• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Montreal...

qmr55

Anyone from Montreal? How is it there in December? Just booked my hotel a friend and I are coming up for new years! Anyone in the downtown area? I'm staying at Fairmont the Queen Elizabeth. What do you estimate the ratio of French speaking to English speaking? I speak absolutely no French except bonjour lol but I hope it won't be too bad communicating with them! A friend of mine said its about 70:30 in favor of French but he wasn't sure on that number.

It would be cool to check out someones shop in that area if your close let me know! I'll be there from December 28-Jan 1.

Also, what are some cool things to check out around the area? Good bars? Good places to view during the day? I heard Mt. Royal is pretty cool! Give me some ideas...

:thankyou: :Canada 2:

Baz

Like Hockey? You are in the mecca of hockey. Buffalo is in town against the Canadiens on Tues. the 31st.

A walk through Old Montreal is great. Mont Royal also is nice to go through. There are many, many restaurants. The olympic stadium is cool to see also with the Biodome next to it.

For nightlife. You are in the best city in Canada!

I wouldnt wory about the french to much in Montreal. Most can understand english. There is always a chance to meet with an ignorant french person who will give you a look and answer you in french and leave you to try and understand it ... Just ignore those people and have a good time :toasting:

qmr55

Like Hockey? You are in the mecca of hockey. Buffalo is in town against the Canadiens on Tues. the 31st.

A walk through Old Montreal is great. Mont Royal also is nice to go through. There are many, many restaurants. The olympic stadium is cool to see also with the Biodome next to it.

For nightlife. You are in the best city in Canada!

I wouldnt wory about the french to much in Montreal. Most can understand english. There is always a chance to meet with an ignorant french person who will give you a look and answer you in french and leave you to try and understand it ... Just ignore those people and have a good time :toasting:

Awesome thank you! We were looking at Old Montreal it looks like it would be a great walk. We will probably check out the olympic stadium for sure. I can't believe the architecture in Montreal.

Glad the nightlife will be good!

Thank you for clearing that up about the languages! As long as they can decipher what I am ordering at restaurants and what not we will be alright!

I am thinking we will probably check out the underground city as well, seem's kind of cool and it's not something you see everyday!

Baz

Restaurants i wouldn't wory at all about speaking in english and hotels are not a problem either. It's mostly when you ask a pedestrian for directions you might get the odd problem person. I have never taken a tour of the underground but i did a quick google search and it looks pretty cool indeed :thumb:

qmr55

Restaurants i wouldn't wory at all about speaking in english and hotels are not a problem either. It's mostly when you ask a pedestrian for directions you might get the odd problem person. I have never taken a tour of the underground but i did a quick google search and it looks pretty cool indeed :thumb:

Awesome! Thank you for the help :Big Laugh

And yes it looks rather interesting we will definitely be check it out..

HulkSmash

Man that sounds like fun! As someone who has grown up in a french house and neighborhood I can't believe I've never been to Montreal yet.

As for french, here are the important ones:
(and sorry I'm too lazy to look up how to type french accents)

beer = biere
hotel = hotel
washroom = salle de bain / salle de toilette
party = party
food = nourriture/bouffe
sign = enseigne

I think that's all the important ones you'll need....lol!

so, you speak french, patt?

qmr55

Man that sounds like fun! As someone who has grown up in a french house and neighborhood I can't believe I've never been to Montreal yet.

As for french, here are the important ones:
(and sorry I'm too lazy to look up how to type french accents)

beer = biere
hotel = hotel
washroom = salle de bain / salle de toilette
party = party
food = nourriture/bouffe
sign = enseigne

I think that's all the important ones you'll need....lol!

:thankyou: Those will most likely be the essentials :D oh and taxi! LOL

Take a trip for new years we can have a drink! Never too late for a first time visit somewhere!

qmr55

Oh wow that's a drive to Montreal!

I'm glad you are doing good, wish I could say the same about our economy lol but we're still doing pretty good, could be worse!

bigben

I'm on the Montreal south shore. There's a lot of things to see. It depend what you like. As for the language, specially if you go downtown, it's easier to find someone who speak english than french. I do many of murals in Montreal and some staff doesn't speak a word in french. No mater where you will go, you'll find someone who speak english.

Some of my friends are club's owner. If you want a VIP pass, let me know.

qmr55

I'm on the Montreal south shore. There's a lot of things to see. It depend what you like. As for the language, specially if you go downtown, it's easier to find someone who speak english than french. I do many of murals in Montreal and some staff doesn't speak a word in french. No mater where you will go, you'll find someone who speak english.

Some of my friends are club's owner. If you want a VIP pass, let me know.

Awesome! Sent you a PM

OldPaint

QUEBEC.....is more french speaking. that province has been talking about making themselves......a SEPARATE COUNTRY......because of the language.

Baz

QUEBEC.....is more french speaking. that province has been talking about making themselves......a SEPARATE COUNTRY......because of the language.

Yes that is all true. To bad we don't have NHB anymore because that is where your comment should be replied to. :Big Laugh

2NinerNiner2

Bring a good appetite too!

I lived in beautiful downtown Montreal for 5 years, not far from where you are staying.

Your choice of hotel provides an excellent location. It is connected to the "Underground City", which is a nice place to wander around in the winter; 100's of shops and restaurants. I used to go there often for my coffee break when it was -20C! ... a short Metro ride from my "office", the Java U at the corner of rue Guy and de Maisonneuve (see photo). Great place for a coffee and a snack!

Be sure to try a Montreal smoked meat san at La Belle Province (see photo) if you don't want to go all the way to Schwartz's (3895 Saint-Laurent Boulevard), which is arguably the very best! :)

Crescent Street between Sherbrooke and Rene Levesque (your hotel street) is where a lot of the upscale bars and restaurants are; that's where all the "action is" during Grande Prix, etc.

Montrealers know how to have a great time and as others have mentioned, don't fret about the language; I managed quite well for my time there as a 100% Anglophone :)

Salut-la!
Lyle

Attachments

• me_ju1.jpg
    me_ju1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 52
  • yul_smoked_meat1.jpg
    yul_smoked_meat1.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 70

Sticky Signs

Montreal Rules! What a great city. I wish I was going, just not in the winter. It can get really really cold in Quebec so be prepared. Bring some good boots.
All of the above sounds right to me. Old Montreal for sure. If you like architecture, cheque out some of the cathedrals (Notre Dame rings a bell but I may be wrong). Talk about craftsmanship. Those places where built before power tools. Pretty awesome.
Here's another little secret. Make sure you go out of your way to compliment the girls. Or least check them out. It's like they actually get insulted if don't.
Have fun.

OldPaint

Yes that is all true. To bad we don't have NHB anymore because that is where your comment should be replied to. :Big Laugh
was not posted for anything other then FYI!!!!! i been to KEY-BEC couple times as i was stationed at LORING MAINE. 3 miles south of the Canadian border. also been to campbellton and Dalhousie.

Marlene

Be sure to try a Montreal smoked meat san at La Belle Province (see photo) if you don't want to go all the way to Schwartz's (3895 Saint-Laurent Boulevard), which is arguably the very best! :)

go to St. Laurent as the smoked meat is so good!!! St. Laurent is also kind of the line between the mostly French and the mostly English. the bars are great, French or English. I used to hang out at a bar on St. Denis and also at Winster Churchill's on Cresent Street. try as many resturants as you can in different areas as there is such a diversity. old Montreal is beautiful and even if it is cold, walk it as it will be worth it. also check out the churches as there are some of the most beautiful ones I have ever seen and even if you aren't into religion, they are a site to see.

qmr55

Thanks for all the above suggestions and ideas! I'm glad we picked a good hotel...was worried about that. Can't wait...

Marlene

I'm glad we picked a good hotel...was worried about that. Can't wait...

you picked one of the best and a great location. you will have fun, there's no way you can go to Montreal and not have a great time. the people both the French and the English will make you feel like a welcome guest. I used to go there every weekend before meeting my hubby and have a ton of memories of great times, lots of fun and good eats! do try the smoked meat as it is something you may not ever get the chance to have again as I live really close and haven't found a place that has it. also, try the poutine (may have spelled that wrong) you will never want regular fries again.

2NinerNiner2

...also, try the poutine (may have spelled that wrong) you will never want regular fries again.

Poutine? Poutine!!!... did someone mention poutine?!?!? :clapping:

Your cardiologist may not agree, but damn, it's soooooo tasty!

Photo is yet another from La Belle Provence (it was less than 2 blocks away)... poutine, regular fries (fresh, not frozen) and YUL smoked meat san on rye with mustard (I already ate the dill pickle! ) If you enjoy KFC gravy, then be sure to try the poutine at a PFK ... oops, KFC :)

PFK = poulet frites Kentucky

Attachments

• yul_smk_meat_poutine.jpg
    yul_smk_meat_poutine.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 46

Baz

Poutine - Smoke Meat ... God that stuff is good!!!:thumb: Just don't make it part of your regular diet or else you can bet you'll be needing bigger pants in a short time!

bigben

If you want a REAL poutine, go to ''la banquise'' 994 Rue Rachel Est
Montréal, H2J 2J3 (near metro Mont-Royal). Or if I'm aviable at this time, I'll bring you in Drummondville where they are inventor of it (1:30hr travel time).