. If they can't wait for proper procedures, then they just sign a paper and we do it wrong, but they know it up front. We don't hide the fact, that we're purposely doing it wrong.

Here' ya go............​

Oracal
"When using solvent inks, we recommended allowing a minimum of 24 to 48 hours for the ink to cure before laminating.
Failure to follow this practice can cause bubbles, delamination, discoloration, shrinkage and difficult application due to increased adhesive properties."

Mactac
"You must let printed graphics dry properly. Dry to the touch does not mean that the printed graphics are
completely dry or “cured”. The graphics must be accessible to the air to drive the solvents off of the
media. Printing directly onto a take up roll and putting in the corner is not drying. There must be air flow
to push the solvents off the media! We recommend a minimum of 24-48 hours dry time before any type
of finishing (overlaminate, clearcoat). Without the recommended dry time, solvents are trapped and
migrate into the film causing it to soften and stretch improperly. These solvents will also migrate into
and deaden the adhesive. We cannot stress enough the importance of drying the graphics properly."

Joe Diaz

Our largest source of business is truck drivers, and fleet graphics for trucking firms. The graphics applied on these trucks get more abuse from the elements then most signs do. For these types of jobs, we measure, design, print, apply, and sometimes pinstripe these trucks in a single day. If it's a truck belonging to a fleet where we have already done the design work, we can do up to four of those trucks in a day.

These types of clients will schedule weeks to months in advance, but can't afford to leave their vehicles at our shop for more than a day. Every hour those trucks aren't on the road they aren't making money. So they expect those trucks to be done fast, and they expect the highest quality, and they can get that here.

Contrary to Gino's opinion we don't cut corners here. We do the best work we can and because of that, these clients come back for more... multiple times. We like to create lasting customer relationships at our shop. We have yet to have a job come back to us due to a print failure and these graphics get a lot of punishment. So from our experience letting a print sit for less than 24hours has had 0 effects on the quality or longevity of our printed graphics once they are installed. Perhaps because we print with eco-sol inks. Perhaps it's our choice of materials, perhaps our printer prints in a way or dries in a way that allows us to do this. But it just does.

There is only one difference we have noticed between laminating and applying in less than a day after printing vs letting the print sit for a day or two. There is a noticeably difference in how the graphics install. The adhesive seems more aggressive if you don't let it sit. It's like working with normal high performance vinyl. In this case it's terrible for wraps because it's difficult to reposition the graphics. So for wrap like projects we do let our prints sit. But if repositioning isn't a concern, Once the graphics are installed they hold up great. We have yet to see evidence of print failure coming from our shop. Period.

Now that's just us thought. I'm not telling anyone how to do their job in this case. We may use a different combination of equipment and media than someone else. And what works for us may not work for everyone, hence the recommendations in the text that Gino posted.. However you all should note those are "recommendations" he took off of faq pages, not a part of the warranty.

Most of these suppliers look at reports of failure on a case by case basis anyway. and it's a crapshoot as to whether or not they will stand by their product the moment you do anything with their material.

I'm just telling you what works for us, not necessarily what I think you should do. I'm saying that is possible to produce a high quality product without waiting a day or two to apply or laminate that printed graphic and I'm defending my comments against those that believe making decisions about your businesses based on years of experience is somehow corner cutting.

Back to the original topic. A few years ago, we had toyed around with the mobile shop idea. When my brother and I buy out my parents, we could get a large RV. The front portion would be living are for my folks, and the back would be a place for my dad to store his pin stripping kit and equipment. They enjoy travelling, so they would be able to do that and go to meets. We would of course need to wrap the RV with some killer graphics promoting the business. But now with gas prices as high as they are. I don't know.

Last edited:
J

john1

Hey Vinylimagez, quick question.

What are your thoughts on venting the printer inks since it's in such a small area (trailer) and what about in your in mall store?

Thanks!

VINYLIMAGEZ

john1 said:

What are your thoughts on venting the printer inks since it's in such a small area (trailer) and what about in your in mall store?

Thanks!

I like getting High off it

VINYLIMAGEZ

john1 said:

Thanks!

To be honest, no comment, peace yo!