• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Most magnetic magnets?

Signed Out

Looking for a stronger magnet material than magnum magnets 30 mil. Customer is using magnets on large machinery in a mill that shakes and vibrates a lot, magnets end up sliding around and eventually fall off. Anybody know of a stronger magnetic sheeting? We apply printed vinyl to magnets so it doesn't need to be printable.

Signed Out

I agree... However, the magnets are getting swapped out almost daily. Each machine has 12+ magnets that get swapped out, lots of machines. Decals won't work for their situation. I have suggested a magnetic board located near each machine, but that doesn't work for them either.

petepaz

i would suggest a snap frame or a slide frame holder that would be the easiest but if it has to be magnets you could make a pvc or some sort of rigid nameplate and mount these magnets to the back.
they have a pretty powerful magnet. also you can get magnetic vinyl in .060 thick that's better then the .030

attachment.php

Attachments

• MP301.jpg
    MP301.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Their machines must be made in China and only have 1/2 the required steel in them. Probably loaded down with crushed soda and beer cans in it, thus cutting down on the magnetic qualities on their end, not yours.........
Wha....?? it's Friday. :toasting:

cmwpmm

I'd go the velcro route too, but you might try a lighter magnetic. Magnum has an .020 that we use. It's basically 66% of the weight of the 030

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd go the velcro route too, but you might try a lighter magnetic. Magnum has an .020 that we use. It's basically 66% of the weight of the 030

Plus, it's more aerodynamic with that lower profile. Without as much weight or wind resistance, ya just might have a winning combination there. :thumb:

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Is the surface completely steel? Are there any moulding or gaps they are trying to bridge?

It sounds like wind isn't an issue so rounding corners probably doesn't matter all that much.

is the surface clean they are applying to? In general, are they applying the magnet correctly? Is it going on flat with 100% contact with a magnetic receptive surface?

Every time a customer told me their 30mil magnetic was falling off, I went to the site or looked at their trucks and found they were putting them on wrong.

The 20mil doesn't have the same holding power, but in your circumstances it might work better. They also make a 15 mil.
BTW: This might not apply here, but I always replaced the missing magnets free of charge one time as I saw it as my responsibility to educate my customers, and if I didn't do that when I handed them the magnets, then that was my own fault.

BTW: This might not apply here, but I always replaced the missing magnets free of charge one time as I saw it as my responsibility to educate my customers, and if I didn't do that when I handed them the magnets, then that was my own fault.

I agree with you 100% and this is my policy also, although my business partner may or may not not agree with me on that one. Nowadays, I make a copy of the care instructions sheet that comes with the Magnum roll and give it to each customer. Funny thing, since I started doing that a couple of years ago, we've yet to have one complaint about magnetic signs. I think the customers realize that this material does have limitations and if you don't follow the instructions to the word, as I'm sure most do not, you have no room to complain.