• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Modem Question Please

PMG

With all the up to date digital equipment out these day,,LOL we went all Cable (Modem-Phone-TV),everything works GREAT except i thing,,i use my 56k modem that came with the PC to send faxes,and i have a caller ID system on my PC as well,,well with the new phone line,the ID information does display,the problem I'm running into is the analog modem does not read the new digital phone line,,,before i go and get a new modem,,does anyone know of a in-line phone filter that will convert the digital signal to an analog signal? the Cable company says they cant do anything for this problem,,the drivers for the modem is up to date.and they maker of the modem says it is caller ID ready?

srt10x3

Pro-Motion Graphix said:
With all the up to date digital equipment out these day,,LOL we went all Cable (Modem-Phone-TV),everything works GREAT except i thing,,i use my 56k modem that came with the PC to send faxes,and i have a caller ID system on my PC as well,,well with the new phone line,the ID information does display,the problem I'm running into is the analog modem does not read the new digital phone line,,,before i go and get a new modem,,does anyone know of a in-line phone filter that will convert the digital signal to an analog signal? the Cable company says they cant do anything for this problem,,the drivers for the modem is up to date.and they maker of the modem says it is caller ID ready?

Can you take a regular walmart phone with callerid display, connect it to your "gizmo" an see the caller id. If you can, set your Ring count to 2 or more on your fax modem. If you can not, then caller id is not being passed by your "gizmo"

Craig

PMG

srt10x3 said:
Can you take a regular walmart phone with callerid display, connect it to your "gizmo" an see the caller id. If you can, set your Ring count to 2 or more on your fax modem. If you can not, then caller id is not being passed by your "gizmo"

Craig
Yes my caller id works on all my other phones,,just does not send the id info threw the analog modem.i could just go get a digital modem,but wanted to try to get the one i got to work before i go get a new one!!!

Techman

is your caller ID modem installed with the correct driver? And is your modem caller id enabled?

And, is the phome line connected to the proper modem port. There are line in and a phone in ports.. It needs line in.. Soem modems dotn care which port you use, others will acept only line in to work right.. And, is the filter installed onto your telephone socket if it is required..

PMG

Yes my modem is up 2 date,,,for a analog modem,and is caller id ready,the modem is not the problem,,the problem is the phone line,,it is now digital going into a analog modem,,i have a cable modem,and it works fine,i was using this 56k internal modem that i got with the PC,and on my old land line everything worked,,Ive talked to HP and the cable company,,both said the analog modem is not reading the digital phone line,i was just looking to find a filter for the line to convert the digital signal into a analog signal,so i did not haft to go get a new modem ,just to get the caller id system and Fax to work on my PC,the cable company says they have no strings that will correct the problem,,,so looks like my only choice is to get another external digital modem!!!!

srt10x3

Pro-Motion Graphix said:
Yes my modem is up 2 date,,,for a analog modem,and is caller id ready,the modem is not the problem,,the problem is the phone line,,it is now digital going into a analog modem,,i have a cable modem,and it works fine,i was using this 56k internal modem that i got with the PC,and on my old land line everything worked,,Ive talked to HP and the cable company,,both said the analog modem is not reading the digital phone line,i was just looking to find a filter for the line to convert the digital signal into a analog signal,so i did not haft to go get a new modem ,just to get the caller id system and Fax to work on my PC,the cable company says they have no strings that will correct the problem,,,so looks like my only choice is to get another external digital modem!!!!

There is a bit of mis information there. 99% of modems in computers are analog, unless it is ISDN, or T1. POTS (Plain old telephone service) is used with modem and pretty much every other phone out ther. The box your cable company got you converts the digital VOIP to an analog port on the back of the box. You then plug that into your house outlet so all your old phones work.

The issue here is, if a regular phone (which is analog by the way) displays caller id then so will the modem. Some modems do not support caller id, so I wonder if your modem ever displayed caller id. Simple fact is, if a phone does display it, then the modem will, providing it's installed correctly.

Incidently some providers are sending out "NEW" digital phones that only work with their "gizmo" (the box that converts the VOIP digital signal. In which case there is nothing you can do, as there isn't a "Digital" modem you can buy for your computer :)

You can hit the diagnostic button in the device manager on the modem, and it'll say if it support Caller ID in the "Query Modem" window.

Craig

PMG

do you know what command line will show that it is caller ID ready,,it is a Agere WIN modem,,when i was on line with HP tech,,he said it is also know as a Cheetah modem........

srt10x3

Pro-Motion Graphix said:
do you know what command line will show that it is caller ID ready,,it is a Agere WIN modem,,when i was on line with HP tech,,he said it is also know as a Cheetah modem........

ATI1 through ATI6 from a terminal window will report back what capabilities the modem has

Additionally these will report some more information.
AT+GMM
AT+FCLASS=?
AT#CLS=?
AT+GCI?
AT+GCI=?

srt10x3

Pro-Motion Graphix said:
AT#CLS=? this is the only 1 that says command not supported......
Dont' worry about that one.
at#cid turns on caller id.

Run terminal
type AT#CID

call you modem from your cell phone and see if it says
Ring - Caller Name - Caller Number.

Craig

PMG

Thanks for the help,,im not much on changeing the info in a PC,where would i type in that command?LOL i put AT+CID in RUN under the start menue and nothing was found!!!and in the modem properties there is no place to put that info!!!! i did a serch on this,,and found this info,but nothing else............
Where would i go to put this info in my modem????

Do the LT Win Modems support caller ID?

Some do, some don't, depending on how the distributor configured them. Lucent writes:
If your modem's hardware supports Caller ID, use the V.253 standard command AT+VCID=n command, where n=0 disables Caller ID
n=1 enables formatted display
n=2 enables unformatted display

srt10x3

Control Panel, Phone and Modem Options ,Modems, Properties, Advanced you can put command in the "extra settings" box.

On some modems you need to leave off the AT try it with first, then without.

Cheers
Craig

Pro-Motion Graphix said:
Thanks for the help,,im not much on changeing the info in a PC,where would i type in that command?LOL i put AT+CID in RUN under the start menue and nothing was found!!!and in the modem properties there is no place to put that info!!!! i did a serch on this,,and found this info,but nothing else............
Where would i go to put this info in my modem????

Do the LT Win Modems support caller ID?

Some do, some don't, depending on how the distributor configured them. Lucent writes:
If your modem's hardware supports Caller ID, use the V.253 standard command AT+VCID=n command, where n=0 disables Caller ID
n=1 enables formatted display
n=2 enables unformatted display