• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Most Used Sign Shop Tools

jchristians

I am in the process of setting up shop and wanting to make my "to buy" list. Do you mind listing your most used tools? Table Saw, Band Saw, Skill Saw, Panel saw etc etc etc. Thanks!

Sven

Definitely impact driver, drill, circular saw, rivet gun, chop saw, big squeegee, grinder, etc..

I'm sorry to post this here, but how do you start a new thread??! It's driving me CRAZY. I haven't posted here in a while, and it seems they've changed the way you post. I can't find it anywhere. Please advise..

Thanks,
Eric

jchristians

I'm sorry to post this here, but how do you start a new thread??! It's driving me CRAZY. I haven't posted here in a while, and it seems they've changed the way you post. I can't find it anywhere. Please advise..

You have to go into the Forums Tab and find the forum your topic relates to...there you can create a thread.

J Hill Designs

Definitely impact driver, drill, circular saw, rivet gun, chop saw, big squeegee, grinder, etc..

Thanks,
Eric

go to category and look for the big 'ol 'new thread' button

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
What kind of signs do you plan on making? That would go a long way towards determining what would be the most-used tool.
For example, if you do strictly graphics- a printer, plotter, and laminator would be your workhorses. Marketing signs? Toss in a panel saw and a circular saw to cut 4" x 4"s, rollers and paint. Interior/ADA focus? Engraver and a Braille pen. Formed faces? A vacuum forming table....
See what I mean?

J Hill Designs

What kind of signs do you plan on making? That would go a long way towards determining what would be the most-used tool.
For example, if you do strictly graphics- a printer, plotter, and laminator would be your workhorses. Marketing signs? Toss in a panel saw and a circular saw to cut 4" x 4"s, rollers and paint. Interior/ADA focus? Engraver and a Braille pen. Formed faces? A vacuum forming table....
See what I mean?

+1

dimensional lettering install? hammer drill

etc

jchristians

See what I mean?

Yeah, I see what you mean. More graphics focused, outsource engraver / formed and all them fancy signage. :) BTW, what is your source for vacuum formed signs and sign cabinets? Sorry, probably should start another thread. :)

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Yeah, I see what you mean. More graphics focused, outsource engraver / formed and all them fancy signage. :) BTW, what is your source for vacuum formed signs and sign cabinets? Sorry, probably should start another thread. :)
If you're focusing on graphics, I'd say plotter, printer, laminator, good sign program (Flexi, Signlab, whatever) to drive what needs it.
As for construction, we build our cabinets in-house. For vacuum forming, we use local sources. A Google search will show you plenty in your area.

Speedsterbeast

Invest in a safety ruler or three.
You WILL cut yourself if you try and use a thin straight edge for cutting.
I learned the hard way and bought one the day AFTER I took my fingertip off

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What size shop do you have ?? You say graphics...... towards vehicles, wraps, die-cut, outdoor/indoor signs or electric signs and building them ?? Welders, breaks, bucket truck..... and the list goes on. Perhaps a library of books on design, layout, elements and theory would help, too.

Really, you hafta grow into it. Find a direction you like and equip yourself for that. Conquer it and spread into other areas. Build a reputation and do everything at a fair and competitive cost and you'll be busy your entire career. Be honest with yourself and don't take on things for the sake of just doing it. Be true to yourself and your customers, but remember.... family always comes first, unless you're in the dog house, then work late that night........ good luck.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you going to have employees:
A large coffee pot and well equipped bathroom seem to be most used (at least around here).

wayne k
guam usa

Nat

Shop
Computers
Large Cutting Table
Alcohol and Spray bottles
Tape Measures
Clip Boards
Buckets to put tools in when out of the shop ( doubles as a garbage can )
Exacto knives and LOTS of Blades
Safety Cutter (Straight edge)
Scissors
Drill/Impact Gun
Large and Small Squares
Fletcher Gemini Cutter
Fletcher 3100 Wall mounted Cutter
Grommet Press
Bubble Levels
Lazer Level
Ladders
Large Laminater
Printer / Plotters
Small Paper Printer
Fax
Vinyl Racks
Heat Guns

Next 4 are about equal use

Panel Saw/Panel Router
Table saws
Skill saws
table router

Drill Press
Vacuum Cleaners
Air Compressor

Just off the top of my head
I need to get back to work now!
You Really could go on and on and on ......
This was a really good question

Thanks
Nat de Vries
natdevries@ymail.com

Sven

I want to add, if it hasn't been said here somewhere, that for masonry wall installs, a portable hammer drill is awesome--so much better than a corded one. Our BOSCH 18V is one of the best investments we've made.